fr tdi has got a couple of issues what do you think

Apr 12, 2010
hello bud .... nah not had enough time to have a look at it yet but i'm thinking subframe bolts possibly or steering rack ..... can't see it being the calipers BUT it could be .... seems to be when going nearly full lock in forward or reverse and not always doing it .... has had a clutch before i got it so subframe is a possibility

Check the big lock nut that secures the outer cv joint to the hub. I'd bet they reused one or both when the clutch was done (they're single use only) and its backed off causing play in the cv to hub when on lock. Incidentally I speak from experience as I had exactly that happen to me, sounded truly broken when it made the noise!

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Check the big lock nut that secures the outer cv joint to the hub. I'd bet they reused one or both when the clutch was done (they're single use only) and its backed off causing play in the cv to hub when on lock. Incidentally I speak from experience as I had exactly that happen to me, sounded truly broken when it made the noise!

Good call about that, had that happen on my st but that was worn splines in the hub loosening the nuts even after tightening with a six foot scaffy bar

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Well finally managed to get a 36mm impact socket which didn't fit in the hub properly so out with the grinder and got it to fit, marked the original position of the nuts and loosened and re torqued both and they haven't loosened so I guess it's the calipers..... Will have a look at them, and check all subframe bolts

So far full wishbones, arb bushes, drop links and cupra bushes

Last edited:

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Well finally managed to get a 36mm impact socket which didn't fit in the hub properly so out with the grinder and got it to fit, marked the original position of the nuts and loosened and re torqued both and they haven't moved so I guess it's the calipers..... Will have a look at them

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Well had another look at it today after trying to fix all the water leaks in the screen wash pipe and it doesn't knock when jacked up on full lock and the strut is hanging down and is definitely not the brake calipers arb or wishbones / ball joints/ console bushes or drop links as they're all brand new ..... Or top mount as they're new as well.... So it can only be either dry cv joints, steering rack movement / subframe movement or gearbox mount... Got to take airbox out tomorrow to fix sodding screen wash pipe so will have a look at that mount

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.