Parking Sensors

Adam_T

Jul 23, 2017
Hi all, I collected my new Leon during the week. As part of the deal, the sales guy agreed to fit rear parking sensors which I was happy about until I collected it, they aren't flush and don't match the paint colour of the car at all? They look tacky and totally ruin the look of the back of the it. Are dealer fitted sensors not supposed to be like the ones that come out of the factory?

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
It sounds like you may have an SE model. When I bought my SE in 2015, rear parking sensors were not listed as an individual option. They were only available as part of a Park Assistance Pack, which included a rear view camera.

However, I think they were included on SE models configured as hire cars together with a Convenience Pack.

If this is still the case, then they appear to have fitted after market sensors. They never look as good as the real thing.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
My wife's Leon had dealer fit sensors, they are colour matched and fit flush. Granted they don't look as nice as my Cupra's sensors but they don't look hideous.

The dealer fit sensors also do not interface with the head unit.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
You would have thought that dealer fit parking sensors would be the same part(s), irrespective of which dealer fitted them, so should look the same.

Adam_T and matthab; any chance of pictures so we can see If the two sets of dealer fit parking sensors are different? If matthab's look much more OEM compared to Adam_T's, might be worth Adam_T taking this up with his dealer.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
The lesson here is to ask the dealer in detail what you're getting.

New tyres = budget chinese ditchfinders
Full service = oil change (if you're lucky)
refurbished alloys = colouring in the gouges with a silver touch up pen.

They'll tell you anything to sign on that line.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
My two Leons, white one is the Cupra with factory fitted sensors. The green is a Leon SE with dealer fit.
be01289cfc1c563b3a3389f42b20780e.jpg
27329f4bb14f29d943b2eacc8f4cee5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
If you use a Cobra R0394 kit you can't tell the difference from the out side between them and OEM factory fit on the leon. They don't integrate with the display or anything like that but they work well. I have fitted some to an Ibiza and it was fairly easy and they look totally OEM

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you use a Cobra R0394 kit you can't tell the difference from the out side between them and OEM factory fit on the leon. They don't integrate with the display or anything like that but they work well. I have fitted some to an Ibiza and it was fairly easy and they look totally OEM

As above, only thing wrong or out of date there is that now Vodaphone have taken over Cobra! I took a different route and retro fitted, using same parts as factory but with the extra wiring coming from Kufatec as my 2011 S4 did already have rear mounted sensors from factory. So my system displays in the "radio" panel, I painted my own sensors using one of these VW Group twin spray packs and the car is a dark metallic blue and looks okay. The most worrying part is punching the holes in the bumper, I bought a kit that allows you to do that easily and it also has clamping fixtures so that you can hold the sensor mounting brackets while the bonding sets.

Unless you are desperate to get a visual indication of where the obstructions are these Vodaphone kits seem to be excellent, but if you need a visual indication then normally you would need to fit front and rear as per factory, maybe look at what Kufatec offers.

Adam_T

Jul 23, 2017
Will get a pic up of mine later today, mine aren't even as well done as the green Leon. The colour is completely different and there's a black ring on the sensor also.

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
TBH, I would never ever get a dealer to retro fit something, I learnt this the hard way as well. I bought my Mk2 and part of the deal was that they would fit bluetooth for hands free calling. What they fitted was an afterthought Nokia system... You never get the factory fitted item retro fitted it would seem.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Nothing wrong with Dealer retro fits, just understand what they are fitting.

I got the parking sensors thrown in and they showed me what they would look like as they had another car with it on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk