RNS 315 installed in pre-facelift Leon. Steering wheel buttons don't work.

johnkearns89

May 11, 2012
Hi all

I've recently got my hands on an almost new RNS-315 and fitted it to my early 2008 Leon. Overall, I'm fairly chuffed with the result:

300aedef7c1c8f1eeb080f1e3408ba87.jpg

At the time of writing, I am still waiting on the Bluetooth microphone arriving, so it is not fitted yet.

The problem now is that the MFSW controls do not work at all. I've tried a few bits and pieces with VCDS but no luck. Can anyone offer any advice about pre-fl 315 installs? I can't find much myself.

I'm aware that the RNS-315 was designed for the facelift generation of Leons and equivalent VWs, but I'm nearly sure I've read on here somewhere about someone having more success with pre-fl cars.

If it happens to be impossible to get the steering wheel buttons working, it might be a deal breaker. I may consider taking out the 315 and fitting the under-seat Bluetooth unit with a high line MFD. (Bluetooth was my priority, the satnav and pretty interface was just a bonus!! )

2ab599a35c3afeae7a9b84cb7ab2fe80.jpg

Other than that, the install went pretty well. I had to add an extra pin to the quadlock connector, as the pre-facelift Leon only had the one 12v supply, and two were needed. I just spliced the new pin's wire into the original 12v supply wire.

The other minor niggle is that the fascia surround is a very slightly different colour, even though the part number is correct. (Actually, I think the colour is the same, but the new part has a smoother texture than the surrounding panels)
It's no big deal though; I can live with it!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I don't think the rns315 is compatible with the pre face-lift mfd and wheel buttons. The 510 is I believe, but as the 315 was only ever fitted to face-lift models with the white mfd it isn't compatible with the older systems.

leontsibob

Feb 6, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Hi, I done the the same if you want the wheel buttons to work you need to change the canbus gateway for a newer one, my 58 plate pre facelift is the same the buttons dont work but im not to bothers, it would be interesting to see how much it would cost to upgrade the gateway

johnkearns89

May 11, 2012
Thanks for the info, appreciate it!
I'm not sure if I can justify spending any more on this project at the moment, there's a few other priorities for the cash right now.
Considering selling the 315 and using the money to put in a Bluetooth unit and high line display on the dash. Bluetooth was the main thing for me.
Then I could put in a 510 at a later date. Not sure :rolleyes:

johnkearns89

May 11, 2012
After a quick look on eBay I've found a few ranging from £25 - £70. (The cheap ones are made in China...)
Might be worth looking into. Would anyone know what's involved, or what part number I might need? I'll do a bit of digging through the forum, but if any of you could point me in the right direction, that would be great

vink89

Jan 11, 2016
I've got the same problem.
Already changed my canbus gateway but still no working steerings wheel controls. Also tried al lot with VCDS but no luck.
With an older RNS-310 is everything working fine.

Has anyone fixed it yet?

Last edited:

leontsibob

Feb 6, 2014
Buckinghamshire
What gateway did u get, I cant remember which canbus u need, what year is your car, where did u find the canbus, I might have a go, I think there is a thread some where on it

vink89

Jan 11, 2016
My car is from 2007 and I replaced the canbus gateway for 1K0-907-530AF
It came out of a crashed Volkswagen from 2011 which i found at a local car dealer.
It are all the same parts.

Last edited:

JMF894

Jul 11, 2014
Norfolk
I am looking into fitting a RNS unit into my 2008 FR Leon. I have phone bluetooth from the factory and different steering wheel buttons to you (phone). I see also that I have a separate larger MFD than you too. Did you resolve your issues or did you put your original system back in?

Is the 510 better suited to the pre f/l Leon?

Jimbo

vink89

Jan 11, 2016
No i never got my steering Wheel working.
Just using the rns to volume up/down

High_octane

Aug 27, 2016
Im going to have a rns 315 fitted to a 56 plate leon. I understand i'll need to add an extra pin to the quadlock connector, and splice the new pins wire into the original 12v supply. But should i expect problems with the unit draining the battery when the car is off? How is this prevented? It shouldn't need coding should it? Many thanks

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dbleon22

Oct 15, 2013
Hi there just on installing a rns315 into my 08 Leon where is the extra 12v power supply needed. Had anyone got any photos or diagrams? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

itsmeagain

Aug 4, 2012
Birmingham
I am looking into fitting a RNS unit into my 2008 FR Leon. I have phone bluetooth from the factory and different steering wheel buttons to you (phone). I see also that I have a separate larger MFD than you too. Did you resolve your issues or did you put your original system back in?

Is the 510 better suited to the pre f/l Leon?

Jimbo

RNS510 is a much better unit, plus it works straight away with your steering wheel controls. Bigger screen and better Nav in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnkearns89

May 11, 2012
Hi there just on installing a rns315 into my 08 Leon where is the extra 12v power supply needed. Had anyone got any photos or diagrams? Thanks in advance

As far as I remember it is the two connections labelled '+' and 'UB+'
If you're not sure compare the two connectors and see what is missing. I'm nearly 100% sure the extra one is right next to the original. I confirmed it on a bench with a 12v battery connected to both

johnkearns89

May 11, 2012
As far as I remember it is the two connections labelled '+' and 'UB+'
If you're not sure compare the two connectors and see what is missing. I'm nearly 100% sure the extra one is right next to the original. I confirmed it on a bench with a 12v battery connected to both
Mine came with this diagram on the back. I hope it helps
11fea03c9d06e607d370784243fb1155.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jul 15, 2020
Hi all

I've recently got my hands on an almost new RNS-315 and fitted it to my early 2008 Leon. Overall, I'm fairly chuffed with the result:

300aedef7c1c8f1eeb080f1e3408ba87.jpg

At the time of writing, I am still waiting on the Bluetooth microphone arriving, so it is not fitted yet.

The problem now is that the MFSW controls do not work at all. I've tried a few bits and pieces with VCDS but no luck. Can anyone offer any advice about pre-fl 315 installs? I can't find much myself.

I'm aware that the RNS-315 was designed for the facelift generation of Leons and equivalent VWs, but I'm nearly sure I've read on here somewhere about someone having more success with pre-fl cars.

If it happens to be impossible to get the steering wheel buttons working, it might be a deal breaker. I may consider taking out the 315 and fitting the under-seat Bluetooth unit with a high line MFD. (Bluetooth was my priority, the satnav and pretty interface was just a bonus!! )

2ab599a35c3afeae7a9b84cb7ab2fe80.jpg

Other than that, the install went pretty well. I had to add an extra pin to the quadlock connector, as the pre-facelift Leon only had the one 12v supply, and two were needed. I just spliced the new pin's wire into the original 12v supply wire.

The other minor niggle is that the fascia surround is a very slightly different colour, even though the part number is correct. (Actually, I think the colour is the same, but the new part has a smoother texture than the surrounding panels)
It's no big deal though; I can live with it!
Alright mate. I've got the 315 aswell mate how did you end up getting the Bluetooth microphone working mate ive tired loads of combination still can't get it to work

Many thanks

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise