Garmin portable sat nav help?

low3sy

Mar 5, 2015
hello all!

I wanted to see if I could update the maps on my dash mounted nav that came free with the Ibiza 6J on friday evening, before a long journey the following day.

also wanted to register the device to me etc etc. (i bought the car a month ago on a 13 plate so the device had already been setup and cam with box and no literature)

plugged it into the laptop and downloaded the Garmin express software but it would not recognise my device.:shrug:

so through a bit of googling someone suggested to download something called "fresh"

went ahead with this and it seemed to be what i needed to do this. it loads up with a Garmin screen and seems Seat orientated.
recognised my device and seemed like i was getting somewhere..
It suggested a "software update is available for your device so i went ahead and let it "update":funk:

it took about 30 mins to update and told me i could "now unplug the device"

once i did this the sat nav went into reboot mode and switched its self off, then came back on and prompted a screen "updating software" all seemed good..

now when I first switched the sat nav on before, there were some numbers pop up in the top left, cant remember them all but do remember OS:1.00

after the updated completed it now shows OS:2.33 so i thought yesss... ive updated the software.

but...

there's always a but!!!!

when it finished going through the updating screen it popped up to the standard grey Seat wallpaper screen that appears when the device is switched on with 3 little loading dots bouncing back and forth in the bottom right of the screen.. AND STAYED ON THAT SCREEN:blink:

i switched it off and on again and it would not load past this screen??

I even took it back and mounted it on the dash and waited for over 20mins on the "Seat" screen with these three dots bouncing back and forth in the bottom right of the screen.

in a panic (as i needed it for the following morning and time was getting on i went through the "restore to factory setting" procedure on the fresh software i had downloaded..

It took 3 hrs to restore to factory settings which i left overnight to do as this was close to midnight when i started.[:@]

had little sleep panicking i was going to be without the satnav for my long journey the following morning..

6am I came down to find the restore was complete.

dashed out to the car as i unplugged the satnav from the laptop it prompted me to " connect to your vehicle"

did as i was told and it loaded straight up, got past the Seat wallpaper screen and followed all instructions to select language, time format, country , miles or km etc etc. (as if it was brand new and never been set up at all) WAS I PLEASED:funk:

now i believe i'm still on the updated software as it still shows BL:3.62 OS:2.33 BT:h14423-y2r43

(hope that means something to you guys) ^^^

I just know thats different to what it used to display when first powered up?!?

sorry for the long winded post guys but i am a noob..

i have paired my phone and the device seems as it was before i messed with it but the only issue is, when i try to stream my music straight from my phone through the media player it stutters every second, like a stuck record?

it would blip occasionally before but maybe once an hr??

also when i try to search for new destination, it always asks me for country first?

what is the fix please guys or gals, any help would be gratefully received :)

Last edited:

low3sy

Mar 5, 2015
69 views ans still no input? surely someone can at least point me in the right direction?

Killersheep

Aug 9, 2015
Anyone got a solution yet? im having the same problem, just about to do a factory reset all i could get out of the sat nav after the update is like low3sy the dots in the corner. ill let you know if my music works when i do a reset

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
my garmin unit did the same exact thing, alwaqys stopping the music and restarting, it only happened after my misses decided she would connect hers also to listern to her music, ( the joy ), to fix it i disconnected both bluetooth devices from the unit and reconnected only mine, give this a try and see if you have any luck

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
The blue tooth issue is a fairly common issue to run into there is no fix that we've found yet as there is no diagnostic capability on these units that a seat dealer has access to.

DarkehFR

Apr 15, 2015
I did this on mine. It's the setting for which part of the address you enter first. If you switch it it asks for country every time. I can't remember the exact setting but I will check mine tomorrow.

And for the bt - check the stem is connected properly and remove re pair your phone.

For me I had similar issues when I used to take the full stem off each time. The device didn't seem to work right because it wasn't always fully connected. Now I leave the steam and remove the garmin only

Last edited:

DarkehFR

Apr 15, 2015
The country setting is in navigation settings / general / page 4 / input mode for address data. If this is set to street instead of city first (default) it asks for country when you try and set a new address manually.

ollie87

Mar 26, 2015
my garmin unit did the same exact thing, alwaqys stopping the music and restarting, it only happened after my misses decided she would connect hers also to listern to her music, ( the joy ), to fix it i disconnected both bluetooth devices from the unit and reconnected only mine, give this a try and see if you have any luck

This is the exact behaviour I've experienced. If you've got more than one phone paired and only one phone is currently connected it keeps dropping out. It's very annoying.

The unit in the Ibiza is such an afterthought, I've nearly thrown it out the window in a rage many a time.

Last edited:

x9moto

Oct 6, 2013
i had this happen on mine and what i found is that if the bluetooth is having to process commands while it is playing music the command gets priority meaning the audio drops untill the command is delt with, this can be phone side or nav side, try turning off live services while you are playing music as this uses the phones internet via bluetooth even if you dont register to send who knows what, also check phone for nasty apps that constantly fight for Bluetooth such as notifications and things like android wear for watches as they do a get status command every 20 secs or so, it may take a while but there is a bluetooth related setting that is causing this, once i found what it was for me its been superb ever since.

dont get discouraged by the navs few shortcomings because it is a truely fantastic little unit once you get into it, i modded mine to watch movies and cartoons from micro sd, i have internet radio with picons and station scroll via the fast forward and rewind, unit and stalk, its not the most powerfull but because it runs windows and not linux you can pretty much do anything with it, even use universal maps instead of paying silly money for updates, unlike the built in units where you are tied to a dealer.

Mat

BigARG

Mar 24, 2015
Essex
Had trouble with my sons Garmin after updating. Contacted Garmin. Basically do a factory reset. Worked for me. Here is the reply I got with links and instructions.

Thank you for contacting NAVIGON.

You can solve the problem you described by doing a device restore.

Please make sure that your Garmin device (Automotive) is fully charged before you start.

1. Use a USB cable to connect your Garmin device to the PC and start both.

2. Start Garmin Fresh on your Computer.

You can find Garmin Fresh here:

For Volkswagen: volkswagen.garmin.com/volkswagen/site/fresh
For Seat: seat.garmin.com/seat/site/fresh
For Škoda: skoda.garmin.com/skoda/site/fresh

3. In the upper horizontal menu bar, click on "My navigation device". A sub-menu opens.
4. Now select "Device Restore".
5. Log in with your myGARMIN information and follow the instructions.

Once the download is complete, you have successfully restored your device.
If you bought additional content, please install it again.

Chrise72

Jul 25, 2018
Hi i have just bought a 14 plate ibiza with a garmin satnav. Its frustrating that the previous owners chose not to.update the maps as hey are on 2013 maps. Now the fresh software wants me to pay £55 to get the 2018 q1 maps on it. Ive just paid 7k for my car and to get my sat mav to work as it want it i have pay for it the main dealer i bought it from refuses to help with this situation. How can i get round this situation as where i live the roads on the device are so out of date my friend lives in a field and i did a 40 mile journey and most of the time it was not showing roads i was on or roads of them. So totally useless. Help please anyone?

Fletch

Jan 28, 2016
Hastings
Hi i have just bought a 14 plate ibiza with a garmin satnav. Its frustrating that the previous owners chose not to.update the maps as hey are on 2013 maps. Now the fresh software wants me to pay £55 to get the 2018 q1 maps on it. Ive just paid 7k for my car and to get my sat mav to work as it want it i have pay for it the main dealer i bought it from refuses to help with this situation. How can i get round this situation as where i live the roads on the device are so out of date my friend lives in a field and i did a 40 mile journey and most of the time it was not showing roads i was on or roads of them. So totally useless. Help please anyone?

You can update the maps unofficially with the most recent versions. (but these still can sometime not include new roads etc for 6-12 months). Its quite easy to do, just involves replacing the files... I wont say anymore here in case its not alllowed.

sabatar

Oct 1, 2014
Poland
According notation: BL:3.62 OS:2.33 BT:h14423-y2r43
BL: Bootloader version 3.62
BT: Bluetooth version h14423-y2r43.
I've done firmware update in 2015 by Fresh to the same versions (after bought in 2014). From this time I don't hear about newer versions.

Last edited:

Chrise72

Jul 25, 2018
You can update the maps unofficially with the most recent versions. (but these still can sometime not include new roads etc for 6-12 months). Its quite easy to do, just involves replacing the files... I wont say anymore here in case its not alllowed.
Hi you can contact me on chrise72 @ skydotcom
If you can help me update i would appreciate it cheers.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise