Anyone got a 1.4 Xcellence?

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Looking to change car shortly and am tempted to upgrade from SE 1.2 to the 1.4 Xcellence.

My main concern is the handling as I've never been completely confident in my current models handling on bends/roundabouts. I was putting this down to either the tyres or the 16" rims and tyre flex.

I know many will suggest the FR with 18's to improve this but I'd be interested to hear owners experience of the Xcellence model.

rmkvi

Jul 31, 2017
I test drove one (the ST model) and liked it. Isn't too stiff for riding on rough surfaces, but then again feels sportier than Golf, Octavia etc. Felt a lot more confident in bends than my old A3 with 17" wheels.

I have now one Leon ST 1.4 Xcellence on order as well.

Edit: I don't know how much of a difference it would be with your current one. If the rims are the issue then it is easier and cheaper to get bigger rims, but this doesn't necessarily improve the handling in steep bends. Stiffer suspension (lowering springs) could help. I doubt there is much difference between Xcellence and your current one in suspension.

Last edited:

Bengal

Feb 22, 2014
Been driving mine around for 5 months now and the ride is quite soft and you dont really feel the bumps and ramps like you do in the FR

Its taken corners without any handling issues (plenty of times in the rain at 30+!)

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Thanks for the replies guess best option is to try and find one at a dealership and then see how it is on a test drive if it’s better than my current car then I’ll go for it else try an FR as well.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Can't fault my FR in the bends after 4 months and I came from a 66 plate 1.2 se dynamic technology. Suspension was too soft and bouncy for my liking and body roll wasn't great either. Stiffer sports suspension in the fr is a vast improvement without compromising on comfort and I have the 18s. I like a sportier ride though just to clarify.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
Stiffer sports suspension in the fr is a vast improvement without compromising on comfort

And for balance, I found the FR suspension too harsh on bumpy country lanes where I live. I have a specc'd up SE as the suspension is more suited to my driving and the roads I use. If the Xcellence spec had been available in 2015 I definitely would have ordered one.

To the OP, I have never found handling lacking in my car with 'comfort' suspension, even though I live in Wales where roads are pretty twisty. I don't hoon around in my car though, I have a motorbike for that.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
I think the main issue is the smaller wheels/tyres rather than suspension previous car had same size wheels but was 4x4 and this handled great I find current current car understeers and does have much feedback from the wheel. But will test both to be sure.