Why I use a Micro Sd card for music..

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Having just got my new, to me, Leon I have finished going through the manuals.. Yep I do read them.. Helps me sleep... Lol

What I would like to say is why I use micro sd cards with adaptor rather than use a full size sd card for music.

Even though the manual recommends we don't use them

8b9584c259c766faacf2f90416dd6171.jpg

I have and it works fine.... The card I'm using is :

760f70fb72358f3a70e8d783394be32d.jpg

And my reason for using it is for convenience.. I am always adding and deleting music from my library. And with this card and a usb type adaptor:

1a6c2b4129d299ff643e1f9e373ebd3f.jpg

I can just whip out the micro sd card, plug it into my phone and add or delete the music as I need to. So much easier than using a full size sd card or USB hard drive where you would most likely need to source a PC or laptop to do the same thing.....

This is just my 2 cents worth. I find 32gb of music more than enough...

Pops848

Mar 29, 2017
I'm too lazy to be updating cards when my music genre fancies a change, I just use spotify and bluetooth haha

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I wonder if they also meant putting a memory card into an adaptor (USB one) then plugging it into the USB port?

Or did it say specifically under SD card section?

I have a 8GB Transcend I've been using since day 1 with the Leon and now Ibiza, works great! Shows Album art too!

I only have about 600 songs though, more than enough for me, else it will be DAB radio. Only used the CD player couple of times in almost 2.5 yrs.

Last edited:

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
For those who stream via Bluetooth, do you find any loss in audio quality? I like to play audio files at least mp3 320kb/s. If I down convert from cd or flac, then I use acc.
The seat system isn't great (not bad but not great) to start with, so I'm trying not to add to the so-so audio quality.
I guess I got spoilt in my last car, 10 speakers, 8 components and 2 (underseat) subs.... Need the boot space...
I'm no audiophile by any means, but I spent a few years upgrading the last car. I guess you end up getting used to what your ears are hearing.
I will as time allows mod this audio system too...
To be fair, I haven't ever tried to stream audio from my phone hence that was why I was asking. I will give it the old college try and see how my delicate ear audio receptors handles it.. Lol

Last edited:

iby104

Aug 2, 2017
Only downside with streaming via bluetooth, it does not allow using the slider to forward/rewind track

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
For those who stream via Bluetooth, do you find any loss in audio quality? I like to play audio files at least mp3 320kb/s. If I down convert from cd or flac, then I use acc.
The seat system isn't great (not bad but not great) to start with, so I'm trying not to add to the so-so audio quality.
I guess I got spoilt in my last car, 10 speakers, 8 components and 2 (underseat) subs.... Need the boot space...

Did you used to have the HK sound system on a Mini? I've heard this, it's amazing!

I believe the best sound will come from CD, followed by SD Card (assuming high bit-rate), then probably at the end anything that plays wirelessly. USB disk should be ok too!

In your seat, do you have the 8 speaker or 10 speaker set up?

From my experience, the 8 speaker sound system is decent, especially if you are waiting in traffic, with engine off, any speeds more than 30mph, then well road/wind/engine noise will negate whatever fidility the speakers may have...bass especially diminishes quickly.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
For those who stream via Bluetooth, do you find any loss in audio quality?

There definitely would be, but I doubt I could really tell the difference on the standard car audio set up... especially with the engine and road noise in the background. For the convenience of not having any cables and automatic connection when you get in it's well worth any trade-off (in my opinion).

Pops848

Mar 29, 2017
My speakers are a bit crackly, so tbh, loss of quality isn't noticed really.

I want t retrofit seat sound and then upgrade my door speakers.

Does anyone know the size of the door speakers?

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
No, my last car was a Toyota Auris. I swapped out all the oem stuff and added my own.

My present leon only has 6 speakers I believe. 4 up front and 2 in rear doors.

I will start by upgrading speakers then adding my underseat subs.....amazing how much better quality you get from a set of good speakers driven properly to match the head unit output.

I will then look at swapping out the head unit. Once I find out what adaptor cables I need to retain the use of the steering wheel controls....

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
No, my last car was a Toyota Auris. I swapped out all the oem stuff and added my own.

My present leon only has 6 speakers I believe. 4 up front and 2 in rear doors.

I will start by upgrading speakers then adding my underseat subs.....amazing how much better quality you get from a set of good speakers driven properly to match the head unit output.

I will then look at swapping out the head unit. Once I find out what adaptor cables I need to retain the use of the steering wheel controls....

In that case you might also want to soundproof the doors, or you will get lots of rattles!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My speakers are a bit crackly, so tbh, loss of quality isn't noticed really.

I want t retrofit seat sound and then upgrade my door speakers.

Does anyone know the size of the door speakers?

As far as I know, fronts are 8 inch and rears are 6.5 inch.

I never really heard anything crackly...are they also crackly even playing from a CD?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.