Looking to buy a Leon

Wilson9

Oct 12, 2010
Been a while since I've been on here.

Looking at buying a Leon again but unsure on what I really need spec wise.
Looking at an FR again after having a mk2 a few years ago. Currently have an Astra J SRI 1.7cdti. It's possibly the crappest car I've ever owned and I've had a Peugeot :rolleyes:

Unsure if I should go for the 150 or 184 tdi. Wanting the winter pack for the heated seats, again do I really need them. Main thing I need is a 5 door

Any help is greatly appreciated.

QuietQuackers

Feb 14, 2007
Cheshire
The 184 has multilink rear suspension instead of torsion beam and a few other differences (can't remember off the top of my head). I had one for a year and it won't disappoint. Heated seats are nice, I'd spec them again.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I had the 150 estate and it was a terrific car. Heated seats were used far more often than you expect. If you were thinking diesel just for mileage reasons then i wouldn't rule out the 150 as it was great on fuel, especially with the eco mode going down to 2 cylinders. I once did Southampton to Inverness on one tank! The rear parking camera also comes in handy if that is an option to you.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I had the 150 estate and it was a terrific car. Heated seats were used far more often than you expect. If you were thinking diesel just for mileage reasons then i wouldn't rule out the 150 as it was great on fuel, especially with the eco mode going down to 2 cylinders. I once did Southampton to Inverness on one tank! The rear parking camera also comes in handy if that is an option to you.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

You only get the 2 cylinder thing with the 1.4 150 ACT (Active Cylinder Technology) not the diesel 150 that I think the OP is probably asking about

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
The Cupra has totally different suspension from the FR184. The shocks and springs are mounted separately on the Cupra as they are magnetically damped. The FR has the standard 'shock within the spring's setup' but you can get the same setup if you order the DCC package for the FR.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pops848

Mar 29, 2017
I've got the 1.6 TDI with tech pack, for me the purchase was based on my mileage, around 25k a year.
I drive like miss daisy most the time and it's 90% or more on motorways, I see around 63mpg / 650 miles to a tank.

The power is plenty for normal driving but I'm sure the 2.0 engine gives that extra pulling power. I have a DSG gearbox and sometimes it annoys me as you put your foot down to nip out on a roundabout and it's a bit sluggish, throwing it into sport mode and it works well enough but tends to over rev, again probably not so much on the 2.0

Spec wise I wish I had ACC and auto lights / wipers but the mileage on this car was so low it made more economical sense.
For me, I'm not bothered about heated seats, nice extra for sure but unless it has leather seats I won't miss them a great deal.

I'd like a Tesla next, but if not I'd happily have another Leon but I'd probably go for the 2.0 and look for a few more extras fitted.

One thing I'd mention is that the sat nav is useless, don't bother with it, and also I love the LED lights, they're awesome!

sheffield

Jan 11, 2017
Been a while since I've been on here.

Looking at buying a Leon again but unsure on what I really need spec wise.
Looking at an FR again after having a mk2 a few years ago. Currently have an Astra J SRI 1.7cdti. It's possibly the crappest car I've ever owned and I've had a Peugeot :rolleyes:

Unsure if I should go for the 150 or 184 tdi. Wanting the winter pack for the heated seats, again do I really need them. Main thing I need is a 5 door

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have my 14 plate FR 184, with heated seats, 18"s and Alcantara up for sale at the moment, as I took delivery of a 300 last month.

I test drove a 150, then had a go in a 184, the extra power was just a bit more fun, but not necessarily essential.

However, heated seats make a ton of difference in the winter, got them on the 300 now.

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
I read a couple of reviews which specifically said the 150 and 184 Tdi's and the 1.8TSi all had multilink rear suspension, unless the 2017 facelift changed it, check out the Honest John 1.8TSi Leon video review where he mentions multilink, being a Newbie I cannot post the linky.

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
The issue I had was there were a lot fewer 184's for sale. So it took me about 6 months to find a suitable car. Then again I'm fussy and I had to have a 3dr 184.

OP it's up to you, you need to decide what your priorities are. Is it the extra poke, brakes and suspension of the 184?
or would a well spec'd 150 do?

Definitely go for the 18's.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
You can my car below which is the 184ST FR and I also have a work bus which is a newer Audi A3 saloon S line 150bhp tdi with 6 speed DSG and heated seats.

I get around 630 miles to a tank of heavy out of either car and the 150 is a lot of fun up to legal speeds, The 184 makes a different when pulling past 80mph( where allowed)

Get a lease quote on the A3 as well as the Leon FR and fgs don't buy a new Leon, mine dropped from 25 grand to 9 grand in 3 years.

My son leases his 184 SC FR and yes only the 184 have multi-link rear suspension

Edited t add that the seats in the A3 S line are in a different league to the FR seats with pneumatic height and depth adjustable lumbar supports, seat squab tilt, seat squab extender and real leather trim.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
I found the 150 a bit uninspiring, flat and not that good on fuel. It had beam suspension for the record. On the back of my 150 experience I'd go 184.

Wilson9

Oct 12, 2010
Thanks for all the replay. Finding a 184 with decent mileage is starting to become an obsession. There are loads of 150s fairly well specced.
I could probably live without heated seats, but I like the idea of being warm.
The 150 is also 200 cheaper on insurance which is surprising.

Wilson9

Oct 12, 2010
I have my 14 plate FR 184, with heated seats, 18"s and Alcantara up for sale at the moment, as I took delivery of a 300 last month.

I test drove a 150, then had a go in a 184, the extra power was just a bit more fun, but not necessarily essential.

However, heated seats make a ton of difference in the winter, got them on the 300 now.

Do you still have the car for sale?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members