1.8T Engine Misfiring - 01165 - Throttle Body Control Module (J338)

Vitamin T

Hello Guys,

I have a 2002 1.8T AGU Engine.

I was driving yesterday and sudenly the engine begins to shake and misfiring. I was close to my house so I go back.

Other thing is that when I start the engine with the door open, I can fill a strong fuel odor.

Check with VCDS LITE(not registeret)for trouble codes and this is what I got

01165 - Throttle Body Control Module (J338)
17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent

I havent:

Disconected the car batery
Play with the VCDS LITE
Cleaned the throttle body or do it a adaptation.

I just hook the OBD Conector and check for the trouble code and decide to come here to post the problem.

What can be the problem? Any advise?

THX

Isaac

Mike1989

Jul 30, 2017
Milton Keynes
I have recently had a throttle body issue with my 05 LCR 1.8t BAM. As you have said it would splutter and misfire on idle. Mine would go into limp home mode under light throttle always around 25-30%. I tried a battery reset and a throttle body adaption which didn't work. Then I cleaned it a couple of times but still had same problem. All wiring was checked out ok. Turned out to be damaged teeth on the gears inside the throttle body. Definitely worth unclipping the back plastic cover to check the gears as two of mine had damaged teeth so I need to replace mine. Just make sure the moisture seal is clean and properly seated before you put the cover back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vitamin T

Hello Guys

Well, problem is solved but check this out.

I decided to erase the code, start the engine and its still misfiring with strong fuel odor. I drive the car like this just a block of my house and the come back.

Check again with the VCDS Lite and for my surprise, no error code:confused:

Since engine was still misfiring like running in 3 cylinders, I decide to check if my coil packs are OK.

Start by removing coil Pack from Plug No. 1 and there was not change in engine sound, so change Coil Pack from Cylinder 2 to Cylinder 1 and put the Coil Pack from cylinder 1 in the Cylinder 2 and still the same.

Since my engine is AGU code, it use a transistor module No. 4D0 905 351 thats goes screw to the air filter box thats is in charge to triguer the coil packs.

Open it with a X-Acto knive, found out that there was a transistor that has a loose wire. Soldering that wire was a pain in the ass, almost imposible! I have to use a 140 watts soldering to make the solder wire to stick.

Close again the case with silicone glue and know all the problems goes away and the engine is running fine :rofl:

What I dont understand is why I got a malfunction code that was referring to the Throttle Body Control Module?

Also, why I never got the code about the bad coil pack or transistor box?

I decided to order a new transistor box in e-bay for $35.00 for backup in case.............

Well hope this info help any one here.

Thx,

Isaac

cffe44as-960.jpg

c3fe44as-960.jpg

Mike1989

Jul 30, 2017
Milton Keynes
Hi mate. Very interesting. Maybe it put the throttle body code in there because it put itself in limp mode and restricted the throttle? Anyways glad you got it sorted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.