Best product to remove wax from plastics

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Just after a bit of advice in terms of removing wax from plastics. Either that or I'm getting it wrapped.

Not my doing contamination of a service clean from seat with wax already on the vehicle
351a96ca0b196451ac9646ce8bb81dc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
Try a tar remover on it first i often find its very good for removing stubborn things like glue and wax

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I just did a search on Google and this seems to be quite a common issue.

I was surprised that some of the Google hits suggested that using a pencil eraser on the affected grained/textured plastic will remove wax/polish residue - I've not tried it myself, but most people will have a pencil eraser (if not, it's cheap to buy one) so it would be worth trying. Seems to work in this YouTube video;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NZrrPQuN8LI

Assuming it would work on your rear number plate panel, I'd finish off by using a plastic and rubber trim dressing product to restore the colour back to the factory black.

Hughes395

Mar 29, 2016
I see a lot of professionals using the professional version of that its called a magic eraser you have to be super careful with it but it restores plastics like a dream. Like you say id apply some trim resorting gel after. Make sre to never touch the magic eraser on the paint as it will be about as bas rubbing a rock in

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Once you clean it off coat in Gtechniq C4. That will keep it clean for months

Last edited:

MrRilo

Jun 4, 2016
Buxton, Derbyshire
Had similar and tried all sorts of products but as it wears off it becomes visible again. They just hid it for a while.

Last time I used a standard bumper restoring product but brushed it vigorously with a stiff plastic bristled scrubbing brush.

Been weeks now and no sign of it coming back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Get yourself a plain pencil eraser it will remove any wax or polish residue. I use a Staedtler Mars Plastic Pencil Eraser. And blend with silicon spray it's that simple.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Only had to do this a few times over the years so I need to get myself a bit of trim to practice on.

Last time I used Finishline Ecotech 2 which is a degreaser sold through the cycle trade. A cheaper product that I would try is Elbow Grease which costs 1 GBP from discounters like poundland.

On Youtube you see americans using either Isoprpyl alcohol on a rag or white spirit on a rag.

I wouldnt use a magic erasor, they are an abbrasive, but I might risk a pencil rubber.

I would finally retrim with anything from AG bumper trim or AG vinyl trim or perhaps 303 protectant or Sonax Xtreme Kunststoff Gel or Gtechniq C4 or at the moment I am using the new ArmorAll Shield on all external surfaces apart from the windscreen.

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
It's rough, textured durable plastic. There's really no need for chemicals or all that faffing about.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It's rough, textured durable plastic. There's really no need for chemicals or all that faffing about.

^+1. Pencil eraser; costs nothing if you've got one in the house (most people will have).

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Well girls and guys I've done it.

I've made two 11 min videos doing my back bumper the plate plastic areas took about 20 mins being rather slow but the results are fantastic.

Will post my video on YouTube and link you in.

Did make a slight boo boo setting up my camera and placing the sponge for plastics only on the ground

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Contrast between be for and after with small plastic trim not been done yet
71aa7cfaa6b93288d8877f7f3731be10.jpg

TMO

Feb 15, 2008
Stafford, Staffs
Stupid question........ You didn't actually say what you used? :D

Mine isn't as extreme then yours but defiantly needs some attention.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
This thread made me have a look at some wax on my valance. I tried meths, (my go-to for removing sticky marks etc), which worked well. All residue evaporates. Cleaning mirrors with fast glass, I gave the plastic a rub and this worked too. I'm hesitant to try the rubber trick, reckon it will cause marks that show up from certain angles.

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Peanut butter/oil works really well, a bit on a microfibre and then give it a little scrub and it will all come off and have some protection on it afterwards too.

Everyone thought I was crazy when they walked into the garage and saw that with the other cleaning stuff!

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Sorry for the late reply and yeah peanut butter if you can get peanut oil that's better but literally pasting peanut butter on and wiping it off brings it back better most products you come across with.

That's what I used to remove the wax

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.