CUPRA with DSG - How are people driving it round town

nbullus

Apr 21, 2017
Had my Cupra 300 for a few days now and I have to admit that in Sport and Cupra modes whilst driving round town with traffic etc, I hate it as the its keeping holding of the gears far too long even when you try and drive it gentle.

I tried these profiles out with the DSG box swapped from Sport to Drive mode and it does make it a lot more bearable in traffic due to the quicker gear changes and you can still kick down when necessary, but not sure whether changing the DSG box from Sport to Drive is effecting any of the other dynamics of the Sport and Cupra profles.

How are other people driving theirs when they don't want the car to go screaming everywhere when your around town or stuck In traffic. Are people using the Comfort profile or setting their own profile up?

Interested in other views

JohnWB87

Aug 14, 2017
Midlands
I'm of the understanding that the gearbox is separate to the other settings.
I use individual with Cupra engine but knock it in to D. If I want something in between I'll use the paddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Comfort with DSG in drive for town driving. As you say with the DSG in sport it holds onto gears far too long. I also have created an Individual profile with the engine in Cupra mode as I like the quicker throttle response.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Day to day driving I keep it in D. Only when pressing on do I go for sport and even then I'd prob go for manual mode. As op stated sport mode not very intuitive meaning the box keeps hold of gears when not needed. I have individual profile selected and configured to cupra for engine / diff but dcc set to comfort for normal driving.

campbell_p30

Feb 20, 2003
Belfast
Visit site
Coming from all previous manual cars I don't like the way D races up through the gears so quickly and S too slowly.
Control freak in me keeps it in manual and use paddles or stick to pick the fear I want when I want it.
Limited experience of D mode (and autostart kicking in at 5mph!) gave me a scare. Busy traffic and wanting to cut across traffic into side street I slowed down and just as the gap appeared and was just pressing accelerator the autostop kicked in and then restarted with a delay before going forward - not a pleasant feeling.
In very slow traffic in D it changes to 2nd immediately and goes forward too quickly requiring braking whereas in manual I can keep it in 1st and the car just moves along slowly with the flow of the traffic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

silles

May 4, 2017
Same in the 1.4 ... D mode changes to quickly and when u hesitate acceleration for a second it's already at at 1500RPM than u try to accelerate than has to **** back. I prefer sport mode even if it keeps the engine reving ...

and hate stop-start, first thing i turn off after stating the car

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I had the DSG box in my previous FR184. I thought the box suited that particular engine perfectly in all conditions. The car was always in the right gear and shifted at the exact time needed/expected (in D mode)

I rarely knocked it into S as holding the gears longer would take the engine out of it's narrow torque band, and not to mention the stupid soundaktor drone!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
I leave mine in cupra mode constantly and just flick the dsg between sport and drive depending on how I'm driving.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Nah not really, don't really notice much difference between the settings tbh.
What car do you have? I have a 290 ST and can't take it out of comfort in town. Perhaps you have a very generous council that resurface the roads often.

I think if the road surface is decent then Cupra mode could even be slightly harder but unfortunately not on UK roads, not those around me anyway.

aaaa_kk

Nov 19, 2016
Crawley, West Sussex
I use mine in Cupra mode but just switch the box to D if I drive around normally then flick it to S then manual if I fancy a blast around. After having the APR dsg software, in D mode the gearbox doesn't change up as aggressively now and will hold 2nd/3rd when going round roundabouts and round corners instead of trying to get to 6th gear as soon as it can. Massively improved over the stock software.

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
This is my first non-manual car and I'm still getting used to the DSG, I really don't like it, but here you can't buy a manual Cupra, just the DSG.

anyway, I keep the car in Individual with everything in Normal/Eco and changed the throttle response un VCDS to be linear like in Cupra mode and try to deal with it since traffic is packed , weather is hot as hell and the mileage is crap in this conditions.

I just wish there were more options to configure in the Individual program since I don't like the "coast" function that much and I feel the DSG response is slow, but there are only Motor, A/C and Steering options available in the screen.

Anyone know if VCDS can enable more options to fine-tune the individual program?

JohnWB87

Aug 14, 2017
Midlands
This is my first non-manual car and I'm still getting used to the DSG, I really don't like it, but here you can't buy a manual Cupra, just the DSG.

anyway, I keep the car in Individual with everything in Normal/Eco and changed the throttle response un VCDS to be linear like in Cupra mode and try to deal with it since traffic is packed , weather is hot as hell and the mileage is crap in this conditions.

I just wish there were more options to configure in the Individual program since I don't like the "coast" function that much and I feel the DSG response is slow, but there are only Motor, A/C and Steering options available in the screen.

Anyone know if VCDS can enable more options to fine-tune the individual program?

Coast is only enabled in eco engine mode so change that.

JohnWB87

Aug 14, 2017
Midlands
To my knowledge and from my experience the engine modes are essentially different throttle maps. The soundaktor volume is also changed.
I'm not sure I've noticed a higher idle with different engine modes but certainly between D and S on the gearbox.

campbell_p30

Feb 20, 2003
Belfast
Visit site
To my knowledge and from my experience the engine modes are essentially different throttle maps. The soundaktor volume is also changed.
I'm not sure I've noticed a higher idle with different engine modes but certainly between D and S on the gearbox.

Comfort idles just below 1000rpm whereas sport, Cupra etc idle just over 1000.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

madvello

Jul 6, 2017
Estonia
Had my Cupra 300 for a few days now and I have to admit that in Sport and Cupra modes whilst driving round town with traffic etc, I hate it as the its keeping holding of the gears far too long even when you try and drive it gentle.

I tried these profiles out with the DSG box swapped from Sport to Drive mode and it does make it a lot more bearable in traffic due to the quicker gear changes and you can still kick down when necessary, but not sure whether changing the DSG box from Sport to Drive is effecting any of the other dynamics of the Sport and Cupra profles.

How are other people driving theirs when they don't want the car to go screaming everywhere when your around town or stuck In traffic. Are people using the Comfort profile or setting their own profile up?

Interested in other views

You just need some time with DSG. For me it took about 6 months, now I have had DSG cars since 2011 (all had/have DQ250). If you need fast start use Sport mode, but usually D is totally ok.
Manual if no option anymore, maybe for Sunday car but this is a different topic.

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
I just ordered some extension paddles, hopefully they will help to make the shifting less cumbersome than with the tiny paddles or the less-than-responsive shifter.

I've had the chance to own a few DSG vehicles in the past, but always opted for a manual instead. My wife couldn't be happier than this one is DSG since she hates heavy clutch pedals from sport cars

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I just ordered some extension paddles, hopefully they will help to make the shifting less cumbersome than with the tiny paddles or the less-than-responsive shifter.

The extansions do make it a more comfortable and natural position for your hands I find.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise