Lowering Cupra 290, Better or Worse Handling?

F0zzie

Aug 27, 2017
Hi everybody,

I want to give my Cupra more aggressive look by lowering it. I'm not sure what it will do to the handling.
Anyone here going to the track once in a while and have a lowered Cupra 280/290?

Thanks

Last edited:

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
In my previous experiences with other cars, lowering has always improved the handling as generally, you're adding in stiffer shorter springs and lowering the cars centre of gravity.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

F0zzie

Aug 27, 2017
In my previous experiences with other cars, lowering has always improved the handling as generally, you're adding in stiffer shorter springs and lowering the cars centre of gravity.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In my experience in some cars lowering makes the handling worse, for example Peugeot 205 GTI.

I hate to spend the money on a new Eibach/VWR/ST springs and after visit the track remove it.

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
Haven't got experience in the Cupra, but on my previous cars, lowering them yielded better performance in the motorway and fast courses, but the contrary on shorter circuits and autocross if you didn't add stickier rubber to the mix since you're removing mechanical grip even if the center of gravity is lower, but the tires can't cope with the increase in weight transfer due to less dampening.

Deleted member 103408

The other thing you can do to give it a more aggressive look is add a front splitter and side spoilers.

I personally added a maxton front and side (check out my pics) but there are lots of different ones for your own personal taste.
The benefit for me is they look more aggressive, lower to the eye but you don't have issues with speed bumps.

I am looking (and its not a cheep option) at the KW DCC Plug & Play Coilovers as they still give me the ability to have comfort or race settings but it is at a price. But what i don't want is a car that is just for the track and does not work for the family

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
As long as you stick with a good quality brand of kit and don't go too low you should improve the handling but unfortunately some ride comport may be lost.

Damian @ DPM Performance

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Dont see the point with the Cupra, it looks fairly low and is easy to live with. Plus the adaptive suspension is great at the height it is at.

When I used to lower cars they were just a pain having to watch you dont catch stuff.

koenvanh

May 27, 2017
Dont see the point with the Cupra, it looks fairly low and is easy to live with. Plus the adaptive suspension is great at the height it is at.

When I used to lower cars they were just a pain having to watch you dont catch stuff.

Hmm, I don't agree with you, the high speed handling is horrendous. Ever tried 150+ mph and lift off the gas and/or hard braking? Tried it once, don't want to try it again before I change the suspension.

steveleigh13

Sep 7, 2017
Bit random. But anyone know where the speed sensor is on a 2005 leon FR 1.9 tdi. Lost my speedo. And the petrol light beep is driving me to insanity. Everytime i turn a corner.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

F0zzie

Aug 27, 2017
I read many recommendations on the VWR springs 20-25 with the stock suspension and they support DCC.

Although I want a bit more drop (25-30 or 30-35) I think I'll go for them and add front lip maybe side skirts too.

F0zzie

Aug 27, 2017
I contacted my local supplier and he told me that the VWR Springs are out of stock, he recommended instead the ST Springs 20-20 and DCC support.

Are the ST Springs good as the VWRs?

Last edited:

F0zzie

Aug 27, 2017
Update:

I eventually found and installed Eibach Sportline 25-20 the drop makes the car look way better, more aggressive (I also added a lip) and the handling is about the same (a bit better on quality roads/track). My only concern is that my front wheels crashing in every hole. Very scary, I find myself checking the tires and rims after every big hole. For now I'm not sure if it worth it. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise