Tank capacity

arg

Dec 13, 2016
Why can I only get 44 litres in my tank when the distance to go meter reads 0 miles?

In theory there is 6 litres left, but since I don't if I can only get 44 litres in or the gauge is under reading, is there a way to pump the fuel out of the tank to see how much is left?

i.e. disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter and enable the fuel pump in the tank, to pump it into an external container?

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Fuel gauge can be recalibrated via VCDS iirc.

Draining the fuel is more trouble than it's worth via the method you describe. Syphoning the tank would be more sensible than disassembling it imo.

Or:
-Put a 10 litre can of fuel in the boot,
-when Range = 0 reset the trip computer and drive
-when the engine coughs immediately pull over and add your fuel, drive to the nearest petrol station and fill up.
you now have the answer.

I've managed 40 miles past Range = 0, bearing in mind that the range calc is based on the last 30 kms moving average, hence why it typically increases after a cold start.
Have fun, and welcome to the forum.:)

Last edited:

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Fuel gauge can be recalibrated via VCDS iirc.

Draining the fuel is more trouble than it's worth via the method you describe. Syphoning the tank would be more sensible than disassembling it imo.

Or:
-Put a 10 litre can of fuel in the boot,
-when Range = 0 reset the trip computer and drive
-when the engine coughs immediately pull over and add your fuel, drive to the nearest petrol station and fill up.
you now have the answer.

I've managed 40 miles past Range = 0, bearing in mind that the range calc is based on the last 30 kms moving average, hence why it typically increases after a cold start.
Have fun, and welcome to the forum.:)

Don't do this. It could be a bleeding nightmare. Pun intended.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
If you pull the nozzle out slightly when filling you will find you can actually get another 6 litres in.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
There will always be an amount left in your tank when your range reads zero, it's the reserve. You wouldn't be too happy if the moment your range indicated 0 the engine stopped, would you? Hence the reserve. Plus, the range to zero is not precise, it can vary according to driving styles.
I have driven 30 miles when the range has read zero when out in the wilds , so there must be a good amount. Not something I'd wish to repeat though.:help:
Not really sure why you want this info any way, why not just refuel when the red bars come on ? The capacity of the tank isn't going to affect your mpg and Tesco's don't give discounts for buying in bulk...

silles

May 4, 2017
all cars have reserves, u can probably do 30-40 miles after range goes to zero. I do that all the time with rental cars which need to be return empty :) really pisses of GF when i do so :lol:

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
I got 52.16 litres in to mine last night with the range showing as 10 miles of fuel left. That was just normal filling until the first time the pump cut out. I had assumed it was a 55L tank as I fairly regularly fill up with this amount. Slightly concerned that may not be the case now...

Last edited:

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Mine - a 2013 1.6 TDI - supposedly has a 40 litre tank however I've filled up with 41-43 litres several times even though the range was still above 0. I wonder whether the tank is actually a bit larger or are the pumps cheating us?

Rarely happens though as I tend to refuel before I reach 3 bars in all cases. I hate the idea of getting stuck without fuel or suddenly needing to go somewhere urgently and having to refuel first. Always prefer to keep it full.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.