DTUK FSR+ Tuning Box - 1.8 TSI 180 - Fitting and Review

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
It's worth noting that you don't need to get under the car if you've got a diesel, you can attach all the sensors by leaning over the bonnet.

It's petrol only that you need to raise the car up to get underneath it :)

Unless you know what your doing and you can get the lower sensor from the top as well :p

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Unless you know what your doing and you can get the lower sensor from the top as well :p

There is room but having not seen exactly where it was before I just played it safe. As you said though, if you know what you're doing you probably could get to it from the top.

S3 AKR great review, been thinking about getting one for my 290 for a while and can see me taking the plunge, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the OBDII reader would you, just had a look and there's to many to choose from haha

I think this may have been it - I've had it a while so it's dropped off my orders list, but it looks identical.

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
OK - so it has arrived and to get straight to the conclusion - its awesome!

I guess I should have taken a load of photos but decided that there is little point as it just looks like it does on the website - a black box containing the loom, DTUK FSR+ tuning box, wiring loom, cable ties, a blanking/loop back plug, receipt, fitting instructions and some bumf that I took no notice of as it was marketing stuff (I'll double check tomorrow and if meaningful post an update).

Fitting:-
I decided that rather than doing my usual approach of "how hard can it be" and jumping straight in I would read the instructions from cover to cover and absorb every word to see if the installation was as easy as the website leads us to believe. I noticed that the car in some of the pics was an Audi but that shouldn't detract as the rest of it looked familiar to the oily bits of the Leon.

I ventured out to the car, ran a diag scan of the engine ECU (using a cheap Amazon £6 bluetooth OBDII reader linked to my Android "Torque Pro" app - full version at not much money at all) to ensure that all was well prior to install.

Next, using the instructions provided I located the 3 sensors that would be patched into the new loom. The 1st 2 were very obvious, but the boost sensor is very much hidden from the top of the car. The instructions show the location from the bottom, and you have to remove the under tray to get to it. Needless to say, having the car raise so you can get somewhere underneath to see is essential. I happen to have some small drive on blocks that I use to raise the car about 4 or 5 inches and this was enough (my suspension is still in standard "moon buggy" spec and not lowered). The boost sensor is located right by a water pipe temp sensor so be careful to select the right one! It is a little tricky to remove but using the one on the new loom as a reference, you can see how it works and it pries off quite easily once the locking tab is released - you don't need force, but do need to be a little firm.

With each sensor plug removed, I ran in the loom feeding the fat end that will house the tuning box under the air intake pipe and resting it between battery and airbox, then using the supplied guidance to route the cables to their locations. I attached the positive battery lead directly to the battery terminal and then as per the instructions, connected the negative to the negative bonding point on the bulkhead just behind the battery (the instruction is very specific not to connect to the battery negative terminal). I left it all loose and then only applied the supplied cable ties once everything was connected fully and tested. To test the cabling, I simply installed the blanking plug supplied and started the car. I let it run, rev'd it a couple of times and then switched off. Scanned ECU for errors. None found.

Next I swapped the blanking plug for the DTUK box. I set the program to Map 3 +2 as I'd been advised by Andrew@DTUK and then retested as above. No errors.

Checked cabling routes for any potential fouling and then tightened the cable ties. Worth checking that the loom can't interfere with the fan on the rad, and that the ties are not rubbing water hoses etc.

Put the under tray back in place, put the engine cover back on (keeping cabling well hidden) and then went for the first drive.

Excellent information.
Thanks
Andy

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
......and so it begins. I've been messing with cars plenty long enough to know that one mod leads to another and then to another and so on. Some for fun, some because you really should, and some because you've shifted the goal posts beyond oem spec. You guessed it....... clutch slip!!!!!

I have been running P1+2 but have had to back off to P2+2 to use a less aggressive map to avoid a brief amount of slip at about 4K revs. The car is still quick still but it doesn't feel as quick as the delivery is more subtle.

Any clutch suggestions for a 1.8 TSi 180 that can take the power but still feel close to OEM for sensible money ? It is still the family shopping trolley remember!!

chrobu

Feb 10, 2017
stock 1.8 tsi clutch (228mm) is enough strong to hold arround 380-400NM so no way to slip with D-TUK box wich produce max 320-340NM. If its slip that probobly mean that your clutch is in the end of her life :)

Last edited:

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
If oem is good enough then I'm happy to stick with it. The car has only done about 34k miles so perhaps the previous owner was a little hard on the clutch. It was from around the Watford area although I got it from a non-franchised dealer in Wakefield.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
So - its been a while since I updated this thread. The tuning box is still fitted and it has been 100% faultless. I've had no further issues with clutch clip since backing it off a little so will just assume that the clutch was just showing its age a little.

The car had a service this week, and an MOT a couple of weeks back. I took the box off and fitted the supplied blanking plug to keep everything to standard for the tests and the service, but there were still no error codes after all this time.

On fuel consumption, we noticed no difference. The car still delivered high 30's and just onto the 40mpg range at motorway speeds, still delivered 30mpg plus around town and no notable reduction in miles for full tank of unleaded.

If you're thinking about getting one, just go for it.

We've got a new car due soon (apparently due for delivery to the dealer this week) so the Leon will be sold in a few weeks time, and without the tuning box. If the loom is compatible with the S3, then I'll speak to DTUK about a code change to the original box, and it'll be fitted. This time I have to use a tuning box as the new car will be a lease. If it's not compatible, then I'll sell it and probably order one for the S3 anyhow.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Think they can change the plugs over as well as the software mate. I had one converted from an a5 s line tdi that my dad had to a Grande punto tdi back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Cheers for the info - I'll shout them and find out the cost. It'll have to wait a month as I've had to service the Leon and the Cayman (plus replace the battery) this week and now the S3 has arrived early so they'll be wanting their deposit too - not a cheap month!

marinipersonal

Jan 1, 2017
I'm using one for quite a while now and no problems.
As you mentioned before, well worth.
I'm using in my 1.8TSI DSG, and so far no problems with the DSG, which was my concern.
Errors, just when running some program +3, if the cruise control selector button is on, get a error, but not limp mode or anything else. If keep the cruise control selector in off position, no problems. Using 3 +2 now and so far is my favourite map.

marinipersonal

Jan 1, 2017
I believe that every car is different, and some people may find other problems, or no problems. Mine is weird, to be honest. If using any map +3, if go nuts accelerating, just pops an error, which won't let me set or activate the cruise control. But restarting the car will solve the problem. No idea why, but I'm glad isn't any error throwing the car into limp mode. The best map for me is being 3+2. Possibly the DSG plays a part how each map works, as some will fell more responsive, but much less refined, to the point that the gear changes are less smooth, but no gears slipping. Love the DSG, but a manual would be better in that scenario.

leonisis

Quick enough for me....
Mar 21, 2016
Bangor NI
I have the same box on the same 1.8 TSI with the 6speed manual and am also running map 3+2. Have had it on for 9 months now and have not had any issues whatsoever with warnings or faults.
Fantastic results for a relatively low cost with great reliability. Money well spent.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Cheers all for the info on the switch to the S3. Not followed it up yet as funds simply don't allow at the moment and I know that once a price is given, I'll be sending it off to be done!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.