Cuppa 290 BE Stolen!!!

CUPRAB

Sep 24, 2016
Well peeps.... 2weeks ago we were broken into while we slept.

They cleared us out including the Cupra and wife's golf Cab.

Gutted to say the least.

Just waiting on insurers and Seat to decide if they can find me a car.

Not holding my breath.!!!....

Arghhhhhhh

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Damn, that really sucks. Hope it's all sorted out well for you.

I'm considering upgrading to a Cupra and this is my worst fear, 1 good thing about driving an old boring car like I currently do is nobody wants to steal it.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Get a picture with reg plate posted and it can be shared on social media and vag groups on Facebook.

Always said owners that have cars over 20k should have a sps switch stops all this fuss.

Good luck bro wish you and your cupra are reunited soon

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
[/QUOTE]Always said owners that have cars over 20k should have a sps switch stops all this fuss.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

What is an 'sps' switch?

Last edited:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
My cars tuned so it has several prefix settings on the ecu like race fuel **** fuel MPG and one of them is anti theft mode.

When the SPS is plugged in to OBD part and switched to anti theft mode with the sps switch the car will start but the moment throttle is applied it kills the engine making the car immovable.

And on top of that it prevents OBD command car theft which is the easiest way to steal car takes 5 seconds from smashing the window to disable the alarm unlock the central locking and start the car and drive away.

When I go camping I set it to anti theft put the sps in the spare wheel compartment and lock the car gives me peace of mind.

Will post you a video of a OBD car theft flash and what a sps switch in anti theft mode does

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

shaun-the-sheep

Oct 21, 2008
Sevenoaks
I know how how you feel, mine was taken on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Cupra 290 from Sevenoaks, Kent. Professional job, they were in and out of the house in seconds, didn't even disturb the dog! I don't hold out much hope of getting it back and I'm not sure I want it back. Spoke to the police a few moments ago and they've had no trace of it since it was spotted on ANPR shortly after it went a couple of miles away. It may not have any link, but I was followed home earlier in that day by a black Audi A4 estate with a roof box on it. He stuck with me for quite a few miles and didn't want to lose me, but didn't want to race me either. May have nothing to do with my car going but just beware.

They took the keys to my wife's Ibiza and that's away having locks changed.

I'm just waiting on the insurance now.

CUPRAB

Sep 24, 2016
All my pics were on my phone which they also took! This is only photo I have from my 8 year olds phone!!
3b728f248ba506a717e0ece897f46900.jpg

CUPRAB

Sep 24, 2016
Cheers, but I have accepted I'll never see it again.
Police think they are using it to carry out other burglaries??
Front plate has been switched but they have left the rear which pings now and then on ANPR..... grrrrr

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Ahhh! I feel for you. Hopefully insurance pays out a decent amount! This is my fear owning a cupra. Getting the Autowatch Ghost system installed Monday which will prevent them stealing my car even with a key! Would recommend people checking it out. I'm in Kent also so will keep an eye out for your car

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Ahhh! I feel for you. Hopefully insurance pays out a decent amount! This is my fear owning a cupra.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Many insurers' policies state that if a car is severely damaged and written off (i.e. It becomes a total loss) or it is stolen and not recovered within the first year of registration and you are the first owner, then they will replace it with a new car of the same model and spec.

If the OP's insurer don't provide this cover, then hopefully they have GAP insurance (preferably on the basis of new vehicle replacement cover), to make up the shortfall between the insurer's claim payment and the cost of a new replacement Cupra.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Damn, feel really bad for you guys. Hope you're not too shook up. Main thing is you and your families are ok. I have been concerned about security after a recent spate of thefts. It seems there isn't a great deal you can do about it and these mouth breathing scum seem to stop at nothing to get the car.

i have two young kids and another on the way. Last thing I need is a confrontation in the middle of the night, half asleep and young kids in house. My strategy is leave the keys in fairly easy view downstairs ( obviously not visible from outside house). If they want the car that bad they can take it. Love the car but I'm insured and have GAP.

I've been thinking about what car to get next, seems anything slightly interesting is a target and especially stuff with keyless entry.

Recent thread on Pistonheads re Audi s3 thefts; most stolen car in U.K allegedly. Loads of macho bollocks about dominating the stairs and fighting these twats off. Nobody on there has actually successfully done this? Let's face it, even if you know you're quite handy, I don't think any of us fancy being involved in a house raid at 3am wearing a pair of boxers, faced by several hoodies brandishing syringes, machetes and clubs.

Keep safe people and I hope you guys get fair recompense for what you have been put through. It could be worse, you could be one of those losers in life.

CUPRAB

Sep 24, 2016
Cheers for support. Kids were really distraught with it all. Keys were in a bowl at bottom of stairs which is what the Police agreed was the best way.

My car is a lease deal with Seat, they have said they will try and replace when they have been paid out. But in reality I'm expecting them saying unable to source one. They did say must be like for like and no other alternative provided.

I think if no joy I'll have to decide what my next car will be.... I loved that car!

Currently jumped into an 02 plate civic sport for £600!!

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Absolute scum mate and I feel for you and your family. I’ve installed a cctv around our house after all the horror stories on here and elsewhere. And I’m super suspicious of any car that follows me these day. *******s are turning me into a paranoid Cupra driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
Sorry to hear whats happened, hope it gets sorted asap so you can move on from it all.

ewen1605

Jan 17, 2016
Sheffield
Oh dude, I'm so sorry to hear that.

My Leon FR was stolen back in July in similar circumstances - broke in to the house while I was asleep upstairs. Took the TV, put it in the back of my own car and drove off with it.

Most important thing is you and family are okay - better them having a car than something happening to you.

I was covered for my remaining PCP with a bit extra + GAP insurance was an absolute lifesaver in my case, so I hope you manage to get it all sorted soon. I know it's a horrible experience. I've had CCTV fitted since while I wait for the new car

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Cheers for support. Kids were really distraught with it all. Keys were in a bowl at bottom of stairs which is what the Police agreed was the best way.

My car is a lease deal with Seat, they have said they will try and replace when they have been paid out. But in reality I'm expecting them saying unable to source one. They did say must be like for like and no other alternative provided.

I think if no joy I'll have to decide what my next car will be.... I loved that car!

Currently jumped into an 02 plate civic sport for £600!!

I guess psychologically it's a real smack in the stomach that you still feel every day. I mean in terms of some scum entering your house whilst you and family are vulnerable. A car is just a car, I know it sounds a tad trite but life is too short to get hung up on it. Just remember you have worked hard for what you have and you and your family are safe. You were very unfortunate for it to happen to you but it probably won't happen again.

This has really hit home with me as I know a few people it has happened to and it's really shook them up. I have a baseball bat under the bed, movement sensor lights outside and know I can look after myself but **** I would never want to be in that sort of situation in the middle of the night, especially with my children present.

Glad you're doing fine and don't let the *******s get you down :p

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Sad to hear, I hope you get it sorted. Two years ago I took my daughter to the park on the back of my bike, she was only two then. I arrived back home at about 1630, we messed about at the side of the house, putting the bike in the garage and Amber was playing. I didn't know anything was amiss. Little did I know there were people waiting behind our back gate. I walked through the front door and noticed there was stuff strewn across our hallway, stupidly, the first thing I thought was that our cleaner had brought her kids and they had made a mess in the hall. I heard someone in the lounge and went to say hello and as soon as I stepped in I realised the house had been turned upside down. At this point, Amber was toddling about in the hallway and heard someone through the other end of the lounge and outside, past Amber. I don't think I've ever been so scared until I got back to her and picked her up. When I did, I could see out of the window looking at the garage, and then the open front door, my BMW 130i disappearing up the drive then out into the road. I ran and dropped my now screaming daughter off at a neighbours and called the police before checking the house. All the time we were outside the garage, someone must have been stood behind the side gate. There is an end to this story...

I received an update from the local officer looking after my case that it had been passed on and I was then contacted by a national crime task force of some sort who said they knew who had taken my car and they were part of a very large traveller crime group. They were at the end of a several year investigation and a fair number of them were going to be heading towards jail, with car theft being pretty inconsequential in their list of serious crimes. We live in a pretty much crime free area and it sounds like it was fairly random they passed near us, excepting that it was a professional job as much as it can be. By a twist of fate I had taken the car keys with me and we had left spares, unintentionally, in the very last place they looked upstairs, they really did look everywhere until they found them, but they didn't break a single thing, they even placed pictures from the wall on beds. They entered by cracking the glass in the rear patio door, and did that without noise (neighbour was sat in his back room with a window open and 20 feet from our back door). They were only interested in the car and cash; laptops, tablets, cards, everything else was left, including the S3 keys with an S3 fob :blink: The car was found undamaged parked outside a new, unoccupied house, although the insurers had already paid me immediately. It made my blood run cold thinking about how close I came to bumping into them with Amber in tow, and hearing about the gang they were part of made me think that you never ever want to confront people like this or invite a visit from their colleagues; you just want them to take the car and get as far away from your house and family as possible. On the bright side, my car insurance didn't increase at the next renewal.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.