Cupra wheel hop, sorted...

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I think it's impossible for you to eradicate it completely without the electronic diff that the cupras have

Syndrome

Nov 29, 2014
Wiltshire
One final update.

First of all, apologies for forgetting to check up on the thread when I updated in February, my life went a bit interesting for a few months and my feet have only just touched the ground.

Anyway, I decided to take the 034 insert out today as the 280 SC is going back tomorrow and I wanted to see how it had coped over the last 6000 or so miles, plus I didn't want to hand the car back with it on.
Long story short, it looked in great condition with no signs of wear and most importantly no bending or cracking. The mount on the car looked unscathed also.

pkvs1En.jpg

In fact it was so good it got installed on my new 300 ST 4Drive as it shares the same mount, which was a surprise as I expected it to be the revised mount (should have taken pics of the insert before I did).
Not expecting any improvements with it on the ST and the only difference I noticed during the 30 minute blast out this afternoon was the throttle response feels marginally quicker, possibly due to the engine not moving as much under load but probably I expect is mainly imaganied as I'm looking for it TBH.

For the FWD 280 SC over the last 6000 miles the 034 insert was great, the vibes died down after it settled in and the only difference was dramatically reduced wheel hop, no shuddering when reversing or the AC was on like the Neuspeed insert.

I don't think I posted these at the time, but this is the Neuspeed insert after circa 8000 miles.

a1zVKA8.jpg

UIMm3ZL.jpg

As you can see the Neuspeed insert is completely knackered. The damage was concentrated to the rear of the insert, which makes sense as the engine will want to swing that way under load. It has almost completely lost one the the legs and has cut through half of the insert.
It seems I'm not alone in discovering the Neuspeed insert suffered from deterioration issues, there are a few examples online but here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6Mcd4UupU

So anyway, my 2p for anyone wanting my experience, buy the 034 Motorsport insert and give the Neuspeed a miss. The 034 is more durable, simpler (one piece), doesn't add any unwanted harshness to the car and it does an excellent job of killing the wheel hop (unless you actively try to take the p*ss) and doesn't suffer from any noticeable performance drop off.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Appreciate your update :), I too have fallen on and off the radar a bit the last few months, life happens though eh...but wanted to also check in with more feedback.

I actually found on my 180 fr petrol that the 034 had quite significantly bent, and was an absolute bitch to remove. I had my remap on for about 2 months before i decided to give the Powerflex Purple another go and wow, that took some removing just because as they say, you are not meant to remove it really (their words...). However, I needed to. With the remap i put out what's in my sig below and after a few weeks of the remap it was just starting to progressively worse again in that wheel hop, had in some cases returned to "stock" levels of tramping EVEN in the dry, and even under moderate throttle. When it happened end of last month in perfect conditions, quite violently in the dry under moderate load/to heavy load that was it. I couldn't stand it no more as it simply was not doing it's job at all. Launches? No chance, heavy throttle? Scared to ever use. Track day? Lol no.

So i followed some advice in here and cut a little section out the purple powerflex insert just to reduce the harshness a bit more and since it's been a dream. That violent wheel hop has completely gone again and the only type i get now is the occasionally "skip" or "wobble" which is perfectly fine and normal and easy to handle, no longer that jackhammer thumping into the cabin which feels just aweful...!

Coming into cooler weather now, wetter weather certainly and i feel a ton more confident now. Perhaps the engine just moves a lot more in the 180 FR petroll than a cupra but my 034 bent to the extent it simply wasn't working at all.

Hopefully now, this powerflex can go the distance and get me through autumn and winter to come, not that i ever hammer much anyway anymore because well, it doesn't need to be in the majority of cases but on those dry (if any lol) days to come, it's nice to know i've got some confidence back across all the throttle :). So that's just my 2p of events over the last few months.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Experiences vary. I had no probs with the Neuspeed after 8000miles and 034 gave me trouble. Best is to try the other of one doesn't work out it seems.
In the long run something will wear, either the urethane insert or in case of the 034, the cars' bushing where the 034 sits against and rubs (looks like some artefact on the rubber front tab on the pic of the bush above, but too dark to say for sure).

Another update from me. Changed to 225/40 section tyres on my Cupra from 235/40. This seems to have changed the equation because now there is virtually no tendency to shake the engine, even with traction control off and in the wet.
Just to point out that this oscillation phenomenon can change when relatively small factors change.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Oh neat, so you have actually got for a shorter width of tyre and noticed even less of a tendency so that's interesting as I always figured wider tyres would help but I suppose with a FWD car as you said, almost any small factor of change can have a noticable effect, very interesitng :).

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Narrower and also a bit smaller diameter (with the same /40 profile, I'm running 18"). Same tyre (ps4). Also some better steering feel (some sidewall stretch) and less tramlining/torque steer on rutted roads. Can't notice loss in grip. Tyre is cheaper too.

I believe most road cars are overtyred these days... See too many that choose cheap brands because the large sizes are too expensive, too.

Syndrome

Nov 29, 2014
Wiltshire
Did have a look with a torch and no evidence of damage or any material being removed, there were some contact patches on the insert but I expected that.

Interesting both of you had bent 034 inserts, particularly on a 1.8. What tyres were you both using at the time?

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Did have a look with a torch and no evidence of damage or any material being removed, there were some contact patches on the insert but I expected that.

Interesting both of you had bent 034 inserts, particularly on a 1.8. What tyres were you both using at the time?

I loved the insert for ages, it was brilliant. But after a few months it simply returned to stock wheel hop levels which was incredibly surprising.

Tyres were and still are Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2 s, 17 inch and 225/45/91Y rated. They are superb in dry, bit less so under load in wet but with the Powerflex purple insert they are hugely better. Wet grip in corners and turns has always been very good and trustworthy so I've enjoyed these tyres, not sure what to get next time though.

What the issue may be deep down is he 1.8 doesn't have a diff like the cupras so it's more prone to wheel hop anyway. Will keep an eye on the Powerflex but so far so good in current UK weather lol.

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
I can only recommend the Powerflex bush (not the insert) in the road version. Wheel-hop is more or less eliminated, the response of the car improved as goes for the sound.

4K miles in and it drives as it did when first fitted with the new bush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
Hi,
my previous insert - CTS - sounds to be crashed while i i came back to the level of stock WH after more or less 1,5 years of usage. I need to replace it, but 2 questions.
How can i easily check what kind of version i should order? I have my CTS covered by the washer, so no chance to see from the bottom. Is it the difference due to the gearbox (DSG/manual) that determine version?
Secondly, I think I will go for Powerlex this time - so far no negative feedback, but what would you recommend - insert or full bush and what are major pros and cons? I'm considering yellow one.

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
Hi,
my previous insert - CTS - sounds to be crashed while i i came back to the level of stock WH after more or less 1,5 years of usage. I need to replace it, but 2 questions.
How can i easily check what kind of version i should order? I have my CTS covered by the washer, so no chance to see from the bottom. Is it the difference due to the gearbox (DSG/manual) that determine version?
Secondly, I think I will go for Powerlex this time - so far no negative feedback, but what would you recommend - insert or full bush and what are major pros and cons? I'm considering yellow one.

Powerflex yellow bush is highly recommended from my side - do on the other hand not get tempted by the black line track version of the bush.

The yellow version eliminates most of the wheel hop and in the odd occurrence when wheel hop happens now it is just a mild stamping. 99,9 % of the time it just spins it wheels now if you are not careful. The general response of the car is improved as well and the insert is otherwise only noticeable for passengers at startup, in reverse and at full throttle where there now is a bit more sound.

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
Powerflex yellow bush is highly recommended from my side - do on the other hand not get tempted by the black line track version of the bush.

The yellow version eliminates most of the wheel hop and in the odd occurrence when wheel hop happens now it is just a mild stamping. 99,9 % of the time it just spins it wheels now if you are not careful. The general response of the car is improved as well and the insert is otherwise only noticeable for passengers at startup, in reverse and at full throttle where there now is a bit more sound.

do you have yellow full bush or just yellow insert? DSG or manual?

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
ok, very well - another voice from DSG owner convincing me for full yellow. It will make sense also due to the fact that OEM bush in my case might be not at the best condition already after +1,5 year with CTS insert.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
How to check which version of the mount i have (A or B) without disassembly of my current insert? Is there any model year where change was done?
A visual inspection is all that's needed no need to disassemble. I reached under car with phone camera to dicipher which mount I had.

Scoobyscoop

Jan 17, 2017
Middlesbrough
Another vote for the Powerflex yellow bush
Just had mine fitted today
Quick and easy to do
Has made the car feel more edgy
More vibration through the wheel on start up especially with the AC on but once on the move it is no different to before
Changes feel sharper ,throttle response better and yes the jack hammering has gone almost completely
Doesn't feel like the car is going to shake itself apart anymore

If you can live with the vibes then it is definitely the best £48 you will ever spend

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.