Premium Fuel -- Which one?? Tesco 99 vs Vpower vs BP ultimate

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
Hi Guys

I was wondering what your experience and thoughts were on the different types of higher octane, 'premium' fuel available from the different suppliers....

I have only ever used Vpower in the K1, however the Tesco 99 stuff has the same octane rating and is nearly 10p a litre cheaper...have tried it once and I must say I didnt notice a difference.

If anyone can shed any light on this, would be great.

Cheers

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015
Stay away from BP ultimate its shite. Tesco 99 and V power are both good fuels with not much in it tbh. I tend to use V power now for the cleaning detergents compared to Tesco 99, but other than that they are both fine.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Run MK2 R , previous 280 and current 290 on a diet of Tesco Momentum, never had in issues in over 50k miles.

Slappi

Jul 31, 2014
Tesco Momentum mate all day long. I've been running this fuel on all the motors i've had for years.

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
OK so minor update:

Tesco Ultimate - Good fuel, decent mileage - £30 would give me max 150 miles of sensible driving (mostly motorway + some town, the occasional blast). I found the car would slightly splutter on cold start up (the moment you turn ignition), but fine after.

V power - Good fuel, have used this for years on all cars - £30 would get me 150-160 miles of sensible driving, given that it is 8p per litre more expensive, you would get less fuel (0.8 liters!) so something in the fuel must be better than the rest as I am still managing over 150 miles. Slight splutter still present however noticeably less.

BP Ultimate - same as Vpower only 4p more expensive. No differences that justify the extra money for BP. (Only wild bean café bacon rolls =D)

And theres my 2 pence

Last edited:

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
I would agree on this post.....i mainly use tesco,s but every 6th or 7th fill use v power and it seems to run smoother and gives engine a little clean.....won,t touch unleaded now as carbons up exhaust too much

Won,t touch bp since 5th gear did top fuel tests.....bp had no noticeable change and same result as ordinary unleaded
The top 2 were v power.shell
Esso 97 oct
Tesco 97 oct
Bp came dead last with comments if use bp just get unleaded as same performance,,,no difference between the two....lol

Last edited:

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
Won,t touch bp since 5th gear did top fuel tests.....bp had no noticeable change and same result as ordinary unleaded
The top 2 were v power.shell
Esso 97 oct
Tesco 97 oct
Bp came dead last with comments if use bp just get unleaded as same performance,,,no difference between the two....lol

The episode dated 26 January 2009? That one? Over 8 years ago? You think 8 year old data is still relevant today? BP have reformulated their fuel several times since then (as, no doubt, have the others). Yet you are happy to use Tesco 99 RON today which is clearly different from the 97 RON of 8 years ago assuming what - that it is somehow the same, even though it is clearly different?

Sorry for the seemingly blunt response - it is more the scientific method I am questioning rather than the actual fuels. The results from 8 years ago are largely irrelevant for today - everything has changed - the engines, the fuels, the additives, the RONs (in some cases).

Of course people make decisions based on whatever factors resonate with them and sometimes these decisions are long-lasting. However I would suggest an open mind can sometimes also be useful, benefit of the doubt, give another chance etc. Maybe you'll be surprised?

Or continue as you are if you are happy with what you have. ;)

Last edited:

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
Lol was it really that long ago.....sure it was more recent than that.....god i feel old now.....as you say innovations in fuel constantly changing...main thing though ...unless really forced i still would always use the higher octane for any turbo car....runs smoother and get the performace too....and will check out bp again...lol.....you,ve made me feel really old now....lol

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I believe R Tech put the 1.8t on a rolling road with supermarket budget 95 Ron and then same run with Shell V Power.
Dino showed gains of up to 13 hp with the V power and better fuel conomy too.
Think their findings are on their website.

Go ski

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
I think what this thread shows is for turbo cars the super fuels from nearly all are as good as each other ,but mainly shows that the turbo cars perform far better on the higher octane fuels and better mpg ...so if running a turbo don,t bother with unleaded and just use the higher octane fuel....in long run price equals out once you add in the extra miles gained....plus the better performance adds the big grin factor ......so price irrelevant

BIG SMILES ALL ROUND.....LOL

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Either V power or tesco 99 should give the same results. I don't know why BP only offers 97, as most performance cars require 98 or above. They will run on less than 98 without damage, but the ECU will be constantly having to pull the timing to do so.

Last edited:

indyr

May 2, 2011
For me it's V-Power or Momentum 99... Find the MK2 R runs great on either of those 2 fuels, find it feels more smoother and responsive, more eager compared to a non-super fuel. Mind you, more recently have been using more of Momentum out of the 2 choices.

If I am stuck and nothing else around, I will use 'Super' of what is available to get me to the nearest fuel stop for either of those 2 fuels...

MaxSeatIbiza

Mar 28, 2018
Always be careful when filling up from a supermarket fuel station, their tanks are usually dirty because they dont clean them and have had plenty of cars come into our garage with water in their fuel system after filling up at tesco.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Always be careful when filling up from a supermarket fuel station, their tanks are usually dirty because they dont clean them and have had plenty of cars come into our garage with water in their fuel system after filling up at tesco.

:rofl:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise