Baffled sump and pick up

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
Quick question I see a lot of people having blocked or partially blocked pick up pipe in sump ? So is it worth dropping sump and replacing it and while I’m there is it worth fitting a baffled sump with the intention of odd track day perhaps ? Is baffled sump ok for day to day rd use? Many thanks

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Question you have to ask yourself is....is it worth leaving? Baffled sump....waste of cash IMO. Run low on oil, take it to to a track and get what's coming, have oil...all will be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
Thanks, does everyone remove there sump and replace their pick ups then? My oil is very clean and been changed every 6k, is it easy enough to remove sump? Thanks

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Very easy but you will need a sealant to go back on. Messy job as well so protect the ground you are working on before you start. 80/100k car should be checked as it is a known fault and has taken out a lot of engines through lack of service but if you're oil is nice a clean then yes....still check

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edit:spelling

Last edited:

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
JUST checked every invoice and has been oil changed every 6k Miles and engine flush used each time since day one, got great history this car makes me feel a bit more relaxed lol

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
From what I've read and heard, one big cause of pickup blockage is sump joint sealant. The sump joint has no gasket, it is sealed with a proprietary sealant compound. It is easy to go overboard with this, and have bits squished out once the sump bolts are tightened. If you get drops squeezed out on the inside of the sump, they gradually cook, drop off, and get drawn to the pickup pipe mesh filter, slowly blocking it.

Two things you can take from this. One, don't overdo the sealant - a small continuous bead (2mm I think, but check it) around the joint, going round the outside of each bolt hole. Two, don't drop the sump unless you have to...

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
sticky tyres, track use, you will spray oil into your pcv system... particularly under hard braking. oil goes vertical in the block right into the oil breather box and gets sucked atraight into the inlet manifold and into tip in std pipe factory setup.

not a concern if you run catch can separate to intake other than emptying the oil out of your sump into the can...

all depends on how hard you attack your track days, tyres used, as oil temps will also sky rocket on track use..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members