Car Insurance and Leasing

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
Will be switching from an "owned" to a "leased" Cupra soon and just wondered if this will affect my insurance in any way?

Am I still classed as the owner as well as the registered keeper or do I need to state it is owned by the lease company?

This is the first time I have went down the leasing route and interested in what others have experienced.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Registered keeper but don't own the car

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

shapalando

Sep 2, 2017
I know with my current car I am either. Citroen contract motoring are both.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
If you have a V5 document witb your name and the vin/reg of tge cupra in mention your the registered keeper of the motor vehicle.

Terms and conditions for lease (until final payment and/or ballon payment you do not own car blah blah blah)

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
You will be neither the lease company is the registered owner and keeper hence any speeding tickets will go to them and then forwarded to yourself. Regards price there is no difference

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Had numerous lease cars and have not had any problems what's so ever. Also regarding the nightmare stories of returning the car in showroom condition is not true either as long as you look after it like you would if you purchased one you will be fine. You are allowed the odd little scratch and dent as long as it's within the fair ware conditions which are very straight forward guidelines.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
You will be neither the lease company is the registered owner and keeper hence any speeding tickets will go to them and then forwarded to yourself. Regards price there is no difference
**** I was thinking of PCP #brainfart

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Should be no different. I went from owned car insurance to lease and no diff in price. Just disclose the lease to insurers, you shouldn't be penalised for insuring a lease vehicle.

shapalando

Sep 2, 2017
Had numerous lease cars and have not had any problems what's so ever. Also regarding the nightmare stories of returning the car in showroom condition is not true either as long as you look after it like you would if you purchased one you will be fine. You are allowed the odd little scratch and dent as long as it's within the fair ware conditions which are very straight forward guidelines.
I've had a windscreen chip repaired but still slightly visible, what do you think will be the outcome of this? My first lease car goes back next month.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Depends if it will pass a mot and if it's in the line of vision when driving. If it's a mot failure they will bill you for a new window screen.

shapalando

Sep 2, 2017
Depends if it will pass a mot and if it's in the line of vision when driving. If it's a mot failure they will bill you for a new window screen.
No it's on passenger side and windscreen guy said it's too small for failure which is why he didn't just replace screen. I kept paper work to say it's repaired and safe.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
As people have said, made literally zero difference to my quotes. I guess that makes sense as it's the same car and the same driver regardless of who owns it.

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
As others have said, you're neither the registered keeper nor owner of the car. Unless for some reason the lease company hands you the V5C which I doubt.

I faced this issue when I had my previous car on a lease, I found that using comparethemarket and similar mainstream comparison sites my quotes were sky high when I said that I wasn't the registered keeper. However I used a less well known comparison site, filled in the same information and got the same quote from the same provider for the same price as though I was the registered keeper.

Basically what I'm trying to say is it depends on the comparison sites' algorithms. So try others if the quotes are extortionate - This could've been due to the fact that I was 19 at the time however.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members