"Running In"

flett

May 16, 2015
I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so probably a little more particular about this stuff than most but my advice is to just drive the car normally for the first 500 miles ie don't Rev the nuts off it or let it labour in too high a gear. Once the car has been through a few full heat cycles, warming right up to normal temps and cooling off again you can start building the revs and enjoying it. In theory a proper run in cycle will minimise oil consumption as it allows time for piston rings to bed in properly and form a better long term seal.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so probably a little more particular about this stuff than most but my advice is to just drive the car normally for the first 500 miles ie don't Rev the nuts off it or let it labour in too high a gear. Once the car has been through a few full heat cycles, warming right up to normal temps and cooling off again you can start building the revs and enjoying it. In theory a proper run in cycle will minimise oil consumption as it allows time for piston rings to bed in properly and form a better long term seal.

See the way I did it was the way I drive it normally, first 10-15 mins drive it steady to let it get warm etc and then open her up!

flett

May 16, 2015
See the way I did it was the way I drive it normally, first 10-15 mins drive it steady to let it get warm etc and then open her up!

Honestly it's not going to matter too much as the majority of problems caused by improper break in are going to occur way down the line when the car is on its umpteenth owner etc. The way cars are treated and driven by those different owners over the years will have just as much if not more impact on how long a car survives anyway so the moral of this story is you are paying the money so do with it as you like :)

Mypifi

Oct 16, 2017
From what I read years ago on another forum the cars are thrashed about at the docks and through the transportation. Any damage would more than likely be done to the engine at this stage.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
From what I read years ago on another forum the cars are thrashed about at the docks and through the transportation. Any damage would more than likely be done to the engine at this stage.

When Seat's are dropped off at the docks the cars are in delivery mode, limited power/revs. So the cars can't be ragged about all over the quayside.

Mypifi

Oct 16, 2017
That's good, how times have changed. Was at least 10 years ago I heard that.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members