Cupra wheel hop, sorted...

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Another vote for the Powerflex yellow bush
Just had mine fitted today
Quick and easy to do
Has made the car feel more edgy
More vibration through the wheel on start up especially with the AC on but once on the move it is no different to before
Changes feel sharper ,throttle response better and yes the jack hammering has gone almost completely
Doesn't feel like the car is going to shake itself apart anymore

If you can live with the vibes then it is definitely the best £48 you will ever spend

Where did you get the full bush from, any links? Probably me being dopey, I was looking for it on Awesones site and couldn't find it. Is it quick to fit? I have the powerflex yellow insert, which has been great, but it oddly doesn't feel quite as effective as it was initially, so whilst having a look at it I thought I might try the full bush too and compare... :)

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Hi Ste

I got it from PSI Tuning
www.psituning.com
48.55 delivered

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I'm guessing it's actually half of the bush? As pictured...

96cfe0c95a85ae34fbdc02ca849817a6.jpg

63d13e2855b2773fb31ecb420ef2be77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobyscoop

Jan 17, 2017
Middlesbrough
That's the one
Replaces the accessible bush in the cross member and has inserts which fit into the other half of the bush

Been out to test the car in the wet tonite and the jack hammering is almost totally gone
Maybe skips once if really provoked
It is just so much better:)

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
That's the one

Replaces the accessible bush in the cross member and has inserts which fit into the other half of the bush

Been out to test the car in the wet tonite and the jack hammering is almost totally gone

Maybe skips once if really provoked

It is just so much better:)

Thanks!

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
I am confused. Are we still talking about the yellow lower engine mount (large) insert for 34.74 on powerflexes website? Or something additional? There are so many different bits i get a bit lost. Are you saying that the full "ENGINE MOUNT HYBRID BUSH (LARGE)" is serving you better than just the standard insert? Or are you using both perfect_g?

I've been using the purple INSERT for a little while now (with a slight mod to remove idle NVH a little) and it's once again it's starting to hop in the dry, in mild to warm whether, despite better throttle control (perhaps my modification has messed it up...wouldn't be surpised do'h!)

Also, probably a stupid question, but what is the PSI of tyre pressure you guys are all running in combination with these inserts/bushes? I didn't realise for ages when i had my new tyres fitted, the bloke had put them all at 30 PSI all round, rather than the suggested 39 in the front and 36 in back (as says in the fuel cap notation) so recently i've upped it to factory spec and I think it's made it worse...i dunno if higher PSI tyres at the front are causing less grip that before now, i assuming yes as more pressure, less grip, and lower pressure, more grip.

I'm actually being gifted a new, yellow insert to try: https://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/product-details/Lower+Engine+Mount+(Large)+Insert/12384.html (the £34 one) to see if that is better...but if people are suggesting the Hybrid Bush is better then maybe I'll get that instead? Not sure if it looks too complicated to install or i'm just being blind.

Finally, quick check, how much should the bolt for the insert be torqued back up to? I've had it at around 100nm but not sure if that's too much or not enough. 034 said to have it at 130nm which seems way over the top so not sure what the powerflex one should be, it says "factory torque setting for bolt" but i have no idea what that the factory torque setting for the lower dog bone mount insert bolt is/was xD.

Last edited:

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
I am confused. Are we still talking about the yellow lower engine mount (large) insert for 34.74 on powerflexes website? Or something additional? There are so many different bits i get a bit lost. Are you saying that the full "ENGINE MOUNT HYBRID BUSH (LARGE)" is serving you better than just the standard insert? Or are you using both perfect_g?

I've been using the purple INSERT for a little while now (with a slight mod to remove idle NVH a little) and it's once again it's starting to hop in the dry, in mild to warm whether, despite better throttle control (perhaps my modification has messed it up...wouldn't be surpised do'h!)

Also, probably a stupid question, but what is the PSI of tyre pressure you guys are all running in combination with these inserts/bushes? I didn't realise for ages when i had my new tyres fitted, the bloke had put them all at 30 PSI all round, rather than the suggested 39 in the front and 36 in back (as says in the fuel cap notation) so recently i've upped it to factory spec and I think it's made it worse...i dunno if higher PSI tyres at the front are causing less grip that before now, i assuming yes as more pressure, less grip, and lower pressure, more grip.

I'm actually being gifted a new, yellow insert to try: https://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/product-details/Lower+Engine+Mount+(Large)+Insert/12384.html (the £34 one) to see if that is better...but if people are suggesting the Hybrid Bush is better then maybe I'll get that instead? Not sure if it looks too complicated to install or i'm just being blind.

Finally, quick check, how much should the bolt for the insert be torqued back up to? I've had it at around 100nm but not sure if that's too much or not enough. 034 said to have it at 130nm which seems way over the top so not sure what the powerflex one should be, it says "factory torque setting for bolt" but i have no idea what that the factory torque setting for the lower dog bone mount insert bolt is/was xD.

I use the complete lower engine (dog bone) mount from powerflex in the yellow version (street version - PFF85-833). The price is only slightly more than for the insert.

I struggled to find the right torque numbers so ended up torquing up to 100 nm. Do not know if that is the correct torque but it works and have done so in more than 10k km.

Regarding tire pressure I had a similar experience to yours when I changed to winter tires last season - apparently the tire pressure has a big effect on wheel hop, at least with the standard mount.

Hope that answered your questions

Last edited:

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Can I suggest you call Midland VW? Took mine in for a service recently and they advised against any of the inserts, particularly the 034 one as they had a Leon in with a knackered gearbox due to the insert. They recommend a full mount replacement and they are VERY knowledgable chaps.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
I use the complete lower engine (dog bone) mount from powerflex in the yellow version (street version - PFF85-833). The price is only slightly more than for the insert.

I struggled to find the right torque numbers so ended up torquing up to 100 nm. Do not know if that is the correct torque but it works and have done so in more than 10k km.

Regarding tire pressure I had a similar experience to yours when I changed to winter tires last season - apparently the tire pressure has a big effect on wheel hop, at least with the standard mount.

Hope that answered your questions

I'll take that into consideration for the future if this fresh insert plays up, thanks :).

I'll go for 100nm again then, seems about right for the bolt to be flush.

So what do you have your tyres set to now? Mine seems incredibly high for a factory suggestion I've never had a tyre set to such a high PSI before, so I'm amazed it suggest as high as 39 at the front and 36 at the back for "normal". I may try reducing it to the "comfort" specification which is 35 at the front and 32 at the back and see if that further helps. Otherwise, it's back to 30 all round lol.

Will install today and fiddle about and see what's what. Cheers though.

Last edited:

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
I'll take that into consideration for the future if this fresh insert plays up, thanks :).

I'll go for 100nm again then, seems about right for the bolt to be flush.

So what do you have your tyres set to now? Mine seems incredibly high for a factory suggestion I've never had a tyre set to such a high PSI before, so I'm amazed it suggest as high as 39 at the front and 36 at the back for "normal". I may try reducing it to the "comfort" specification which is 35 at the front and 32 at the back and see if that further helps. Otherwise, it's back to 30 all round lol.

Will install today and fiddle about and see what's what. Cheers though.

I noticed a significant difference in the wheel hop running 35 initially with the winter tires on, but I changed it to the factory spec. as soon as I realized the garage had not inflated as specified - and had problems with wheel hop once again.

However with the powerflex bush and wheel hop not being a significant issue anymore the factory rating of 42 front and 39 back (ST version) is not causing any problems anymore :)

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
How hard is it to fit this Powerflex bushing on a Cupra ST 290?
I havent really opened the hood yet to even look for where the bearing is situated..
But some initial advice from someone who has replaced it would be appreciated :)

I also understand there is an A and B version, how do i spot the diffrences so that i can purchase the correct replacement part from Powerflex?

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
How hard is it to fit this Powerflex bushing on a Cupra ST 290?

I havent really opened the hood yet to even look for where the bearing is situated..

But some initial advice from someone who has replaced it would be appreciated :)

I also understand there is an A and B version, how do i spot the diffrences so that i can purchase the correct replacement part from Powerflex?

It links the gearbox/engine to the underside of the car - have a look at powerflex homepage they have some good illustrations of where it is located (underside in the middle between the front wheels).

Crawl underneath or reach under from the front with your phone and take a picture it is fairly easy to spot the difference.

ecklad

Lord Edmund Blackadder
Can I suggest you call Midland VW? Took mine in for a service recently and they advised against any of the inserts, particularly the 034 one as they had a Leon in with a knackered gearbox due to the insert. They recommend a full mount replacement and they are VERY knowledgable chaps.

How did this 034 insert cause a gearbox failure? How can they make that statement?

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
tried to install today hybrid version and failed. To remove lower bush we should disassemble subframe etc what made the installation quite complex. Did you face the same during installation?

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
tried to install today hybrid version and failed. To remove lower bush we should disassemble subframe etc what made the installation quite complex. Did you face the same during installation?

Just cut the original bush (the white edge of the ring) so it can flex a bit more and you will be able to pull the lower part of the bush out (be careful not to cut the upper part of the bush and the frame).

The Powerflex bush will slide in easily in place of the original one as it is a lot firmer.

You can choose either to use something to tilt the gearbox forward to hold it in place once the bolt is loose or simply remove the dogbone until you have removed the old bush and fitted the new one.

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
ok, sounds good. We unscrewed dogbone, but didn't want to destroy and didn't even think about cutting the rubber part of lower bush. Looking at the below video - it's similar what you are saying. Did you loose any subframe screws or just dogbone's one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNRLt2pZAM

I had seen the video as well but cutting the bush meant we did not have to unscrew anything other than the dogbone and the bolt for the bush itself.

Changing from the black to the yellow version we only removed the bolt for the bush itself, not even the dogbone mounts and it was an easy change.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members