Air Filter and Service Plan

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Collected my 1.2 Tsi 2013 20782 miles from it's 4 Year Major Service today.

Surprised to find that the air filter was not replaced according to the schedule in the SEAT booklets "It's fixed". Every single one from 2013 to 2017 says that the Air Filter should be changed at the 4th Year, major service, 20,000 miles or every 24 months. It's never been replaced at any service so far but is AFAIK to be replaced now.

Reason given by the receptionist is that I have a service plan and VW Finance declined to pay for it. Dealership confirmed that if I bought a Major service off plan then they'd change the air filter (and charge for it!)

After speaking to SEAT Customer Services, they spoke to VW finance who spoke to the Engineers (cost cutters?) who said it should be replaced at 6 years or 60,000 miles. So no, they won't pay.

We are now in a "dispute resolution" situation and a Case handler will be allocated to my case.

Any comments welcome and especially from anyone working at a dealership service department who might be able to say that the engineers from SEAT are correct or the "It's Fixed" book is correct.

What's for sure is that 6 years or 60,000 miles seems a mighty long time before changing the air filter

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I had this issue last year, I took it as a given that the air filter would be changed at least at the second service as it's such an obvious item. Apparently not though and I got the same 6 year quote from seat uk which seems ridiculous.
I ended up replacing it myself and I will now yearly - it costs a tenner and takes 10 minutes. Much less work and grief than chasing seat and vw unfortunately.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
60k for an air filter jesus, I throw a new one in my MK2 Golf TDI every 10k, the leon has a full on intake so no need to change it.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I just had my 4th year service.

I just don't trust from previous services from Seat that they will fit all the parts that are listed in the service schedule.

And the parts in brackets (If needed) means not needed in their eyes.

So 4th year, I got Seat to change oil and filter only. Changed the air, pollen, and fuel filter myself and checked all the other parts and saved a huge chunk from that £280 and know that the parts have been replaced and not too bothered about not getting the book stamped by the dealer either as I know what has been done and kept the receipts.

Car is similar mileage to op at 22k so quite low miles for age.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I think my point is that they will require and charge for parts when the customer pays but not if they are paying. The air filter is either required or it isn't. So all those people who have paid for a 4 year service air filter (as confirmed by the dealership) have been charged unnecessarily. Wonder what the motor trade bodies will make of that.

Another point is that the 4 year schedule says air filter but the engineer says 6 years. The two will never coincide until year 12.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
i would have thought 4/40k was a bit on the long side, but 6/60k?!

After 4 years the car will have seen 4 autumns (or is it 3 due to some calendar weirdness???). That's 4 years worth of little leaves that find their way inside, not to mention the other usual bits and pieces.

Could it be a case of 'inspect at 4/40, replace if necessary, otherwise replace at 6/60'?. That seems dumb too. What happens at 5/50?

I thought the whole idea of fixed price servicing was that you get all the bits done, not that you get what is authorised. If it's the latter then you're better off going to Halfords Autocentre and having one of their major services every 2 years/20k.

p.s. Hi Dep! not crossed paths on here for a couple of years :) :wave:

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Hi Bubbs, the whole thing is a mystery. Hopefully, once my call handler makes contact all will be revealed and some compo, like an air cleaner, to my satisfaction.

On here most days and still monitoring my legacy of washer fan jets thread

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Received a letter from VW financial services complaints today. Checked by phone that the complaint was accurate. It was. Comment from call handler " 60k 6 years seems a long time before changing the air filter".

Awaiting resolution now.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Received a letter from VW financial services complaints today. Checked by phone that the complaint was accurate. It was. Comment from call handler " 60k 6 years seems a long time before changing the air filter".

Awaiting resolution now.
It would be funny if it was just an oversight and then they have to do a mass recall to change airfilters

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
What's for sure is that 6 years or 60,000 miles seems a mighty long time before changing the air filter
It's nuts, and another reason to avoid the franchised dealers for anything other than warranty work.

Midland VW for example change the air filter at every major (2 yr) service.
SEAT dealers want £39 for replacing the front wiper blades and the same for an air filter, that should be enough to let you know they're a rip off.

Good luck with pursuing your grievance.:thumbup:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
So here we are 3 weeks on from the air filter not fitted at service saga. I now have a letter acknowledging complaint, a dedicated handler and a conversation with said handler. All for a £17 air filter.

No-one I have spoken to had had anything but a jaw drop moment when I told them that the engineers state the air filter is changed at 60,000 or 6 years.

I did look in the box and it's grubby but not filthy. Needed a Hoover out though.

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks Curtly,

I think it'll cost them more than the airfilter after some compo for time , travel and energy. ;)

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Had a call today from my handler.

Agreed to pay for the filter, fitting and 50% compo. Happy. :D

Connected to the Maintenance team at VW Financial Services who confirmed to me personally that the service interval as specified by the factory in Spain is 60,000 miles or 6 years.

So I pursued why all the It's Fixed booklets from SEAT UK (2012 to 2017) state w/o exception that the air filter is replaced at 20,000 miles or 2 years at a Major service. It's over servicing was the reply.

So I pressed my handler to raise this up the food chain as it is clearly ripping people off who are persuaded to buy two sets of air filters plus labour at a current cost of £39x2= £78 when there is no need to do so because it is outside the manufacturers specification.

They agreed to do so.

I also speculated what else is part of the Major/Minor servicing eg the cambelt. I was told this only needs replacing at 140,000 miles. I had been told back in 2013 that it should be replaced at 120,000 aftre inspections at 60k, 80k, 100k.

What would be really helpful is if customers could be given the correct service schedules for their vehicles. Even the Cars maintenance Programme booklet only keeps a record of what work is done.

Also worth noting that any dealer who tries to tell you that the 1.2TSi engine that fails prior to 60,000 miles was because the airfilter was not changed a/c to schedule is telling untruths.

Any VW/SEAT guys out there with access to the real service schedules rather than the marketing hyped ones?

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Seat service schedules available here

https://erwin.seat.com/erwin/showHome.do

There is a great document on there called D3E804FD4C3-Maintenance and it lists everything needed for Seat Leon servicing.

I would share it but its not mine to share and I had to pay to access it

Here is what it says about the air filter

and here is the front page,its a good document, 175 pages in total

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.