Leon FR, 10k budget (Deposit left)

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Do we know that is going to happen though and when? 60 miles a day, do you think a petrol could match the mpg figures of a diesel?

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
Do we know that is going to happen though and when? 60 miles a day, do you think a petrol could match the mpg figures of a diesel?

There is a very good reason why orders are taking so long with huge delays for a new Leon with the EcoTsi engine and that's because it is coming, pretty much the whole of Europe (less some of the Scandinavian countries) have to reduce some of the specific Diesel only emissions, it's not a fact but general consensus is that legislation is going to change and it is likely to happen BEFORE 2020 as there are a number of "targets" that are required under various agreements that have to be met by 2021/22. What no one knows for sure is what is coming.

A petrol does not have to match a diesel for consumption because it is cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and it's fuel is also cheaper and likely to be even more so in the future, so if you could average over 50mpg on a longer run in an Ecotsi the likelihood is it would be more cost effective. We all get caught up on consumption when really we should get caught up on cost.

The funny thing is, my last 4 cars have all been Diesel and I have enjoyed all of them but many think those days may be slowly coming to an end.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
The ecotsi is out of my price range.

As for the running costs; I am lucky that my wife works at a VW garage so gets good rates for serving, etc

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
The ecotsi is out of my price range.

As for the running costs; I am lucky that my wife works at a VW garage so gets good rates for serving, etc

The Ecotsi is out of your price range but the 184 Diesel is within it? The petrol is about £2k cheaper new. One of the things that has been mentioned by the government is increasing tax on Diesel fuel and lowering it on unleaded, again we will not know specifically what that means until it is about to happen but some speculation is that it could be 10 - 15 pence per litre more expensive in order to discourage diesel engines, the irony of all this is that governments for the last 20+ years have been encouraging us to go diesel to now change there minds.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
The Ecotsi is out of your price range but the 184 Diesel is within it? The petrol is about £2k cheaper new. One of the things that has been mentioned by the government is increasing tax on Diesel fuel and lowering it on unleaded, again we will not know specifically what that means until it is about to happen but some speculation is that it could be 10 - 15 pence per litre more expensive in order to discourage diesel engines, the irony of all this is that governments for the last 20+ years have been encouraging us to go diesel to now change there minds.

Going from AutoTrader, nearest was 12k. The 184 is around 11k although one went for 10 recently. I need to drop to the 148 as mentioned earlier in the post. From what I can tell, the ecotsi is newer? 2013 is roughly the age I am seeing with my searches for the 148 FR

Yes you are right, governments did the old scrappage scheme to get more diesels sold and it worked. Manufactures are still making diesels too.

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
Yeah your right, I just checked SEAT's used car network, selected FR trim, not older than 4 years with upto 30k miles and not a single car came up for any engine! :blink:

Last edited:

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Once the seat is in I find find it easier to get in the back, in front of the kid to seat up without twisting and straining which you can do in a 3 door esp with easy access seats. If you're carry cot stage, less so.

The way mine is depreciating I'll be glad to see 10k in two years time. If you can find a private sale looking to clear a balloon payment and recoup a few hundred you should get one for the money.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Trouble is when I do have the children, it is to take them to my folks and the seats goes in for the journey and out when I arrive. It really was awkward trying to fit it for the 3 door test drive. Once in, should be ok as they are 7 and 5 so can belt themselves up. Coming from an Octavia estate, I know it is going to be a bit smaller, lol

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Thanks for the heads up re emissions, what a ball ache. Best remember to ask the seller before I make the trip to view it

i'm almost 100% sure none of the 5F leon diesel engines are affected by the emissions scandal/fix

It's the EA189 diesel engine that's affected. The 5F Leons all got the newer EA288 engine.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
i'm almost 100% sure none of the 5F leon diesel engines are affected by the emissions scandal/fix

It's the EA189 diesel engine that's affected. The 5F Leons all got the newer EA288 engine.

must admit, the tech at VW didn't mention it to my wife, but the one I am trying to sort a viewing had a leaking camshaft fixed under warranty

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Currently in a price war with a dealer, more miles than I wanted but at least it means it has been driven and slightly over budget, oh well! :rofl:

Does have most packs as well as Seat sound so not all bad. Just waiting for a call back, if ok could be collected at the weekend

Last edited:

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
deposit left

media

Last edited:

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Trading in my 2015 Leon 184 ST Titanium + Tech pack with 30k miles soon, new Seat discs and pads all round in July and oil changed at least every 10k. 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres in Feb.

Happily take £11.5k for it on the day I get my new car.

Here she is

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
very nice bud. Not wanting another estate myself, happily going smaller and wayyy over my budget. The grey one is more than I wanted to pay but happy to do so for the extra warranty peace of mind