Fuel filter on 2.0 TDi FR 184 2014

Gortex

Sep 21, 2017
Hi.

I'm looking to change the fuel filter on my 2014 leon 184 FR.
My question is do you need vag-com to get the air out or can you do it on turning the key to run the fuel pump.

Thanks

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Don't need to use vag-com/VCDS, just key on, wait 30s, key off, repeat a few times then start and idle for a few mins. I changed mine a while ago and it all worked fine.

Oct 28, 2017
You don't need VCDS to prime the fuel system to start your engine.

However, you might consider that your high-pressure fuel pump is running dry at startup! And that can lead to potential failure at some stage or decreased performance.

Gortex

Sep 21, 2017
Don't need to use vag-com/VCDS, just key on, wait 30s, key off, repeat a few times then start and idle for a few mins. I changed mine a while ago and it all worked fine.

You don't need VCDS to prime the fuel system to start your engine.

However, you might consider that your high-pressure fuel pump is running dry at startup! And that can lead to potential failure at some stage or decreased performance.

So is it better in the long run to use Vag-Com ?
Thanks.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
High pressure pump wont be run dry from a filter change. It will only run dry if the pump is replaced etc. So you really don't need to use VCDS / VagCom to run the supply pump, a few key cycles like I said is fine.

I've been working on CR systems for many years now and it takes quite a bit of work to run a pump dry.

Oct 28, 2017
High pressure pump wont be run dry from a filter change. It will only run dry if the pump is replaced etc. So you really don't need to use VCDS / VagCom to run the supply pump, a few key cycles like I said is fine.

I've been working on CR systems for many years now and it takes quite a bit of work to run a pump dry.

Then perhaps your work shut be avoided.

As per turning the key does absolutely nothing on ea288 cr tdi.

The supply pump will be engaged on cranking, so when you replacing your filter element. You either run 3x cycles or do 3min purge via supply pump.

Not sure where you've got your knowledge from, but read the service bulletins before proceeding any work on any vehicles.

Anyone following the diy incorrectly will be truly pleased when something goes wrong.

Anyone can do bit of search or YouTube for correct info.

So yes, you do need a vcds or equivalent to do this correctly.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Then perhaps your work shut be avoided.

As per turning the key does absolutely nothing on ea288 cr tdi.

The supply pump will be engaged on cranking, so when you replacing your filter element. You either run 3x cycles or do 3min purge via supply pump.

Not sure where you've got your knowledge from, but read the service bulletins before proceeding any work on any vehicles.

Anyone following the diy incorrectly will be truly pleased when something goes wrong.

Anyone can do bit of search or YouTube for correct info.

So yes, you do need a vcds or equivalent to do this correctly.

Haha. You judge me and my work without knowing anything about my background.

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
I changed mine ,got some diesel in my clean fuel can from the garage and topped up the filter housing and put the new fuel filter in and caught the small amount of excess diesel that spilled over with rags round the housing and when i started it was just like a normal start no excess cranking at all

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dt-spd

Gortex

Sep 21, 2017
I changed mine ,got some diesel in my clean fuel can from the garage and topped up the filter housing and put the new fuel filter in and caught the small amount of excess diesel that spilled over with rags round the housing and when i started it was just like a normal start no excess cranking at all

Thank you for the update. I was going to try something like this.

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
Its easy to do and due to the design of filter when it fits in the only way the fuel can enter the clean side of filter is filtered through it

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Does anyone know the part number for 2.0tdi 184 fuel filter
Seems there's 2 types and I keep getting the wrong, smaller version.
Thx

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.