Eco Mode Issue?

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Had my Seat Leon Fr SC 1.4 150ps DSG for just under a month now and loving the car. It was well worth the 5 months of waiting.

I have a quick question regarding Eco mode on the car.

If I start the car and select Eco mode on the 3.5 inch display next to the dials the Gear that is selected is displayed as E1,E2,E3 ect... which I assume is Eco.

If I then turn the car off then turn the car back on the car is still in Eco mode as the 'Mode' buttom is still yellow and when pressed it shows the car is in Eco mode however, on the 3.5 inch display the Gear that is selected is displayed as D1,D2,D3 ect... which I assume is Normal mode.

Basically, is the car actually in normal mode and not Eco since the gear is displayed as D1 and not E1?

This is my first SEAT and was wondering if anyone has even noticed this before?

Cheers.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Easiest way to test it is see if the coasting function is still active- when you lift your foot off the accelerator down a hill for instance, the car defaults to idle speed until you press the accelerator again. Only eco mode has the coast function I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
By design the engine setting always reverts to normal when you restart the car - the other settings remain as selected. Annoying isn't it.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Easiest way to test it is see if the coasting function is still active- when you lift your foot off the accelerator down a hill for instance, the car defaults to idle speed until you press the accelerator again. Only eco mode has the coast function I believe.

Is this when the Gear indicator would change from E3 to just E when in coast mode?

By design the engine setting always reverts to normal when you restart the car - the other settings remain as selected. Annoying isn't it.

Well if that is the case I've been driving in normal mode for 1000 miles when I thought I was in eco :blink: So hopefully I can get my average mpg above 41 now :p

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Eco mode is barely worth the time. I get more mpg out of normal mode anyway as eco just seems to Labour a lot more.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Is this when the Gear indicator would change from E3 to just E when in coast mode?

Well if that is the case I've been driving in normal mode for 1000 miles when I thought I was in eco :blink: So hopefully I can get my average mpg above 41 now :p

That’s the one yes. I tried it for a while but didn’t like the constant cutting in and out, albeit quite smooth. Just felt if I needed the power suddenly the brief lag might be a problem...

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
That’s the one yes. I tried it for a while but didn’t like the constant cutting in and out, albeit quite smooth. Just felt if I needed the power suddenly the brief lag might be a problem...

I also gave up on Eco in my 184 DSG - I felt it stressed the clutch and brakes for no discernable benefit. Much preferred the engine braking I got from Normal mode.

Last edited:

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Normal mode still uses the cylinder shutdown so on a steady run I wonder what else eco mode can do over and above normal? I used eco for a while on my commute of 25 miles of a road and a small stretch of dual carriageway and got 4 or 5 less mpg than in normal mode. The only thing I seemed to gain was a laggy throttle response so switched back to normal.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Having done my 15 mile journey to work today I used Eco from the get go, 13 miles on motorway in total but 3 miles start stop traffic. The throttle is heavily reduced and the coasting feature isn't great on the motorway as you constantly have to brake and accelerate in slow traffic compared to normal when engine break is usually suffice to slow the car down so you never need to use the brake pedal. However, with this said I did get 6/7 Mpg more than normal mode which over a week builds up so I will continue to use it... if I remember to keep turning it on :shrug:

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Contrary to other posts on here and my own drivers manual, mine appears to stay in whatever mode it was left in before start up? I have tried it with sport mode and throttle response is still improved and steering heavier even after having ignition off for the day at work?

Can't explain why, just my experience after I tested it following a response on another thread a while back.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Contrary to other posts on here and my own drivers manual, mine appears to stay in whatever mode it was left in before start up? I have tried it with sport mode and throttle response is still improved and steering heavier even after having ignition off for the day at work?

Can't explain why, just my experience after I tested it following a response on another thread a while back.

Same here with my 2016 MY 1.4ACT FR ST.

nbullus

Apr 21, 2017

This is very intriguing.

If I change to Cupra profile (defaults to Sport gearbox) and change to Normal gearbox, this is the setting it starts on when I get back in the car (at least I thought it was).

However, the manual seems to state exactly what other people have been experiencing:

"When the vehicle is switched off it will always store the driving profile that was selected when the ignition key was removed. Nevertheless, when the engine is restarted, the engine and gear will not restart in the setting selected. For engine and gear to revert to the desired position, select the corresponding profile again or press Easy Connect system button repeatedly"

So I take this to mean that it will remember what profile you were last in, but actually set it to Normal profile. You then have to reselect the required profile again to actually put it back into the mode you were previously in.

This means that I thought that I had been driving round in Cupra profile with Normal gearbox on start up, but have probably been starting in Normal profile. I will run a few tests myself as I thought I was getting better than expected mpg for Cupra mode!

What is the point in remembering what profile you selected and then tricking you into thinking this is the same mode you are in on start up? Would be much more convenient to put it back to the Normal profile and highlight that it is back in this Normal mode on the screen.

I will set my Individual profile up as Eco settings (no Eco mode on Cupra model) and see what it remembers on start up.

Last edited:

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
The engine setting always reverts to normal on restart, whatever the profile. For the DSG it’s apparent from the gear indicator (E, N,S) prefix which engine setting you have at any point. Its hard to mistake Sport though considering it holds onto each gear so much longer!

nbullus

Apr 21, 2017
Tried this and can confirm on the Cupra 300 it doesn't quite work as the manual said.

It always leaves it in the drive profile you last selected. Mine is DSG and does swap the gearbox setting from (S)port (if Cupra or Sport profile previously selected) to (D)rive on start up. To put it back into true Sport/Cupra mode just flick the gearstick back a notch and you are back as you were. I leave mine in Drive gearbox setting anyway around town so everything is left as it was when I next get back into the car.

The only way I can tell is that Sport makes a slightly more raspy engine/exhaust sound than Cupra mode and you can spot it a mile off. Keys out and back in and same raspy sound. Also tried switching car off in Comfort mode and starts back up in Comfort mode.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.