Oil Filter Tool

deamer44

Sep 14, 2015
Hi,

Does anyone have some information on what tool I need to buy to replace my oil filter (i've already bought the oil filter).

In addition are there any guides online showing how to replace, i've done a google search and can't seem to find anything conclusive.

Last edited:

Hughsey

Jan 23, 2016
Hi,

Does anyone have some information on what tool I need to buy to replace my oil filter (i've already bought the oil filter).

In addition are there any guides online showing how to replace, i've done a google search and can't seem to find anything conclusive.

I used one of these on my 1.4 leon fr
The filter is under the car and screws off
I just then screwed it on by hand and did one turn with cap on

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=o...igB&biw=1920&bih=916#spd=14356259243386803704

Hughsey

Jan 23, 2016
Hi,

Are you doing Oil change as well?

deamer44

Sep 14, 2015
on the older PD diesels and the first gen CR diesels the oil filter was accessible from the top.

The latest diesel engine as fitted to the mk3 Leons you need to access it from the underside.

Do I need to jack the car up for that?
I still can't find any tutorials for this.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
the latest tdi engine has the code EA288, so a quick google for EA288 oil change should give you some pointers.
Including one forum thread titled 'worse oil change ever'

deamer44

Sep 14, 2015
Damn it I thought it was on the top. I just bought all of the bits but I don't have a ramp. I guess I'll just take it to the garage.

deamer44

Sep 14, 2015
the latest tdi engine has the code EA288, so a quick google for EA288 oil change should give you some pointers.

By the way, my car is a 64 plate, so I need to check if it is definitely that engine!
Not sure how maybe the VIN number?

Hughsey

Jan 23, 2016
By the way, my car is a 64 plate, so I need to check if it is definitely that engine!
Not sure how maybe the VIN number?
Have a quick look under engine cover. You would spot it straight away but I'm guessing it's under the car
If you don't have a jack then I would just take to garage
The car needs to be jacked quite high so you can see what you are doing when attempting oil change

deamer44

Sep 14, 2015
Have a quick look under engine cover. You would spot it straight away but I'm guessing it's under the car
If you don't have a jack then I would just take to garage
The car needs to be jacked quite high so you can see what you are doing when attempting oil change

I need to figure out how to remove the engine cover then!
I will just suck out the oil from the dip stick with a pump :).

deamer44

Sep 14, 2015

My car is the 150BHP edition, is that the same engine EA288? Or is that only for the 184 BHP?

Hughsey

Jan 23, 2016
I need to figure out how to remove the engine cover then!
I will just suck out the oil from the dip stick with a pump :).
Errgh! Not sure what benefit your car will have from removing oil via a pump
Do a spalsh n dash at garage mate!

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
My car is the 150BHP edition, is that the same engine EA288? Or is that only for the 184 BHP?

the whole family of diesel engines is called the EA288.
The previous gen engine - the one affected by the emissions scandal - is the EA189. Production of this ended in 2014(ish)

the mk3 Leon only got the EA288 afaik

Within each family, each engine has a code. This is stamped on the VIN plate found inside the drivers door shut. My 184 is engine code CUPA.

This engine code should also be on the sticker found on the floor of the boot.

if you want to get really technical he's some reading on the EA288 engine

http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

:)

deamer44

Sep 14, 2015
the whole family of diesel engines is called the EA288.
The previous gen engine - the one affected by the emissions scandal - is the EA189. Production of this ended in 2014(ish)

the mk3 Leon only got the EA288 afaik

Within each family, each engine has a code. This is stamped on the VIN plate found inside the drivers door shut. My 184 is engine code CUPA.

This engine code should also be on the sticker found on the floor of the boot.

if you want to get really technical he's some reading on the EA288 engine

:)

Thanks for all of your help, really appreciate it!

deamer44

Sep 14, 2015
Errgh! Not sure what benefit your car will have from removing oil via a pump
Do a spalsh n dash at garage mate!

No idea what splash and dash means haha, luckily my friend has ramps etc so we will sort out at the weekend. Thanks for your help! Looks like a bit of a pain in the ass regarding removing the oil filter! Oh well, all good experience anyway.