Esso Supreme 97 experience

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hi all, as the title suggests, anyone tried this before on their TSI (1.0/1.2/1.4/1.8/2.0)?

Reason I ask is that, I've got a 1.0 TSI DSG. I guess its a 3 cyl engine 'quirk' from base revs till about 1.7k rpm it tends to 'stutter' a bit. Usually I fuel up with BP/Esso/Shell 95. I have also fueled with Momentum 99 & Shell Vpower 99. Momentum I have felt no different whatsoever mpg, or power. Vpower at least I may not feel any power gains (it's a 1.0 at the end of the day) but I do get improved mpg at least on the trip info.

Yesterday I thought, ok..lets try £25 worth of Esso 97 Supreme. I can't notice power gains, or mpg yet BUT...I did notice, the stutter is greatly reduced. I would have thought the 'king' of fuels Shell Vpower 99 would do this, but to my surprise, Esso 97 managed to 'suppress' these stuttering...giving a much smoother take off from standstill.

Anyone have any experience with Esso 97? I had a good 'surprise' when I used it for the first time yesterday.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I've not tried the petrol versions of these premium fuels as I currently run a diesel. I have tried all the diesel versions and found that Esso Supreme worked best in my car.

Every car will react differently to different fuels, especially as the changes are so small and down to interpretation by the driver. Although Vpower and Momentum have the highest RON it may be that your engine doesn't need the high RON and that it's other factors ( fuel blend, additives etc) that mean you are seeing an improvement.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
We used to have a really poor running car on TESCO diesel, but I don't know if it was the fuel or that she used the same filling station all the time.

Could it be the filling station you use?

My 1.0 TSi runs sweetly on Shell 95 at any revs.

Have you read the faults?

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
Tesco diesel makes my car feel like its lacking in pick up/torque. Might just be me though. Shell fuel save diesel feels better and gives a few more miles. I'd only consider the vpower stuff every so often

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
We used to have a really poor running car on TESCO diesel, but I don't know if it was the fuel or that she used the same filling station all the time.

Could it be the filling station you use?

My 1.0 TSi runs sweetly on Shell 95 at any revs.

Have you read the faults?

Mine's a 1.0 TSI DSG...it tends to stutter/vibrate a bit, from base to about 1.8k rpms...on all fuels...except Esso Supreme 97. It seems to reduced this by 50%. Stutter / vibrate like when you drop the clutch on a manual car. It only does so on 1st and 2nd gears.

I don't believe it's a fault, but a 'quirk' of a small displacement engine. Have had DSGs before and only the 1.0 stutters, the 1.6MPI, 2.0TDI 1.4TSI (old one) doesn't do this from base revs.

Orguss

Jul 3, 2017
Hampshire
I found i need to try most fuels with weach car as the all react differently. My MK1 Cupra ran smooth on Tesco 99 and Vpower but got an a stutter whilst on Esso or BP, whereas my GT86's idle was really lumpy on Tesco 99 but was fine on Vpower and BP Ultimate.

Haven't yet found a fuel that phases my wifes 2016 Polo GTi

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Tesco diesel makes my car feel like its lacking in pick up/torque. Might just be me though. Shell fuel save diesel feels better and gives a few more miles. I'd only consider the vpower stuff every so often

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yup, even when I filled up (Tesco diesel 10 liters), picked up my friend (a usual thing we do every Sun for sports). even he commented, your engine woke up on the wrong side of the bed? And he didn't know that I refueled. Just noticed something 'different' with the engine.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
in my experience (you know I've been around here a while now :p)

all of my TDI's (which have all been heavily tuned) have run fine on normal diesel, fuel save, Tesco diesel etc. I always lobbed some fuel treatment in every 5 or 6 tanks.

Petrol's on the other hand are a lot more needy. if you have a "normal" car aka not a Cupra then they should run ok on 95ron. 97 ron they will run better, 99ron will run better of course.

Cupra needs a minimum of 98 to run at peak performance.

then there's modified cars, my file is for a minimum of 99ron, when we logged it on 97ron it was pulling timing like hell.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.