Key battery warning

andrew_ww

Nov 15, 2007
Hi,

Got a warning to change the battery in my key today, I assume this is a diy job and not a dealer activity?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Yep very simple.

The battery cover just pulls off the key then you can take the battery out. Can’t remember off hand which battery you need but it’s easy to check your key.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Really easy to do. YouTube video showing you how to do it;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=va8mJhsfeGA

The guy on the video says it’s difficult to remove the battery cover on the key fob. It wasn’t difficult on mine - I used a 50p piece to remove the cover - put the edge of the coin in the slot where the key blade folds into and just twisted it and the cover popped off.

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
The battery is a 2025. With these batteries 20 is the diameter (20mm) and 25 is the thickness (2.5mm). It's important to buy a reputable brand from a reputable source.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
I did this the other week. Used a knife to wedge open the fob. It was a bit tight and it felt like I was about to break something but then it just popped off. I got a couple of Duracells from Argos for £4.

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
I changed the battery on mine a few weeks ago, every now and then I still get the change battery warning. It even stopped working until i took out the battery and put it back in. It was an RS battery I got from the maintenance guys at work. I should probably go buy a reputable battery from the shop and change it again.

Last edited:

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
You have to replace the battery and it will go away. If you still have the warning then the new battery you've used isn't any good.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Tha_Matt_Man

Jun 17, 2020
Belgium
Small "hack", the battery is the CR2025 but you can fit a 2032.

The 2032 is only thicker (higher capacity) but you can fit it in. If the battery jumps out, use something to keep it pushed down and click the cover back on it.

Last edited:

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It doesn't matter what the battery checker says, mine also had the right voltage but the key still didn't like it. The 2032 battery trick solved the problem, as it has nearly double the capacity of the 2025 and a much longer shelf life.

davelee

Nov 12, 2015
Contacted Unicars told to buy special tool have to travel 80k to do this then they tell me they will not tell me the battery number not nice also charge €20 per litre thats €110 for 5.5 ltrs disgusting.

davelee

Nov 12, 2015
2025 is what is in there when removed pop's out 2032 will stick out need lid to push in

Sean Ryan

May 2, 2020
Anyone else had this issue. both keys came up the warning within 2 months of each other. replaced both batteries with decent energizer ones. Warning still there for both keys.
I kept using the main key until the battery died and couldn't unlock the car, since replacing the key works fine now but warning is still there.