Drive Shafts

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
Hey guys. Just looking for a bit of advice. My car 2005 ASZ 1.9tdi now has 60k miles on the clock. Is it time to consider new wheel bearings and driveshafts or is it too soon. Any experiences will be greatly appreciated.

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
If there is nothing wrong with them I would not change them. I have just replaced for the first time both drive shafts and wheel bearings at 123,000 miles and only now because there was a slight drone coming from nearside wheel bearing.

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
Thanks very much. Did you replace with originals and how does your drive feel. On mine, I think there is slight vibration (roughness) that is not from the tyres as I have had them checked and checked again.

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
I replaced with aftermarket ones, use good quality wheel bearings. Ride feels OK. Drive shafts are easy to replace - undo main hub nut (crack the nut with wheel still on the floor as it's very tight). Undo the six allen bolts on inboard side of drive shaft (drivers side is a split shaft with a bearing carrier bolted to the engine (I replace all of this). Undo steering arm and swivel enough to remove drive shaft out of hub. Replace in reverse order.

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
Hi,
Thanks again. I think I will go with SKF shafts (if I go down that road). Was your intermediate shaft worn or did you just change it since you were replacing the shafts? I am driving up to Aberdeen (from London) at Christmas when I hope to learn what I can about any unusual sounds/behaviours.

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
There didn't appear to be any wear on the intermediate shaft but as I had already bought it and it seemed a bit dull to fit new splines into old drive I fitted a new intermediary as well.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.