Leon fr which engine

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
Hi
I'm currently looking to change cars the choices are leon fr tsi 1.4 or 1.8 petrol as i only do around 5000 miles per annum.
Budget around 12k What's the pros and cons of these models

Thank's

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
1.8 pros are faster, bigger breaks and better multi link rear suspension.

1.4 pros are better fuel economy, cheaper road tax, cheaper to buy on the used car market.

Ibiza06

Aug 4, 2010
Is it cheaper road tax now the majority of cars are on the £140 flat rate?

Last edited:

bradleymarky

Nov 7, 2017
Huddersfield
I`m in the same boat but want diesel, looked at a few but either get a poor trade-in or the condition is bad.
6 weeks of looking now and getting fed up. Really want the 184 DSG but with £12k budget they are higher mileage than i wanted or the wrong colour.

I dont really want the 150 due to my current car being 160 but desperation is starting to kick in :shrug: so may go for the 150.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I don't think the choices are that simple. I also only do about 5k a year but opted for the 1.4 dsg out of choice. £30 a year tax. I actually found 1.8's were cheaper on the used market than the 1.4's. My previous car was Mazda 6 mps so I know what power is about but I was surprisingly impressed by the performance that's produced from such a small engine. I'm still getting used to getting the best out of the dsg and I'm getting on the gas sooner over speed humps to reduce the lag and also blipping the paddle when in auto mode at roundabouts to prevent the hesitation people have noted. I think the 1.4 is a superb compromise between economy and performance... otherwise we would all be in cupra's. Opt for what suits your needs best!

Last edited:

Mean

Nov 3, 2017
I do like and recommend the 1.8 TSI because of the bigger brakes and multi-link rear suspension. Power wise 1.4 TSI is more than adequate and it is the more sophisticated engine because of ACT.

Last edited:

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
I really like both engines and I too only do around 4 or 5k miles per year, the wife has the 1.4 in her Audi and goes great if a little heavier than the Leon so I test drove both and I preferred the 1.8Tsi which is ultimately what I went with, not a great deal of performance difference but on the fast pull away you can def feel a little more urgency, the car just felt a little more poised all round, probably due to the "proper" suspension :D

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I have the 1.4 and am impressed with the performance except on the odd occasion. I am considering a dtuk box which takes it to the 1.8 level anyway but with the increased economy for the commute, cheaper road tax and insurance

I find for quick general road use the torsion beam suspension to be just fine, was pleasantly surprised given the last few carried had have had independent multi link.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I do like and recommend the 1.8 TSI because of the bigger brakes and multi-link rear suspension. Power wise 1.4 TSI is more than adequate and it is the more sophisticated engine because of ACT.

I also had a similar decision to make this time last year.
I'd had a 1.8 Tsi for nearly 4 years and was thinking of changing it for another after the facelift. SEAT initially didn't offer the 1.8 in the UK and when my dealer tried to order one for me it wasn't available on the system to order this time last year. At the time SEAT actually said that it wasn't going to be available. Their indecision eventually lost them a sale!

Whilst looking at the 1.4 Tsi instead, I discovered that VW were at the time doing a fantastic offer on Golfs, selling their pre facelift models off with almost a £3,000 discount.
I managed to get a VW Golf GT Edition for no more than I was going to pay for a SEAT FR. This has the 1.4 ACT engine, the bigger brakes and multilink rear suspension plus it came with 18 inch wheels, front and rear parking sensors, adaptive cruise control etc all as standard. It's a great combination getting the better brakes, suspension etc with the 1.4 engine. Also really liking the DSG gearbox. The only thing I really miss from by 1.8 SEAT FR are the LED lights. I'm not really noticing a significant difference between the 1.8 and 1.4 engines but I am enjoying getting almost 10 mpg more and the cheaper road tax etc.

I notice some people are saying on here that the used 1.8's are selling at a cheaper price than 1.4's. I'm not surprised as the depreciation on my last 1.8 FR was unbelievable. Hopefully going for a VW Golf will help that situation in 3-4 years time when I next exchange my car.

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
Hi again
Some good comments about both cars
Just need to find the correct car most of the cars i like are always some distance away from my location........

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
Ended up buying 1.4 fr act really impressed so far just have pick up few bits
spare wheel kit 18", boot tray and mud guards also.

Last edited:

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Nice. Didn't know about the suspension differences. That's just plain odd on the same trim level, don't you think?
Not really. The suspension and brake differences are triggered by the engine output across the range. More power so bigger brakes, suspension upgrade should help keep a notionally higher performance car better planted.

Doubtless there's also a cost incentive to keep the price down on the 1.4 FR too. The Golf GT 1.4 has the independent suspension for example.

The basic suspension works just fine, but if you must have 18" wheels then the better rear end is a good idea.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.