Thinking of buying this mk1 cupra r anyone’s?

Sharkdisco

Jan 9, 2015
Hello

Interested in the cupra r that’s advertised on autotrader

4 owners full history 29k priced at £6995onvo

Keep hearing different stories that they are a good car but also can be money pits?

How’s everyone’s experience been and cost wise?

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
This is a massivly open ended question.

They have many common faults that are normally age/mileage related, but nothing I would say is a deal breaker, just normal wear and tear.

As that car is such low mileage, I would try and validate that, (especially as that's over 4 owners) where possible but other than that, just look for receipts and service stamps to ensure its been well cared for.

What drew you to that one in particular? The mileage is low, but price is high. Cars sub 100k seem to be around £4k-£5k if stock and well looked after, but on the flip side, if you want one that needs a little work, you can pick them up for as little as £2k.

What are your requirements?

They are great cars. Look amazing, practical, comfortable and a joy to drive.

Sharkdisco

Jan 9, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

It was the mileage that drew me to the car, I’ve checked the service history and every service it had an MOT, checked online with mot’s too all shows to be true.

Last service was at seat with water pump and belt and other things totalled £1000 service with receipts.

Was also thinking maybe as an investment? Maybe wrap it in a bubble for good few years?

Just been looking for for low mileage standard. I’m currently negotiating price with the seller.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
How much!!!

They’re nice cars (I’ve happy owned a TDI for 11 years) but it’s a 12+ year old Seat. They’re never going to get the following/price increases seen by the S3 or R32.

Apparently a 4 wheel drive version of the MK1 Leon was sold in Europe. That maybe go up in value but personally I can’t see the our Cupra R being worth that much.

It’s not a VW/Audi and only 2 wheel drive.

Sharkdisco

Jan 9, 2015
Haha I thought the same hence I’ve negotiated a price a lot lower just unsure it’s worth and I guess your saying if I purchase even look after it don’t do many miles I’m still going to lose money I guess

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I bought mine (normal Cupra) on 17k in 2013. It’s now on 62k.

It’s had a new cat back exhaust, sump, secondary air pump, brake switch, wiper relay and CV boots. So about £900 on repairs over the 4 years. Plus 3 lots of front tyres and 2 lots of rears.

Sharkdisco

Jan 9, 2015
I bought mine (normal Cupra) on 17k in 2013. It’s now on 62k.

It’s had a new cat back exhaust, sump, secondary air pump, brake switch, wiper relay and CV boots. So about £900 on repairs over the 4 years. Plus 3 lots of front tyres and 2 lots of rears.

Thanks for that, not too bad then appreciate the input I’m still on the fence on what to do:shrug:

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
Thanks for that, not too bad then appreciate the input I’m still on the fence on what to do:shrug:

Buy mine for £4k :)

2004 LCR 225 - BAM

82k miles.

Red. No fade or lacquer peel. Washed and waxed weekly.

A1 condition, no expense spared model with FSH, stacks of receipts.

Still considered a low milage model (6k a year) compared to many avaliable.

Totally stock except LED head lights, aftermarket OEM look bluetooth head unit, Fabia rear wipers, MK5 Golf front wiper arm and blades.

:)

Cant workout how to upload pictures. Doh!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi.
I paid around 4500 for an 05 Cupra R with 49k
Put new headlights on , water pump and timing belt( can't be too careful)
Brakes were screwed. Needed discs and pads all round.
Be warned. Mine had crashed at one point. Not a biggie but wing and bumper resprayed. Nothing in the receipts to show it had happened.
Also my turbo had damage to front blades and play in the rear.
This part has become costly as the recon turbo I have had fitted doesn't hold boost as it should and now it's coming out again.
Lastly Exhaust was in poor condition. Good reason to go custom!
All expensive stuff.
On the plus side. It's a great car with a sound engine. Looks fantastic.
Feels solid. Very rapid. Tons of smiles and very modable.
Things to look for are door seals failing which ends up giving you damp carpets inside. Also prone to leak from boot as connectors to rear wash wipe can come loose.
Door locking modules seem to fail on these too.
There are thousands of threads on here to deal with these issues your self.
I was lucky. There was a receipt for 700 quid from Seat who had done the door seals on mine.
Decent tyres will be 500. +
Recon the wheels if needed 200quid
Refurbishing Brembos is easy but still 50 yuid in paints and logos etc
Sadly you'll never get your money back on your investment I'd be looking a over 8500 to claw back what I've put in but it's modded up and mapped etc.
I only wish I'd get some of it back. Then I'd consider selling and doing another.
I've prattled on too long now. Hope it helps. Good luck with the hunt.
My readers ride has most of the stuff I have laid out here if needed.
I'll end by saying that 7 grand is way too much even for 30k I'd expect brand new everything on there to even consider that kind of price.
My advice would be buy one with about 50 on it and drop a grand or two making it perfect if you want to spend that kind of money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.