Personal leasing - some daft questions

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
I’ve never leased before but am considering it for my next Leon. There’s a couple of things I’m not sure about though.

1. When you’re coming to the end of a lease, how do you switch into a new one without either having 2 cars or no car for a period of time?

2. Is insurance harder to get or price affected since you’re not the owner or registered keeper of the car?

Cheers!

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
For number one, whoever you're getting the lease off should be able to meet a specific delivery date, within reason. They will just keep hold of the car till you need it. Obviously you have to be looking for cars at the right time as well. If you leave it too late you might be screwed.

On the second one, it doesn't affect insurance at all from my experience. They do ask but no one has refused to offer a quote or even given a higher quote.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
For number one, whoever you're getting the lease off should be able to meet a specific delivery date, within reason. They will just keep hold of the car till you need it. Obviously you have to be looking for cars at the right time as well. If you leave it too late you might be screwed.

On the second one, it doesn't affect insurance at all from my experience. They do ask but no one has refused to offer a quote or even given a higher quote.

Cheers.

And question 3 is what are the recommended leasing websites for the best deals?

So far I've been lookingat the Whatcar leasing website and another called contracthireandleasing.com

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Try parkers website they are mainly brokers on there, what car will be mainly dealers. But when you do get a price you like start ringing everyone and play one against the other.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
I’ve never leased before but am considering it for my next Leon. There’s a couple of things I’m not sure about though.

1. When you’re coming to the end of a lease, how do you switch into a new one without either having 2 cars or no car for a period of time?

2. Is insurance harder to get or price affected since you’re not the owner or registered keeper of the car?

Cheers!

1. Usually start looking and ordering 3 months before your deal runs out just in case it's a new build which can take up to 12 weeks if it arrives before this date they will hold it for you until your ready. Unless your unlucky some people on the Leon's have had to wait longer.

2. No difference regarding insurance just make sure you take the option of not being the registered keeper or owner

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi,
You shouldn't have any issues with insurance. If you do need any help though then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

Cheers!

1) depends who the lease is with I guess. With VW finance they offered me an initial 3 months extension of the current lease. Once an order was placed for a new car with them they extended the lease until the new car arrives.

Currently I'm looking at a 5 -6 month extension.

2) I used a comparison site and ended up with esure for a 280. Combined with the built in seat ensurance this has been really good. I've had to use it too during my lease period. Had a courtesy for over 2 months and it was a like for like service. Gap insurance is recommended on a lease too.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
1. Usually start looking and ordering 3 months before your deal runs out just in case it's a new build which can take up to 12 weeks if it arrives before this date they will hold it for you until your ready. Unless your unlucky some people on the Leon's have had to wait longer.

2. No difference regarding insurance just make sure you take the option of not being the registered keeper or owner

That's right, saying that...my Leon was due to go back (end of PCP) 1st/2nd week Nov 2016 so I placed a lease order with for a Seat Ibiza FR in mid-end Aug 2016 (almost went for Polo GTI, but no Sat Nav, no Cruise Control, no upgraded Sound system, and no customisation), giving enough time (not having a car a week or two no biggie), car ended up arriving in 2nd week of Dec. I was expecting it mid-end Nov. Apparently this was due to Alor Blue paint (they pulled it from catalogues). Or so they say. At least they had this 1 yr free insurance thing running at the time.

Insurance wise...I didn't see any difference now that I'm in the process of getting my own insurance after the free one, just select 'personal lease' on questions like are you owner / registered keeper.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Anyone ever leased from a company called Plan?

https://www.planyourcar.com/

Looking for any recommendations or horror stories! They seem to have a good rep on Trustpilot but I'm always wary of online reviews, especially when there's a vast majority of extremely positive ones!

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Would any non-Cupra drivers like to post in here of any recent deals they have found/taken?

The deal I'm currently looking at is on an FR (125) with added metallic paint and 18" alloyss.

It's 24 months, 8k miles, £1040 up front then £154 p.m.

DaveHowe

Dave
Sep 15, 2017
I got a leon cupra 300 ST from Pulman Seat in Sunderland - £243 + £180 admin fee then 23 x £243. I would check with some dealers to see what they have offer wise. This is based on 8000 miles. Great car - love it

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
Gap insurance is recommended on a lease too.
Why? If the car was written off, then it's valuation by the insurance company and lease company should surely be the same - using similar valuation tables? No loan to purchase has been made, so there is no 'gap' between write off value and outstanding loan? I don't understand what 'gap' the Gap Insurance is covering. Anyone know if this is really needed?

Last edited:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Why? If the car was written off, then it's valuation by the insurance company and lease company should surely be the same - using similar valuation tables? No loan to purchase has been made, so there is no 'gap' between write off value and outstanding loan? I don't understand what 'gap' the Gap Insurance is covering. Anyone know if this is really needed?

Usually recommended for first year when the car depreciates the most and the value of the car is less that's owed on the lease.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

Yeah as said previously it's to cover the depreciation at least in the first year.

My car was almost written off after 22 months of my 24 month agreement.

When I took the deal the car was £29995. When the valuation was done after the accident it was worth £20000 tops (due to mileage and spec)
Luckily for me it was towards the end of the lease. I would have been responsible for any short fall.

In the end I was able to get it repaired so I could keep the vehicle until my next PCH car arrives.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.