Cupra 290 to Hyundai i30 N. Mad?

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Hi all,

So today I saw my local Hyundai dealer had an i30 N outside. I've read a lot of good things about them and had an hour or two to waste so went for a poke about. First impressions are good and I'm going back next week for a drive and look at figures (they wouldn't let me drive it today as they just received it that morning).

I currently have a 17 plate 290 ST Black Edition that I've only had since June. On the whole I'm pleased with it however a few things have led me to the Hyundai.

1. I don't need the estate. To be honest I never did but I prefer the looks to the 3/5 doors. The Hyundai has a nice squat stance, reminiscent of an A45 in fact.

2. Driving position. I've posted a few times before about hating the high seating position and as good as the buckets are I've just never quite got on with them. The first thing I checked in the N was the seat and my god it's so good to sit properly and not brush the roof!

3. Build quality. I've already had it to the dealer for warranty work on the engine, the seats are starting to crack and split, the headlights fog up and the dreaded squeaks and rattles are starting to appear. I'm not suggesting the Hyundai will be a Rolls Royce but there is no denying they certainly seem to have upped their game. I will concede that the dash was a bit plasticy in places and not as aesthetically pleasing as the Leon though.

4. I don't find the Leon very fun in a childish sort of way. Yes it's spectacularly capable but I can barely hear the exhaust and it just doesn't look that aggressive. Plus i miss having a manual, which is my own fault for getting DSG I guess. The N looks great in the flesh. It has the splitters, skirts and spoilers but it's not as brash as a Civic. And even just sat on the forecourt the exhaust popped and banged much to my delight. It's a valved system too so can be quietened down if needed.

So thanks for reading, I would be very interested to hear peoples thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

BB

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Funny thing I've just been reading about these on Pistonheads, Gabriele Tarquini was involved in the TCR development so I bet he was involved in the car development, be interesting to see how its set up compared to Jordi Gene's set up on the Cupra.

Youtube'd a few vids and they do sound nice with the performance pack (275bhp), the exhaust crackle is possible to get on the Cupra with mapping though. My initial thoughts are the exhaust system only has one box (probably a large back box) as its quite raw.

If my local dealer has one in going to see if they will lend it me for an hour or so.

I also suspect these won't crop up on cheap lease deals.

Last edited:

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Funny thing I've just been reading about these on Pistonheads, Gabriele Tarquini was involved in the TCR development so I bet he was involved in the car development, be interesting to see how its set up compared to Jordi Gene's set up on the Cupra.

Youtube'd a few vids and they do sound nice with the performance pack (275bhp), the exhaust crackle is possible to get on the Cupra with mapping though. My initial thoughts are the exhaust system only has one box (probably a large back box) as its quite raw.

If my local dealer has one in going to see if they will lend it me for an hour or so.

I also suspect these won't crop up on cheap lease deals.
It certainly seems like it's been designed solely for driving enjoyment. I guess the test drive will be the decider. With the performance pack its only 10 horses down on the Cupra and .2 slower to 60 which will just be the manual box. It will most likely be lighter on its feet than my ST in the twisties.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I reckon one of these will be quite tuneable as well, would need to work with a experience mapper but it could be done.

The TCR car does look mean.

Deleted member 103408

Go for it, you don't seem to be enjoying the Cupra anymore so time for a change.

They do look very nice I have to say.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hi all,

So today I saw my local Hyundai dealer had an i30 N outside. I've read a lot of good things about them and had an hour or two to waste so went for a poke about. First impressions are good and I'm going back next week for a drive and look at figures (they wouldn't let me drive it today as they just received it that morning).

I currently have a 17 plate 290 ST Black Edition that I've only had since June. On the whole I'm pleased with it however a few things have led me to the Hyundai.

1. I don't need the estate. To be honest I never did but I prefer the looks to the 3/5 doors. The Hyundai has a nice squat stance, reminiscent of an A45 in fact.

2. Driving position. I've posted a few times before about hating the high seating position and as good as the buckets are I've just never quite got on with them. The first thing I checked in the N was the seat and my god it's so good to sit properly and not brush the roof!

3. Build quality. I've already had it to the dealer for warranty work on the engine, the seats are starting to crack and split, the headlights fog up and the dreaded squeaks and rattles are starting to appear. I'm not suggesting the Hyundai will be a Rolls Royce but there is no denying they certainly seem to have upped their game. I will concede that the dash was a bit plasticy in places and not as aesthetically pleasing as the Leon though.

4. I don't find the Leon very fun in a childish sort of way. Yes it's spectacularly capable but I can barely hear the exhaust and it just doesn't look that aggressive. Plus i miss having a manual, which is my own fault for getting DSG I guess. The N looks great in the flesh. It has the splitters, skirts and spoilers but it's not as brash as a Civic. And even just sat on the forecourt the exhaust popped and banged much to my delight. It's a valved system too so can be quietened down if needed.

So thanks for reading, I would be very interested to hear peoples thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

BB

I was lucky enough to have a go in one :thumbup:

Interior was nice and the sound was much better and it looked more purposeful. Actually managed pops from the manual - I am coming from a quiet 280 though.

The snob in me was the issue, but ironically I said that about seat years ago. I did the same with a Kia proceed GT years ago too.

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
I think the new Hyundai i30n is mint.
reminds me of a 1 series a little looking at the rear of the car.

Last edited:

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Go for it, you don't seem to be enjoying the Cupra anymore so time for a change.

They do look very nice I have to say.
It's not that I don't like the Cupra anymore - it's still a great car and I could happily keep it but the little niggles I have with it all seem to be solved with the N. Drive and money will decide I think.

Much cheaper on insurance too!

300SEATCUPRA

Dec 7, 2017
Definitely not mad. I'd love one!! I think they look great. If the silly cheap lease deal on the 300 didn't come up I would've definitely enquired. Although I do wonder how much all of the good reviews is hype around something new. It happened with the focus RS which has now fallen out of favour a little and the Civic is the new best thing.. The i30 N is definitely in favour with reviewers at the moment. Looking forward to a proper group test against its rivals though which must be on the cards shortly..

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
It might be a decent car...
For some reason when i sat in on one, i was not feeling it at all...looks messy inside,
maybe i am so used to vag cars and their logic, I30N looked just like some cheap chinese product.

Why not have a look at new Megane RS...you can have it as a manual

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
It might be a decent car...
For some reason when i sat in on one, i was not feeling it at all...looks messy inside,
maybe i am so used to vag cars and their logic, I30N looked just like some cheap chinese product.

Why not have a look at new Megane RS...you can have it as a manual
I agree about the interior, there's no denying it's not as good to look at or to touch as the Leon.

Never been interested in the Megane since I drove the 250 model a few years back. Same issue as above really, just not impressed with the interior - felt cheap. Did have a look at a couple of reviews after you mentioned it and sounds pretty decent although a 1.8...!

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Old Megane did not impress me neither, but this new surprised me and i only drove the warm hatch version
Renault Sport GT 205bhp 1.6 EDC.
New RS should have 300hp in a Trophy version if you fancy a track weapon,
but i am sure that basic RS will give good run for the money also.

As for Hyuouindai or what ever...they might be ok cars, but they just lacks the pedigree.
You will always have to tell people why the hell you have bought one and still many of then does not understand and that has to show on resale value also.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Old Megane did not impress me neither, but this new surprised me and i only drove the warm hatch version
Renault Sport GT 205bhp 1.6 EDC.
New RS should have 300hp in a Trophy version if you fancy a track weapon,
but i am sure that basic RS will give good run for the money also.

As for Hyuouindai or what ever...they might be ok cars, but they just lacks the pedigree.
You will always have to tell people why the hell you have bought one and still many of then does not understand and that has to show on resale value also.

I get what you mean. Even talking to the salesman I felt myself having to justify why I was interested.

And as for resale I think for precisely the above reason, they won't sell in big numbers and only to 'car people' so to speak. All the others will head straight for the Golfs, Audi's and Hondas as the big players so as long as the car is actually as good as the hype it should do ok if just a small market. Or it could flop and be worth 3k in 3 years!

I think it's a case of that great British trait of rooting for the underdog.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
It looks nice outside for me, a bit tacky inside I'm not a fan of those stuck on almost like they forgot about it and tacked it on after screens. From the reviews I've read it drives well but is down on power and pace a small amount.
I'd have one if it drove significantly better than the competition, badge doesn't matter to me.

But heres the rub. My Cupra 280 lease ends in May and I'm in the market for this and would of considered it but the lease prices on low spec i30 are very expensive, I've searched and found that you'll get a 6+23 term with 10k miles for £300 a month with £1800 deposit on a 1.4T GDI SE Nav (140bhp). Way more than you'd pay for a Cupra 300. So how much a month is the N going to be? Based on the lease of the lesser version it's not going to be competitive with Cupra deals. The Cupra is a 6 month wait so I've had to place the order, can't wait to see if they do some good deals on the i30N, which is a shame as I don't mind a change.

So basically the deal breaker for me is the is the likely cost and the fact they don't do 3 door. Although I think when they do Mk4 Leon the chance of 3 door versions is very low. Hence I've gone for a 3 door Cupra 300, maybe my last ever hot hatch 3 door, RIP the 3 door :cry:

Last edited:

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
It looks nice outside for me, a bit tacky inside I'm not a fan of those stuck on almost like they forgot about it and tacked it on after screens. From the reviews I've read it drives well but is down on power and pace a small amount.
I'd have one if it drove significantly better than the competition, badge doesn't matter to me.

But heres the rub. My Cupra 280 lease ends in May and I'm in the market for this and would of considered it but the lease prices on low spec i30 are very expensive, I've searched and found that you'll get a 6+23 term with 10k miles for £300 a month with £1800 deposit on a 1.4T GDI SE Nav (140bhp). Way more than you'd pay for a Cupra 300. So how much a month is the N going to be? Based on the lease of the lesser version it's not going to be competitive with Cupra deals. The Cupra is a 6 month wait so I've had to place the order, can't wait to see if they do some good deals on the i30N, which is a shame as I don't mind a change.

So basically the deal breaker for me is the is the likely cost and the fact they don't do 3 door. Although I think when they do Mk4 Leon the chance of 3 door versions is very low. Hence I've gone for a 3 door Cupra 300, maybe my last ever hot hatch 3 door, RIP the 3 door :cry:
Price wise initial figures by the dealer were exactly the same monthly as my 290 with no deposit. So essentially a straight swap car for car and monthly stays the same. They couldn't give me exact figures as it's pre-launch and they didn't yet have a final value to base the PCP on although this could all have been nonsense of course just to get me back for the test drive.

I've already decided I won't put anything towards it so if it's not a straight swap then it's not happening. The 290 is still a fantastic car and I don't need to change, just scratching an itch.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

I think the inside of the Leon is very dull and less premium looking.
I was was ok with it in the 280 , but we're now on the 300.
The center console where the screen is needs an update to bring it in line with the rest of the VAG group.
Like glass or gloss black around the screen. Even the Ibiza and the Octavia have a better looking center console imho

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I think the inside of the Leon is very dull and less premium looking.
I was was ok with it in the 280 , but we're now on the 300.
The center console where the screen is needs an update to bring it in line with the rest of the VAG group.
Like glass or gloss black around the screen. Even the Ibiza and the Octavia have a better looking center console imho

I agree the Leon is a bit dull inside but for me it's perfectly functional so I can live with that as the cost is so cheap for the car. I'm not prepared to pay £100 a month more for some soft touch plastic and fancy trim inside.
Let's wait and see what the lease deals come out at for the N... like I posted earlier the Base spec 1.4 is currently more than a Cupra. However Christmas is close and miracles may happen for N lease deals, we'll see [B)]

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I've had two Hyundai Tiburons, OK cars. Fairly reliable, but not bulletproof. I also drove a couple of Sonata cabs, 3 of which in the fleet ran cam bearings. I'd hope the newer cars are better developed.
But an I30N wouldn't be my choice as they're likely to be high $50K or more here, and don't have a DCT.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
My local dealer has got the 275 in stock going to go take a look and have a go this week sometime.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise