Cupra 300 nightmare in the snow

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Hi All,
After having our first drop of snow in the Midlands I've learnt my lesson that its a total waste of time even trying in the Cupra.
The slightest gradient with a bit of snow on with the engine decreasing power with the slightest bit of wheel spin.

I was surprised with this expecting the car with high torque to just ride the clutch and let it go but when some village idiot is coming down the hill and doesn't give way and makes you stop half way up the hill forget it the engine just shuts down the power.

Is there a way of getting around this like switching the traction control off or is it all linked to the turbo switching off the fuel ?????

Last edited:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Maybe worth considering getting some winter tyres?

Hi Yes that would help but I cant warrant spending £350 on a set of winter tyres for 2days worth of snow.
Just learnt its left on the drive in future and its the Mrs car to be used in them conditions

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Try switch off the traction, but the wheels will spin and it will be worse.
Better buy some winter tyres...

Yes but I thought it was with the wheels spinning and the traction control on that then sends the signal to cut the engines power.
I will have another go down our road with the traction control off I expect the wheels to still spin but not to cut the power to the engine.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I got stuck in snow in the Ibiza due to the traction control - it was cutting the power at the moment I wanted it.

Switched it off and I was able to get going again.

Not had a chance to try the Leon's performance in snow yet, although with 225 summer tyres I doubt its going to be good.

campbell_p30

Feb 20, 2003
Belfast
Visit site
Yes but I thought it was with the wheels spinning and the traction control on that then sends the signal to cut the engines power.
I will have another go down our road with the traction control off I expect the wheels to still spin but not to cut the power to the engine.
Switch traction control off for snow (long press of traction control button).
As you say with it switched on power will be reduced until wheels are no longer spinning causing you to stop half way up a hill.
With it off start in 2nd gear and the tyres will spin but rather than cutting power the tyres will try on dig into the snow for a bit of grip. I don't mean foot down and spin like crazy, just try and balance it to keep momentum going.
On ice though, no one has a hope without winter/studded tyres!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Switch traction control off for snow (long press of traction control button).
As you say with it switched on power will be reduced until wheels are no longer spinning causing you to stop half way up a hill.
With it off start in 2nd gear and the tyres will spin but rather than cutting power the tyres will try on dig into the snow for a bit of grip. I don't mean foot down and spin like crazy, just try and balance it to keep momentum going.
On ice though, no one has a hope without winter/studded tyres!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes Mate will try it with the traction control off in future, like I said the car as plenty of torque and riding the clutch was working fine until some knob coming down the hill decided to keep going rather than let me up it !!!!!
Then from a standing start it was no chance even trying to pull away in 3rd it wasn't having it just cut the engine when you needed a bit of grunt

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
6am Sunday, untreated road, 3-4inch of snow. 420ps + summer tyres.

I got home now issues at all.

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
I had my first snowy outing with the Cupra today and was very pleasantly surprised.
I do have winter tyres which no doubt helps.
Don’t want to take a close look at my front splitter though as lots of noise from it as it ploughed through the peaks in the snow and ice.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
6am Sunday, untreated road, 3-4inch of snow. 420ps + summer tyres.

I got home now issues at all.

It all depends as I learnt tonight. Sack all chance of getting up our road with summer tyres (and that's after spending two hours digging out our drive). Even with three people pushing, no throttle all, I could get out of the car and just watch the front wheels gently spinning

Luckily I had ordered some snow socks, threw those on and snow / ice offers no issues. It may have changed my mind about not using winter tyres anymore, I will get a couple of spare wheels a throw some winters on before next year, it only takes a few minutes to swap wheels if it gets snowy. :)

Last edited:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
It all depends as I learnt tonight. Sack all chance of getting up our road with summer tyres (and that's after spending two hours digging out our drive). Even with three people pushing, no throttle all, I could get out of the car and just watch the front wheels gently spinning

Luckily I had ordered some snow socks, threw those on and snow / ice offers no issues. It may have changed my mind about not using winter tyres anymore, I will get a couple of spare wheels a throw some winters on before next year, it only takes a few minutes to swap wheels if it gets snowy. :)

Yes I thinks that's the answer fork out for winter tyres for 2 weeks of the year or leave it at home same problem no throttle loss of power.
How much are the snow socks ??

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Yes I thinks that's the answer fork out for winter tyres for 2 weeks of the year or leave it at home same problem no throttle loss of power.
How much are the snow socks ??

The snow socks were £39, ace grip but they need to be used on snow or I guess longevity will be minimal, they only take a minute to put on or take off though.

Winter tyres are probably a good idea, just need a few cheap wheels.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yes Mate will try it with the traction control off in future, like I said the car as plenty of torque and riding the clutch was working fine until some knob coming down the hill decided to keep going rather than let me up it !!!!!
Then from a standing start it was no chance even trying to pull away in 3rd it wasn't having it just cut the engine when you needed a bit of grunt

Maybe the knob coming down the hill, couldn't really stop....have you tried snow socks in this instance, a lot cheaper than full winter tyres. Or maybe invest in Crossclimates / Vector 4Seasons. Another Cupra owner had them, and posted a video of him running around in snow.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Maybe the knob coming down the hill, couldn't really stop....have you tried snow socks in this instance, a lot cheaper than full winter tyres. Or maybe invest in Crossclimates / Vector 4Seasons. Another Cupra owner had them, and posted a video of him running around in snow.

Yes the knob had plenty of room to pull over and was more interested with her telephone conversation.
Yes looking into the snow socks with the car being on lease doesn't warrant the winter tyres I gather the snow socks are universal for any car