Dtuk box on a 2.0tdi 184 good idea or not?

Danielward184

Dec 13, 2017
Just got my Leon FR 184tdi and want to no off normal owners not just what dtuk say some say they’ve had low speed juddering and many other issues is this a rare thing or more often than not please help with your experiences before I order one

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Sheer pleasure. Transforms the car and, for me, no change in the mpg.

You will read that individual cars seem to run on different settings. I tend to stick to 2.2 and only hit ‘judder’ etc. if I go for x.3. Others will have different settings.

A great investment.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Just got my Leon FR 184tdi and want to no off normal owners not just what dtuk say some say they’ve had low speed juddering and many other issues is this a rare thing or more often than not please help with your experiences before I order one

Got one on my GTD. Just don't expect Cupra performance, because it isn't even close.

Danielward184

Dec 13, 2017
Sheer pleasure. Transforms the car and, for me, no change in the mpg.

You will read that individual cars seem to run on different settings. I tend to stick to 2.2 and only hit ‘judder’ etc. if I go for x.3. Others will have different settings.

A great investment.
So you would recommend it on that setting then?

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
I wouldn’t recommend a particular setting because, as I mentioned, each car seems to be different. Trial and error will find the one that is right for you. I would begin the process with 1.1, 2.1 and 3.1 and get a feel for which you prefer; I suggest this because the x.1 settings seem to be stable for most people. Say it is 3.1. You can then try 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 and see which works for you and your car. Hope that makes sense.

Danielward184

Dec 13, 2017
I wouldn’t recommend a particular setting because, as I mentioned, each car seems to be different. Trial and error will find the one that is right for you. I would begin the process with 1.1, 2.1 and 3.1 and get a feel for which you prefer; I suggest this because the x.1 settings seem to be stable for most people. Say it is 3.1. You can then try 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 and see which works for you and your car. Hope that makes sense.

Yeah that helps a lot thanks mate certainly more information than dtuk will say

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
DTUK wont suggest a setting as they know all cars are different in terms of stock power output and torque delivery. They will probs tell you to try all all 3 programs on zero first and then increase to +1 etc.

The reason for this is that depending on the stock figure of your particular car it might run better on the lower settings and turning it up too far you may see an EML or flashing coil light which means you have turned it up further than the car would like you to

Danielward184

Dec 13, 2017
DTUK wont suggest a setting as they know all cars are different in terms of stock power output and torque delivery. They will probs tell you to try all all 3 programs on zero first and then increase to +1 etc.

The reason for this is that depending on the stock figure of your particular car it might run better on the lower settings and turning it up too far you may see an EML or flashing coil light which means you have turned it up further than the car would like you to

They don’t even say that all they say to me is there’s NO problem with the box on any setting and seem quite rude the way they say that but aslong as it does work on some settings and is a bit quicker that’s fine by me

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
I've had a Leon 184ps auto, with the DTUk box.
It completly transformed the car!
I did however experience some "low speed judder" in some settings, however i just changed the settings and the judder went away.
If i remember correctly i do think it was the setting for "high boost on low RPM" that caused the judder.
The box did not change the MPG to worse, however i do belive it might have improved the MPG by just a tad.

Some people bash these tuning boxes because of many reasons, one is claiming that they do not improve the actual performance of the car, which i call bullshit on..
My current car is a Leon Cupra 290ps and before that i had a BMW M135, both fitted with a "JB4" which is also a tuning box. The Bmw M135 i spent some time with and it was a complete beast after about 1-2months of tuning and adjusting, slaughtering cars that were putting out aroun 450-500ps (320ps in my car stock..).
With my current Cupra 290ps i have not been able to produce a custom map in the tuning box, yet..
However when spring arrives i will surely do it..

If you do not like the idea of flashing your ECU and are therefore looking to go the "tuning box"-route, go ahead!
In total ive done about 30000-40000miles with 4 differens cars, wheres 3 of them had DTUK-boxes.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
One thing I've always wondered with these tuning boxes is, are the Eco, Sport Driving modes still effective?

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
The in car modes work as normal with a box fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Just to add to the mix...
Check out TDI Tuning as well. Basically the same type of device but I tried both and the TDI Tuning box worked better on my car.
Either way, these things do work very well.
I ended up with a Bluefin remap in the end, so there’s another option if you out of warranty period!

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Danielward184

Dec 13, 2017
The cars still got 3 years warranty or it would be a remap I did have a thought tho would buying a new Ecu and mapping that be a good idea then plugging the original unmapped ecu in for services ect be another option take in mind I’m not very good with wires

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
It would cost you a fortune for a second ecu and then you would have to get it mapped on top of the initial purchase cost.

Danielward184

Dec 13, 2017
Oh fair enough what bhp do you think the dti/dtuk box makes the car as I expect the 240ps is the box on the highest setting which causes low speed juddering

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
My 14 plate vrs octy 184 did 241 and 500 and odd nm on the dyno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Oh fair enough what bhp do you think the dti/dtuk box makes the car as I expect the 240ps is the box on the highest setting which causes low speed juddering

From what I understand - all three profiles will give the 240.

The difference is how soon you want it to boost over standard.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members