Any way to improve MPG on MK2 FR TFSI?

tom57

Tom Nicholls
Dec 20, 2017
Manchester
Hi,

Just running some stats through with you guys,

I drive a MK2 Leon FR TFSI (Petrol/ 2008)

Currently get around 28mpg on my 15 mile journey to work, I don't usually hit traffic.

When on my way home (same journey) I get stuck in traffic and average around 24mpg.

I've been told to expect this kind of MPG, but was curious as to whether anyone has found any tips and tricks to boost this?

The car is completely stock.

Cheers,
Tom

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I think realistically the only option you have is to drive like a grandad. Doubt there is much that can be done aside from general servicing etc.

I've found my derv to be a little worse on mpg in these colder months not sure if that's a factor.

Don't think the tfsi is the most frugal of engines tbh but then you do see the cupra guys claiming over 30mpg at times, not sure if this is on the newer models tho?

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

tom57

Tom Nicholls
Dec 20, 2017
Manchester
Yeah I have seen people with mk2 leons and cupras showing off their mpg as high as 50mpg, don't know whether a serious remap would be in order for that but to me that is literally impossible haha.

Even getting the mpg up to 35 would be amazing for me as I currently spend about £60 per week on fuel!!

Don't get me wrong I'm not moaning because I absolutely love my leon, just wanted to know if there was anyway of making it a touch more efficient haha

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
IMO, i don't think a remap would help with you MPG. It'll make the car perform better and you won't be able to keep your foot from sinking the accelerator. On your car I think you'll get to about 260bhp (ish) so you'll be getting plenty of smiles and less miles.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah I have seen people with mk2 leons and cupras showing off their mpg as high as 50mpg

Not mine. Got 25mpg today which was pretty good. That was 60mph country road with no traffic, 5th and 6th gear.

RobFR

Nov 23, 2012
Northumberland
I have managed 40mpg, but this was in the summer doing 60 mph all the way and was sooooo boring. Driving round town on these colder days, I'm only getting 20 to 22 mpg.

And now just found misfire on cylinder 4. Just what I want before Christmas.

Last edited:

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
I have a tfsi engine Cupra 240. I do 50 miles a day on the motorway usually at 60 (variable speed limit new eco rush hour rules!?!) I get about 32 every day and hit no major traffic and sit on cruise control.

If I give it the beans, this drops off massively but it's fun!

I did a 300 mile run last week early hours, no traffic and still got around 32. I think it's the best your going to get with a 2.0tfsi lump.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

toot

Jan 14, 2010
Kalmar, Sweden
35mpg (500km on 40L) last time i checked in my "old" Cupra R with mixed driving. But this is also with winter tyres that are slightly smaller, 225 instead of 235. So I think the smaller width tyres are helping me some.

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Had my 2008 since new and average 31mpg over all. Have occasionally seen 38mpg on a motorway run (50 miles or so) sticking to 60ish as above soon as you give it the beans drops dramatically and round town drops to low 20s.

Can get a little better MPG if turn off cruise.

Last edited:

grafton

Nov 29, 2017
Horwich
yep, if your very sensible 32mpg (35mpg max - 2,000 max rpm at all times)

mostly 25mpg but that is still quite restrained driving

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I have the TSI which has slightly better MPG on paper.

2-3 mile journey to work I can get 30mpg if I just feather throttle, If I boot it or even just get the turbo going once or twice I get 24-26.

Best I've seen on a 2 hour motorway slog is about 38.

My oil dipstick completely empties every 2-3k miles as well.

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
I have a PFL Leon Cupra with a Stage 1 Revo map and from Glasgow to Aberdeen (135-140 miles) I can get an average of 32 mpg sitting at 70 (GPS speed). I have had 35 mpg average on a few occasions but this took a lot of effort.

Another journey I do often is 105 miles on A-roads in Argyll and I usually average 30-32 mpg as I often have to overtake on that road.

City driving in and around Glasgow usually yields about 20-26 mpg on average.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.