Cupra 300 Spec help

Chippo

Jan 2, 2008
Cardiff, WALES
Looking to get 2 yr lease on Cupra 300 in metallic grey.

Finding it difficult to spec with so many options.

As standard car has cruise control is adaptive worth the extra?

What packs would you go for?

Is Kessy any good, worth it?

Want full connect with phone, will this work with standard sat nav with virtual cockpit or would you up spec to Sat Hi?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bestseany

Jun 30, 2017
If adaptive cruise is cheap enough then I’d definitely get that. My mate has it on Golf R and it’s pretty useful.

Works best on a DSG though.

I wouldn’t get KESSY personally because of the security risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsj20v

Dec 6, 2007
hampshire
As above , wouldn't go Kessy or acc (but I don't do many mway miles) I got seat sound and camera pack on mine as they are already well specced compared to golfR

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I'm with the others ref. Kessy, why would you pay extra for reduced security?

ACC is good, I had it on the golf GTD but I only used it twice in 2 years. Depends on where you drive but worth having if you do a lot of motorway and dual/c driving.

Winter pack is worth having too for the heated seats.

The only downside on lease is you have to pay in full for the options over the term, only having a car 2 years can quickly bump up the monthly costs if you get carried away ;) I got free metallic paint on the 300 I've ordered, not sure if they are doing that now but worth checking as metallic paint over 2 years puts it up by about £20 a month.

Upthere

Jul 10, 2017
I chose the ACC but in reality I've only used it once so far, probably shouldve saved the money on that, but I did use it on my previous golf GTD. I miss KESSY as I did not spec that on the cupra, but maybe a good thing now with the security risks. In all honesty I think I could've gone for a completely stock car seeing as its only for 2 years. I chose DSG to see what all the fuss was about, and I'm not seeing it if im honest, next car will be back to a manual.

As above though, many options will depend on personal preference and where/how you drive.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
As standard car has cruise control is adaptive worth the extra?

Depends on your requirements, it's relatively inexpensive.
If you do lots of motorway driving then "yes".
If you have opted for the auto it can be useful in traffic too.
If it's just because you can then probably not.

What packs would you go for?

Winter pack - well worth the extra imho for obvious reasons.

Seat sound pack -If you like your music, especially as it also adds the spare wheel.

Camera pack - relatively inexpensive too, but not essential as the park pilot/sensors is more than useful.

Nav high - until recently I didn't see the benefit. This adds 3D buildings in the Maps, DVD player, additional storage & connectivity (Inc WiFi) and will come with Seat sound and and the spare wheel.

To be confirmed, but it looks as though this may be required for Alexa integration (free) and have separate maps on the centre console and Digital cockpit.

I also opted for the sunroof but this was more for stying reasons than anything else.

Is Kessy any good, worth it?

Looks very convenient, but I don't know enough about the security to comment. I chose not to spec it for that reason.

Want full connect with phone, will this work with standard sat nav with virtual cockpit or would you up spec to Sat Hi?
Full/mirror link is standard (in the UK). Maps will work on main display. There are no plans at this time to integrate mapping from mobile devices with the digital cockpit. Media will show up in the digital cockpit from your phone/tablet.

My deposit went up considerably from the original £249 as I spec'd up my Cupra with options. I found that the option pricing doesn't necessarily correlate with how much they charge on the lease either as it would with PCP.

This was with VW finance

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
The only downside on lease is you have to pay in full for the options over the term, only having a car 2 years can quickly bump up the monthly costs if you get carried away ;)

Completely agree. I got carried away, even spec'd side skirts.
To keep my monthly cost the same I opted for a larger deposit.

Strange enough I'm putting down similar to what I put down on my current lease which was a 280 with a black pack (no other options). I got so much more this time around. The deal's are extremely good on the CUPRA 300.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
ACC is good in traffic. We don't get heavy traffic where I live, but will need it when we move. We clearly don't have the theft problems you have, I've had a version of Kessy on my Toyota for 5 years without a problem, I wouldn't do without it. All that effort finding the remote and pushing a button.
SEAT sound is excellent. Sunroof is also a must at our pricing. Initially I wanted a manual box, having had the DSG now, I don't miss shifting gears - much.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
This isn't a dig at leasing, I myself jumped on the cupra 290 Black edition for £131 a month last year, but why spec up a lease car with expensive options like Nav high etc when you've got no option of keeping it at the end, just put a couple of cheap ones on it like ACC and seat sound and leave it at that

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
This isn't a dig at leasing, I myself jumped on the cupra 290 Black edition for £131 a month last year, but why spec up a lease car with expensive options like Nav high etc when you've got no option of keeping it at the end, just put a couple of cheap ones on it like ACC and seat sound and leave it at that

To answer your questions mate :)

For me it was simply because it was within my budget. If I'd have chosen a better car such as an R or S3 I'd have gone without. The options actually make up for the fact that I've got for the lesser car (IMHO). It still works out cheaper than the other two cars I mentioned.

I've been burnt on the 2nd hand market, and prefer knowing most of the costs upfront and obviously the warranty. Wouldn't have as many toys on a 2nd hand car after all the the issues I've had in the past.

Being able to change every couple of years and get all the shiny new tech fits into my lifestyle right now.

Originally PCP was my first choice but it didn't seem to make sense on the types of cars I was interested in & the deposit required was alot higher. Shaping up to be the next PPI too.

Finally, you do get the option to buy on the lease with VWFS through a broker, I received a letter a couple of months ago regarding that option. I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it though.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
I think it’s all down to do you need the extras, TBH the cupra comes standard very well equipped sat nav, rear front parking sensors, cruise control, climate control. So it’s totally down to you if you will use extra than this.

At the moment I’ve used the cruise control x1 on a holiday to Devon so TBH can’t see the benefit in upgrading unless your motorway driving regular.

Sat nav as standard is more than adequate to get you from A-B without the 3D maps of buildings.

If you have money to burn go ahead and have the lot but the end of the day it’s down to you If you use them.

Personally I had the car for its performance and fun factor. if I wanted all the creature comforts I would of gone for a Beamer or Audi and wore my flat cap and slippers.

End of the day it’s a hot hatch.

Last edited:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
To answer your questions

For me it was simply because it was within my budget. If I'd have chosen a better car such as an R or S3 I'd have gone without. The options actually make up for the fact that I've got for the lesser car (IMHO). It still works out cheaper than the other two cars I mentioned.

I've been burnt on the 2nd hand market, and prefer knowing most of the costs upfront and obviously the warranty. Wouldn't have as many toys on a 2nd hand car after all the the issues I've had in the past.

Being able to change every couple of years and get all the shiny new tech fits into my lifestyle right now.

Originally PCP was my first choice but it didn't seem to make sense on the types of cars I was interested in & the deposit required was alot higher. Shaping up to be the next PPI too.

Finally, you do get the option to buy on the lease with VWFS through a broker, I received a letter a couple of months ago regarding that option. I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it though.

Why is the R or the S3 a better car ?????? Is it the badge ??????

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Why is the R or the S3 a better car ?????? Is it the badge ??????

Coming from a 65 plate 280 - which was a huge step up from my MK4 golf and MK2 FR. It certainly is a nice car and I do like the 300 too.

I've tested the mk7 and 7.5 R and had a 16 plate S3 for a couple of months. It wasn't until I drove those cars that I realized the actual difference, it's more than a badge.

For me it was the following

1) cabin design, quality and feel - it's little things that start to add up, such as the lined glove compartment, adjustable cup holders, interior lighting. The center console could do with an update to give it a more premium finish too. The digital cockpit is now available, but even that's smaller in size to the Audi's. The touchscreen is smaller than the golfs.

The option list seems less for the UK Cupras also (although you get a lot more standard kit included)

I've also found my Seat to be very creaky after 6k. The S3 had 16k on and was a courtesy car but it felt solid and would have been less looked after.

2) lack of the haldex/Quattro in SC and 5 door- (which may not be as useful on track but certainly is on our roads)

3) engine note and exhaust sounds (personal preference)

4) sound system B&O specifically

The Cupra is a great car but we know where it's positioned within the VAG group.

Hasn't stopped me from ordering a 300 though :)

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Coming from a 65 plate 280 - which was a huge step up from my MK4 golf and MK2 FR. It certainly is a nice car and I do like the 300 too.

I've tested the mk7 and 7.5 R and had a 16 plate S3 for a couple of months. It wasn't until I drove those cars that I realized the actual difference, it's more than a badge.

1) cabin design, quality and feel - it's little things that start to add up, such as the lined glove compartment, adjustable cup holders, interior lighting. The center console could do with an update to give it a more premium finish too. The digital cockpit is now available, but even that's smaller in size to the Audi's. The touchscreen is smaller than the golfs.

The option list seems less for the UK Cupras also (although you get a lot more standard kit included)

I've also found my Seat to be very creaky after 6k. The S3 had 16k on and was a courtesy car but it felt solid and would have been less looked after.

2) lack of the haldex/Quattro in SC and 5 door- (which may not be as useful on track but certainly is on our roads)

The Cupra is a great car but we know where it's positioned within the VAG group.

Had a test drive in the R and TBH found the interior very bland and also the looks from the outside, yes 4wd makes some difference from starting point but it’s not a patch on the cupra from 60 onwards and also the handling felt spongy on the R compared to the Cupra.
The S3 was out of my budget TBH but is it worth the extra 4K ????

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Had a test drive in the R and TBH found the interior very bland and also the looks from the outside, yes 4wd makes some difference from starting point but it’s not a patch on the cupra from 60 onwards and also the handling felt spongy on the R compared to the Cupra.
The S3 was out of my budget TBH but is it worth the extra 4K ????

Yeah I agree looks are subjective. With regards to the R the center console in the mk7.5 with the 9" screen and glass like finish combined with the cockpit looks spot on.

From the outside they all look understated.

The 4wd is more than 0-62. It gives the confidence to drive the car harder in any other than perfect conditions too. This was only noticed whilst having the S3 for the last couple of months. It's taking some getting used to in the Cupra again with the traction control coming on in 3rd gear on tyres with good tread. I do like the LSD as a close 2nd though.

And "no" it's not worth the extra 4k to me hence the reason I've gone with another Cupra :)

Basically if I could match the spec on each for the same price I wouldn't have the Cupra, but the lease deals make it the best option for me.

Last edited:

Bestseany

Jun 30, 2017
My mate has a facelift R estate and I’ve got a 300 ST. We got them within a month of each other and I’ve driven his for comparison.

The interior does feel higher quality in the R and it does get some extra standard toys such as adaptive cruise, phone app connectivity, virtual cockpit and heated seats.

However, it only has horrible 18” wheels and no adaptive dampers. I think the Cupra scores better in these areas. The R is pretty bland looking too, although it does have a better exhaust sound. The Cupra is too quiet.

The VAG hierarchy of spec does bug me in some areas - especially the lack of puddle lights and how you can see the paint on the top of the door frames when inside the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chippo

Jan 2, 2008
Cardiff, WALES
Nav high - until recently I didn't see the benefit. This adds 3D buildings in the Maps, DVD player, additional storage & connectivity (Inc WiFi) and will come with Seat sound and and the spare wheel

Full/mirror link is standard (in the UK). Maps will work on main display. There are no plans at this time to integrate mapping from mobile devices with the digital cockpit. Media will show up in the digital cockpit from your phone/tablet.

Thanks, So are you saying waze, google maps ETC will not work in conjunction with the VC, and that Nav high comes with Seat sound and wheel or in conjunction with?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Thanks, So are you saying waze, google maps ETC will not work in conjunction with the VC, and that Nav high comes with Seat sound and wheel or in conjunction with?

Mapping through Android Auto or Carplay will not be available in the digital cockpit. You can use it on the main infotainment system.

When you spec the Nav high it requires you to add Seat sound. The sub that comes with the Seat sound pack is designed to sit inside the spare wheel in the boot (if anyone would like to confirm)

Chippo

Jan 2, 2008
Cardiff, WALES
Mapping through Android Auto or Carplay will not be available in the digital cockpit. You can use it on the main infotainment system.

When you spec the Nav high it requires you to add Seat sound. The sub that comes with the Seat sound pack is designed to sit inside the spare wheel in the boot (if anyone would like to confirm)

Thanks again.

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015

I agree that you get what you pay for, but wants to add
The Cupra has DCC for free
The Cupra ST has 4wd
The Cupra can now be ordered with BeatsAudio

The main thing for me regarding the R mk7.5 vs Cupra300 is DSG7 vs DSG6.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise