Is it a clutch problem?

Chudders

May 1, 2017
UK
Evening all.

Just been out and about in the motor, and unfortunately, i've been getting some pretty obvious juddering (Almost like the cars going to stall juddering lol) when the accelerator completely pressed

4th/5th/6th are the most obvious, Ranging from between 1900-2200rpm, it will last for example if I'm in 6th between 72-77mph and then smooth out again but does the same in all gears, only if i'm accelerating with the pedal to the metal as they say...
if i just very slowly creep it up, i can't seem to replicate the judder..

It almost feels like a cross between hitting the road studs and a car that's about to kangaroo and stall...

OBD Shows no fault (Not that it would for clutch I'm guessing)

Last edited:

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Yup, not clutch. EGR valve perhaps.

What you describe is almost like a misfire under load, one that can be 'driven through' - that is, it'll happen, but only in a particular band of engine demand, and either side of that band it's fine. Diesels don't have an electrical ignition though, so it's likely to be either air or fuel related.

EGR gremlins fairly regular on diesels, hopefully the other section sheds a bit of light.

If it's been remapped, can you temporarily 'unmap' it? See if that makes any difference.

Chudders

May 1, 2017
UK
Okay, that's promising - i was thinking more clutch/dmf would need doing lol.

It's going in to get checked over mid-week now, so will comment back with the findings.

Chudders

May 1, 2017
UK
Been to a few different garages, had it up on the ramps to check for any play in the front end (FWD), it's been out for a test drive with 2x garages and they're both stumped as to what's causing the judder, they don't think it's dual mass fly (Purely on a sound and drive perspective)? - One of them told me to replace all 4x tyres as they believe the bead on all 4 tyres is misshaped.

I pumped through a can of that EGR Aerosol, and followed what the instructions suggested, but hasn't made any effect
i couldn't get the Judder until i'd driven for 25/30 minutes though; could be an indicator for some of you in the know how.

Everyone has scanned for faults and come back as clear
It's booked in tomorrow to get the map removed and reverted to standard - Any suggestions on the route to take?

Last edited:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Tyre problems are never rev dependant, only speed. Tyres running out of true, out of round, or delamination can be diagnosed in a minute. Throw it on a hoist and spin the wheels.

Chudders

May 1, 2017
UK
Tyre problems are never rev dependant, only speed. Tyres running out of true, out of round, or delamination can be diagnosed in a minute. Throw it on a hoist and spin the wheels.

That's a very good point; in all honesty, i took their 'advice' with a pinch of salt anyhow.
Will see what happens after the standard map is back on the car and take it from there.

My bets and fears are dual mass fly to be honest :cry:

Chudders

May 1, 2017
UK
Had it looked at by another garage; they said they think it's dual mass fly, had the remap removed after... couldn't get it to judder on the way home?

is it just the map highlighting 'a' problem, or is the remap 'the' problem?, what do you think.

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
Sounds like a case of too much torque from low rpm - probably related to the remap. I had similar experience when running with a tuning box on my manual 150 tdi, always happened when accelerating in higher gears.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise