Handbrake Adjustment

AsherD

Hi all. ive tried searching for the best part of half hour now to see if anyone could help me out with my handbrake adjustment, my car went in for its mot the other day and it failed on the nearside handbrake cable being to slack and no response. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this at all?

The offside brake is fine tho :|

Ive tried adjusting the metal brace under the back ashtray but it doesnt seem to do a deal and ive checked that the cable nipple on the end is sat in place properly...

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
have you cleaned the brakes and re greased the contact area on the brake shoe/pads? if not its a good think to start with.

dos the hand brake pull even on the 2 cables? do both cables move together? or is it only the one side who is moving when you pull?
EBrake3.jpg

and look at the caliber/cable, do the cable "arm" go back to the "stopmetal" when you release the handbrake, or is it floating halfway in between? if you know what i mean?
28konkn.jpg
just a picture i found.

get a mate to pull on the handbrake, and you look on both calibers can you see them both being pulled or only one move? or dos one move more then the other?

oh and welcome on the forum

Last edited:

AsherD

Thanks alot mate, and the metal bar which you have pointed out (under the ashtray) is on a tilt as shown... and also the pully isn't going all the way back to the metal stop. what i did was loosen the bolt off and pulled it all the way back then re-tightened the bolt... didn't do much at all, Thanks for the info tho mate and ill give it another go!

Az

Jan 30, 2014
did you manage to fix this yourself? Ive got the exact same problem and need to get it sorted for the MOT

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
The handbrake cable retainer on the caliper is most likely sticking. There are springs you can buy that will solve this.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
From the dealer or ebay

When I ordered mine from ebay I was advised the number had changed to 7H0 615 295A and 296A and the seller ordered them in for me

£7.95 delivered

Az

Jan 30, 2014
I'll be getting some of those springs thanks for posting :)

Managed to loosen the calliper so it'll engage the parking brake and get through the MOT..
But now ive noticed its not returning all the way to the metal stop point when the brake is released. Will fitting some of these springs fix that or does it need replacing or cleaning further?

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
I know this is an old thread but I have hand brake problems as well,

I have put on new rear disks, pads and new rear callipers on both sides but my hand brake is still crap,

just looked at my handbrake adjuster and one side in pulling a lot further then the other side is this the norm??

everything is new so my hand brake should be working well now so I thought lol

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
mine is crap as well. Unless I am at a standstill the handbrake won't stop the car from moving. I am used to cars where if I pull up the handbrake whilst moving it will lock the rear wheels!

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
only thing I have not changed is the cable really, when I pull mine they do work but wont hold me on a hill

Jonnyaye

Nov 14, 2017
Belfast
only thing I have not changed is the cable really, when I pull mine they do work but wont hold me on a hill

Hi mate, it sounds like your handbrake cable is stretched! The caliper return springs will be fine, but the cable has probably stretched out a bit hence the crap handbrake. Mine did this too!

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
yea I think so too, think I will try and even them out so the lever is level then adjust it rather then buying new as getting under the car can be hard work being so low down

Jonnyaye

Nov 14, 2017
Belfast
yea I think so too, think I will try and even them out so the lever is level then adjust it rather then buying new as getting under the car can be hard work being so low down

Yes you could do, the only problem is that if it’s already elongated as soon as you pull the handbrake lever it will just pull on the one good cable :( have you got any bits of wood laying about you could drive on top of? It would give you a bit better access underneath the car. Hopefully you get it sorted mate!

19jeff89

Oct 20, 2016
Best way I've found to adjust handbrake is slacken off adjuster under rear ashtray all the way then wind calipers all the way back and make sure handbrake levers on calipers is off completely then refit calipers and pump foot brake then adjust under ashtray until slack has gone from handbrake lever. Don't pull handbrake lever until footbrake has been pumped

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
is there an auto adjuster on the rear brakes callipers then hence the pumping of them with no hand brake cable on

Last edited:

19jeff89

Oct 20, 2016
Main thing with them is If the handbrake is pulled before the brakes are pumped it pulls the lever on the caliper to far and dosent work. So have cables on the calipers. Best way to put cables on the calipers is to undo adjuster under ashtray all the way so there's plenty off slack to fit the cables. Then wind calipers back and fit to carrier then pump footbrake then take slack out on adjuster

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.