leon mk3 Manual or DSG ?

Smeghead

Dec 29, 2017
www.cbafinancials.co.uk
Hi All
Wonder if a few leon mk3 owners would give me some guidance please.
I cannot decide between the DSG and 6 speed manual.
Having always been a manual driver (except a quick blast in a 4 litre supercharged Jag s type!), manual doesn’t bother me, but I have heard some good things about the DSG box and its ease of use.
I would appreciate input from users of either box please (particularly the DSG).
Obviously I intend to do a test drive, but I like going into things with eyes wide open! :D
Many thanks for your help
Chris

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
my experience on the 6 speed manual is that its slick and fantastic to use but if I was to choose again now after 9 months ownership I would probably have the dsg.heard so many good things on the dsg gearbox(ive never tried one)but 6 speed is precise also.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I have a Cupra estate DSG. It's my first non-manual car I've owned as I've previously been of the opinion that automatics are for for the lazy and the uninterested drivers.

However I am very happy with it. The shifts are quick and smooth and It's very good at being in the right gear at the right time. For everyday life it's great.

My only gripes are that it is slightly hesitant when pulling away (which you very quickly get used to and compensate for) and that it just doesn't have the involvement of a manual. For 95% of the time though I don't regret having the DSG.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
^^^Exactly what he said^^^ (except mine is a 5-door FR150 ACT). I find there is a finesse to driving DSGs meaning they can be as involving, but in a different, more subtle way.

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
I am not sure i would go back to a manual having gone to dsg - its so flexible - you can drive it spirited on the paddles when you want to but most of the time i flick it from standard D mode to S mode it i want to overtake or throw it round the bends. Rest of the time you cant fault it round town. I do 20k per year mainly on country A roads

Eggy

Jun 3, 2016
Estonia
I have been driving 290 ST MT6 for year and a half now. Also friend has 280 DSG. For spirited drivers definately manual (as i have). The DSG is too smooth, it takes away all the drama, mine is also tuned...nice downshift, braking with gear backfires etc... So DSG if you want smooth, fast, comfort (big city life?), manual if you like to change the gears. The color and gearbox were the 2 most difficult choices whan I bought my 290 :D

PS! My individual setting is comfort DCC and engine and differ Cupra (door lighting all the time red). Doing that in DSG keeps the RPM-s over 4k all the time.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
I was a die hard manual fan until I got my DSG, I don’t think I would ever go back to manual for either road or track and I love using the paddles :D it’s an absolute gift in traffic too.

I still use manual boxes, we have one in our S3 and I use one in a caterham on track, it never makes me want to go back. Everyone is different, I don’t think either is “better”, but it’s DSG for me.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I drove manual cars for 30 years until I got the dsg a couple of months ago. Even though I stepped down in power the linear nature of the acceleration is very impressive and you can barely notice gear changes on the speedo. There's nothing wrong with having a 'lazy' box for around town but even in auto mode (it's not strictly an auto) it's quite engaging.

There is a bit of lag in situations described, most noticable when slowed to a few miles an hour before a roundabout or at speed humps for example. For speed humps I drive differently and anticipate the hump by applying acceleration when reaching the hump rather than once over it. The lag at a roundabout or similar is more disconcerting because you need the instant power. The way I avoid this happening is to just blip the paddle to downshift (even when in auto mode) and the car will then hold in gear and provide you with the instant acceleration you need before returning to auto mode. I recommend this to anyone who hasn't tried it.In effect there are solutions to all the downsides.

The use of eco/normal or sport modes bring other benefits. Some people use sport all the time but I really don't see the point when in town as it just holds the revs higher and economy suffers - you can put it into sport mode at the touch of a button if you really need it. Free from city constraints then go for it! Full manual mode is also engaging and enjoyable and brings the driver experience closer to the full engagement you would get with a manual whilst having seamless shifts.

Go for the dsg.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Have a manual 280 and have just ordered a manual 300.

However I had a S3 for a couple of months as a courtesy car and that was DSG. After only a week in that I now regret ordering a manual 300.

I did test drive the 300 DSG and thought it was ok, but I needed to live with it for at least a week to fully appreciate it.

The added exhaust noises really added to the experience.

Only thing I noticed was a slight hesitation which I was soon able to account for.

Upthere

Jul 10, 2017
I'm going to buck the trend and say I dont really like DSG. In D it changes up too early, in S it changes up too late. Its ok using the paddles. I Do like the DSG bang and the pops and burbles. But for overall feel of driving and control I dont think you can beat manual. I'm stuck with DSG for 2 years. In a way im glad I chose it so i know what its like, but I really dont see all the hype. It's too void of involvement.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I'm going to buck the trend and say I dont really like DSG. In D it changes up too early, in S it changes up too late. Its ok using the paddles. I Do like the DSG bang and the pops and burbles. But for overall feel of driving and control I dont think you can beat manual. I'm stuck with DSG for 2 years. In a way im glad I chose it so i know what its like, but I really dont see all the hype. It's too void of involvement.

Actually what you said makes a lot of sense. I guess the type of driving actually is a major factor too. I preferred it for all the traffic I was stuck in.

Embarrassingly though again it's the DSG exhaust sounds I really miss.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Actually what you said makes a lot of sense. I guess the type of driving actually is a major factor too. I preferred it for all the traffic I was stuck in.

Embarrassingly though again it's the DSG exhaust sounds I really miss.

I don’t think it’s necessarily the type of driving, more we all just like different things or at different times? I don’t think DSG is any less involving, but the fact I’ve been driving manuals for 25 years on road and track, so maybe the manual has got a bit mundane for me? Everyone needs extended test drives really :D It is hard to beat the DSG for objective performance and flexibility, VAG did a good job as a starting point. Another boon for me is that I don’t have to mess around with aftermarket clutches.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Not really like DSG...
Its nice only when leaving off the line on full throttle, it shifts nicely.
On normal driving in D it does have annoying lag and in S it keeps the revs too high when just cruising.

I like driving, i like to shift gears, control the car...it gives me pleasure.
With DSG it just feel like playstation.

On a traffic i do miss automatic, since it is annoying as f*** when you barely can lift the clucth up before you need to stop once again...

So all in all...if you have a good motor, good suspension and like driving a car then go with the manual...Cupras, 180tsi and 184tdi...you will get pure joy driving it on a street, track and nice flowing B-roads.

If you have the small engines, with the cart suspension, then its obvious that you are not so into driving and car is just a thing to get from A to B...then why not DSG

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Not really like DSG...
On normal driving in D it does have annoying lag and in S it keeps the revs too high when just cruising.

On a traffic i do miss automatic, since it is annoying as f*** when you barely can lift the clucth up before you need to stop once again...

So all in all...if you have a good motor, good suspension and like driving a car then go with the manual...Cupras, 180tsi and 184tdi...you will get pure joy driving it on a street, track and nice flowing B-roads.

If you have the small engines, with the cart suspension, then its obvious that you are not so into driving and car is just a thing to get from A to B...then why not DSG
That's the most arrogant presumptive statement I've heard in ages! Not all of us who now have small engines and cart suspensions have never had experience of something more raw. The forum is for all anyway, whatever spec and engine chosen. Forget the 30 years I've had if driving manuals.

Upthere

Jul 10, 2017
Not really like DSG...

I think this is pretty much spot on. Especially the PlayStation bit and about being stuck in traffic.
Not arrogant at all.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I don't have a problem with most of the post - just the one sentence "If you have the small engines, with the cart suspension, then its obvious that you are not so into driving and car is just a thing to get from A to B...then why not"

If that's not arrogant and condescending I don't know what is. It's a ridiculous assertion. I don't go bigging it up about driving a 1.4 - that would be ridiculous. But remember there's always someone out there with a better car and who thinks they enjoy driving more. I have driven far more powerful cars - all of them manual, but I couldn't believe how much performance was squeezed out of a 1.4. I can get enjoyment out of driving my wife's micra where a 1.6 is squeezed into a tiny engine bay. The seating position is like a van but the handling is fun. Conversely I've driven and owned cars with multilink suspension. There's so much more to driving than meets the eye. I don't come on the forum assuming that anyone other than those who drive cupras don't enjoy cars. These days people consider all sorts of other factors as good reasons for not going top end

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
That's the most arrogant presumptive statement I've heard in ages! Not all of us who now have small engines and cart suspensions have never had experience of something more raw. The forum is for all anyway, whatever spec and engine chosen. Forget the 30 years I've had if driving manuals.

:rofl:
Come on man, relax...

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
The statement was questionable as a large amount of the big engined sporty cars come auto/semi automatic. I.e nissan GTR, veyrons MP4-12C e.t.c

DSG was really suitable for traffic though. Never really used the paddles as anything more than novelty.

After a few weeks back in the manual I'm finding it less and less of a big deal.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
On my daily commute I don't use the paddles either - except on the occasions I described previously as I find a blip down totally mitigates the hesitation that can occur at a roundabout etc. It's kind of like slapping the rear of the horse to get the cart rolling forward ;-)

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
On my daily commute I don't use the paddles either - except on the occasions I described previously as I find a blip down totally mitigates the hesitation that can occur at a roundabout etc. It's kind of like slapping the rear of the horse to get the cart rolling forward ;-)

:lol:

Wish id have tried that technique when i had the DSG. Probably would have spared me some hairy moments at roundabouts :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.