oil light flashing!! arghh

Prittc

Oct 27, 2015
Hi

I have a 52 plate Leon Cupra, on coils, fmic, air feed etc..

I've recently cracked the sump leaked oil then drove to a nearby garage and got the sump replaced and since then the cars doing my compete nut in,

Right... Before i messed the sump it was booting to around 15psi, now its only boosting to approx 5-8 psi, not only that the oil light was flashing and beeping at me so today I got a new oil pressure switch fitted thinking it would be that but it still the same

So basically I have the oil light flashing and the cars not boosting correctly, I'm unsure what this is as there is no white stuff in oil cap and reading from other posts I thought it would be the oil pressure switch, obviously not as I've just changed it,

Also all my fluid levels are fine... Oil ok, brakes ok, coolant ok

The oil light only seems to come on at high revs then on off after that

Can anyone pleas help, thanks

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I had oil light on dash for a while. Changed switches etc. Became costly.
Turned out to be the pick up.
Partially blocked. Very cheap part too. Could be that simple? Others will know a heap more than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I missed that. My bad.
Fatal.
Probably more than a pick up then.

Probably ring's and pump at a guess. My advice, stop driving and rebuild or replace, either way driving it has done irreversible damage internally.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LCR33

Aug 18, 2014
In a house
Yep permanent damage will have been caused. As well as oil pissing out you loose crank pressure. NEVER even start an engine with cracked Sump let alone drive it.

I'd start by getting a compression test done and I think that may highlight the issue.

On a side note you shouldnt be driving a car hard if the oil light comes on, they are meant as a warning and something is wrong.

Last edited:

Prittc

Oct 27, 2015
right, car was at the garage the whole week and im compeltly gutted,

was at work yesterday and got given the all clear from the guys at a local garage, they did a oil pressure check which came back normal on low revs and a slight difference at peak, checked the pressure switch which was completely fine ?

the got in the car after it had walmed up and took it down the road, car still felt like it wasent boosting right hitting 5 psi again after he said its all running sweet, obviously not d*mb s**t

then about a hour later the oil light comes on again but this time its beeped 3 times and gone back offf, still not as much as the oil light came on before but jus a slight difference to that

my opinion the cars ****ed, i then rang him later on in the eve and the w**kstain didnt even check the sump or the return pipe....

now he aint open till after new year,,,,,, just great!

is my car f**ked or could it be a block in the pipe :/

slowly giving up and might trade it in for a pushbike or if not just sell as it is

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
is my car f**ked or could it be a block in the pipe :/

As you may have read before, the opinions of several experienced members said it most certainly is ... and not to keep driving it.

Look here and see if you want to do your own test

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4755750#post4755750

If you're quick you may be able to get one delivered in a few days, then do a dry and wet test.

In the meantime you could take the sump off and check the pipe condition. Get instant gasket ready so at least you can put the sump back on.

Last edited:

Prittc

Oct 27, 2015
ok then,

well seeing as im driving it anyway and garages are closed till after new year its either gonna get done after new year or the engines going to go bang

if anyones interested ill let it go quick sale £800

$_86.JPG

Last edited:

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I had a mk1 LCR a few years back. I was driving through France after a holiday when around 200 miles from Calais the oil light came on. Stopped, checked level, all was fine. Carried on. 50 miles from Calais car rolled to a stop on the motorway. Cost me lots and lots of money to return it to the UK for the garage to tell me the pick up pipe had blocked and the engine was toast. 5 grand down the drain after 6 months of ownership.

Do not drive the car another inch!!

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
ok then,

well seeing as im driving it anyway and garages are closed till after new year its either gonna get done after new year or the engines going to go bang

if anyones interested ill let it go quick sale £800

$_86.JPG
5 psi is limp mode, Just stop driving it,also don't sell it for £800 mate. Does the engine make any type of extra noise? Rattle/metallic sounds? Any smoke? If not.. Get some crappy clothing on a get under there. Take the pan off and replace the pick up pipe first off, have a look in the pan for metal while your there. Could be an easy fix...giving it to a mechanical man at the garage has done nothing for you so learn a lesson now....these cars/engines are very well documented, I mean thousands of pages/videos of how to fix/replace whatever, there easy to work on and after a while you will maybe enjoy working on it
Car looks good and is worth more time from you fixing her not some bloke who clearly doesn't give a toss.
IMO Name and shame the garage so other's don't go there. Not checking the pick up pipe is just a joke and shows the lack of workmanship

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
How does your oil dipstick look. Is it all in tact. These get brittle and the plastic has been known to break up with bits finding their way to the oil pick up. Mine had fragments in there. Didn’t help the situation.
Worth checking.

Prittc

Oct 27, 2015
Right happy that I've just got the car BACK out the garage later on this afternoon,

Was so happy that the car is now back to normal after getting work done today which was the oil pump and new oil return pipe :)

Now after going for a nice run :) say a 30min good drive I've literally just pulled onto my street and the EPC light decided to make an announcement and not let me put my foot down

Getting tired of these faults but slowly getting there, just hope this is the last

C'mon folks I know u know the answer to this one :)

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Right happy that I've just got the car BACK out the garage later on this afternoon,

Was so happy that the car is now back to normal after getting work done today which was the oil pump and new oil return pipe :)

Now after going for a nice run :) say a 30min good drive I've literally just pulled onto my street and the EPC light decided to make an announcement and not let me put my foot down

Getting tired of these faults but slowly getting there, just hope this is the last

C'mon folks I know u know the answer to this one :)
Out of interest how many miles did you do with no oil/crack sump?

Prittc

Oct 27, 2015
Argh ffs

As you can see I got the car fixed yesterday was running fine now the boost has gone upto 8psi and that god damn oil lights flashing up again

Right so I've replaced sump, oil pick up, oil pump and oil pressure switch

Now all I can think now that it has to be something electrical or something

I'm completely miffed and have no idea as I've just basically wasted a good part of 400 quid

Any ideas please

May 25, 2008
cambs
Mine has Been doing the same,
Dipstick shows perfect oil level ?
Drained it and only 4 litres inc filter came out ,
Replaced sump level sensor and new oil and magnetic sump plug
And new filter and it’s took 4.5-4.7 litres to reach middle on dipstick
And so far no oil warning

In your case it might be worth having a full flush done and replace sump sensor as it seems the only one you haven’t replaced
Seems to have solved my issue

Last edited:

Prittc

Oct 27, 2015
thrill of my life

Right so so so so so confused now

You guys might be the same after reading this

Basically I just took a drove to the shop as I needed to feed my belly, hit a few pot holes with he usual boost problem as above

Next minute you know....... Pwaaaaaarrrr, I put my foot down and it started booating to 11-13 psi so I though was the heck enjoy while it lasts so carried on driving irractically for around 10 mins then it started voosting back to around 5-8 again

So lost, its weird how it suddenly given me the power back and then pissed over it again, I've spent so much on this and just can't figure out why its just done this,

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.