Alexa and digital cockpit in cupra's

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Hey guys,

I understand if you order now you'll get the digital dash on cupra models but does anyone know when they will start including Alexa is it already happening or is it next year?

Has anyone seen any videos about of the digital cockpit in the cupra to see what it's like?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hey guys,

I understand if you order now you'll get the digital dash on cupra models but does anyone know when they will start including Alexa is it already happening or is it next year?

Has anyone seen any videos about of the digital cockpit in the cupra to see what it's like?

Hi mate,

It's seems it still too early to see videos of the CUPRA with DC. It may be because current information suggests they start building them in the beginning of 2018.

The only video I've seen is the Autogefuhl and that was DC in an Ateca (I think)
See below
https://youtu.be/62LGicoVo5Y (from around 21 mins)

Here are links to other posts that have covered DC up to now

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=442145

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=440495&page=5

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=441493

With regards to Alexia it was understood that it would roll out from December 2017. There are a couple reviews. It is accessed by an app called the media control app.

There is also a theory that it requires the Nav high upgrade to function, because of the WLAN feature. This has yet to be confirmed. It would also mean that it would be possible to retrofit to some existing seats with Nav high.

There is a post about it here linking to a review

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=441840

Other than that still awaiting more info.

Last edited:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
There's quite a bit of info flying about on the German forums from some trusted members.

Their current take is Alexa will be part of the Sat Nav high package and work through your mobile phone which needs to be plugged in via USB.

No info on release date but expected speculation it'll be for Model year 19 for cars built from 28/05/18. However talk that that the hardware will be installed earlier and it may just require unlocking (bit like full link was for later MY15 Leon's).

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
There's quite a bit of info flying about on the German forums from some trusted members.

Their current take is Alexa will be part of the Sat Nav high package and work through your mobile phone which needs to be plugged in via USB.

No info on release date but expected speculation it'll be for Model year 19 for cars built from 28/05/18. However talk that that the hardware will be installed earlier and it may just require unlocking (bit like full link was for later MY15 Leon's).

Alright mate, do you have any links?

The article I read said that It used Bluetooth connectivity. You install the app on your Android device and stream as you would music.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/we-test-amazon-alexa-in-a-seat-ateca-five-things-we-learned/

By the sounds of it it wasn't requiring wifi just Nav high spec infotainment.

In the product demos also it shows a wireless device no USB. You can also see on the infotainment system that it seems to be coming from another device similar to Bluetooth audio.

Unfortunately the vid is German but you can see the source starts as SD until he presses the button on the steering wheel then the source changes.
There is also a tablet on his lap the whole time.

https://youtu.be/gIAE4hoUL_M

There are other demos too either German or french.

They show Android tablets or phones being used as the source for data (wirelessly)

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
There were local radio adverts before Christmas which mentioned Alexa coming soon and mentioned android devices. Not sure on exact date but apparently will come to Android first. I recall reading June 2018 for iOS.

And yes, recent hardware will be compatible - how recent is the question but will need to be nav high unit for Alexa.

Digital cockpit requirements less clear. Not sure that it will need nav high for all functionality (other than the tech which high gets anyway).

Last edited:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Alright mate, do you have any links?

The article I read said that It used Bluetooth connectivity. You install the app on your Android device and stream as you would music.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/we-test-amazon-alexa-in-a-seat-ateca-five-things-we-learned/

By the sounds of it it wasn't requiring wifi just Nav high spec infotainment.

In the product demos also it shows a wireless device no USB. You can also see on the infotainment system that it seems to be coming from another device similar to Bluetooth audio.

Unfortunately the vid is German but you can see the source starts as SD until he presses the button on the steering wheel then the source changes.
There is also a tablet on his lap the whole time.

https://youtu.be/gIAE4hoUL_M

There are other demos too either German or french.

They show Android tablets or phones being used as the source for data (wirelessly)

That's good news on the wireless element of it. Maybe the German discussion was around something else and I've translated it wrong.

I'll try get you some links when I go back through the threads.

BenWilliams21

Ben Williams
Aug 12, 2017
Hertfordshire
I've had my weekly call from Seat Customer Services this morning who have confirmed Alexa is now being installed on all Leons as of last week of December. Ours (FR ST 1.8) is scheduled for build in week 5 and will have it fitted :)

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I've had my weekly call from Seat Customer Services this morning who have confirmed Alexa is now being installed on all Leons as of last week of December. Ours (FR ST 1.8) is scheduled for build in week 5 and will have it fitted :)

Weekly call?! :)
Did they say anything regarding Nav high? Or is it available to all regardless?

BenWilliams21

Ben Williams
Aug 12, 2017
Hertfordshire
Weekly call?! :)
Did they say anything regarding Nav high? Or is it available to all regardless?

Yeah my dealer is hopeless, so I speak to seat weekly now and get better updates out of them.

They haven't mentioned anything about needing the additional nav package. I did query that but their tech team didn't come back saying it was needed!

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Think I might drop them a call to get an update, will need to confirm Alexa.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
What are the benefits of having Alexa in the car?

Amazon Alexa will enable SEAT drivers, using voice commands, to optimise their time while in their car: managing their personal schedule, finding songs, locating points of interest, real-time news or the nearest dealership, among many other functions, all within the strictest privacy protocol.

Similar to Siri and Google now. Or obviously Alexa dot .e.t.c

The benefit would be that you can speak to it as you would a person. This is as opposed to the standard voice technology which only responds to limited trained commands and can often misinterpret.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Yeah my dealer is hopeless, so I speak to seat weekly now and get better updates out of them.

They haven't mentioned anything about needing the additional nav package. I did query that but their tech team didn't come back saying it was needed!

Cheers mate, I've only picked up on it from early reviews, but again nothing concrete.

If it works via Bluetooth it should be available to all unless there is something additional added when speccing Nav high i.e link to the hardware button on the steering wheel.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Cheers mate, I've only picked up on it from early reviews, but again nothing concrete.

If it works via Bluetooth it should be available to all unless there is something additional added when speccing Nav high i.e link to the hardware button on the steering wheel.

Fairly sure the radio ad mentioned nav high. It won’t be related to hardware on the steering wheel. Needs click or double click of mute button to activate Alexa. Must relate to some spec on the high unit (maybe hard drive /processor?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Fairly sure the radio ad mentioned nav high. It won’t be related to hardware on the steering wheel. Needs click or double click of mute button to activate Alexa. Must relate to some spec on the high unit (maybe hard drive /processor?).

Yeah sorry I meant something in the hardware included when speccing Nav high. That would allow us to use Alexa features. I saw in the demos that they pressed button on the wheel and it wasn't the voice command button.

Anyway I just got off the phone to Seat this morning to confirm my build and spec.

My original unconfirmed build was week 6 and now have a confirmed build of week 5 :)

It was also confirmed that Alexa is shipping with *all* cars built in 2018 regardless of Nav Spec. Much like Benwilliams21 said. The only stipulation was that it has to have a Nav system included.

I asked the agent to verify and he said that he had with his team and as far they were concerned this was seats official stance.

Very glad I delayed my order as its added Digital Dash, illuminated sills rear usb and Alexa for no additional cost :)

Last edited:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Good time to get a build from week 2 onwards it seems. Lots of updates to go along with the week 45 changes too. Begs the question what the next model year will bring in a few months.. seems lots already updated during model year 18. We even got a new colour!

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Good time to get a build from week 2 onwards it seems. Lots of updates to go along with the week 45 changes too. Begs the question what the next model year will bring in a few months.. seems lots already updated during model year 18. We even got a new colour!

Yeah definitely.

Although i just heard that android auto goes wireless this year, so that may be one for the next model year.

That would be nice also especially for those with wireless charging.

Beats audio, and heated windscreen option too perhaps :rolleyes:

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Yeah definitely.

Although i just heard that android auto goes wireless this year, so that may be one for the next model year.

That would be nice also especially for those with wireless charging.

Beats audio, and heated windscreen option too perhaps :rolleyes:

Wireless carplay could also feature

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members