Cupra Insurance

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Hello, I’m sure this will have been discussed before but thought I’d ask anyway!

The lease on my FR is coming to an end and I’ve been looking at Cupras. I’m happy with the price of the new lease but having done a hypothetical insurance quote with my current insurer, they won’t insure me on that ‘type’ of car...they won’t even insure me on a GTI. I’m yet to ring them to discuss but just wondered who/how other people got insurance.

For reference I’m 22, when I get the Cupra I will be 23, are there any young Cupra owners having the same issues?

Thanks

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
For me admiral group, in particular the multicar insurance, was the cheapest for me. No other company would provide a quote, or would give ridiculous prices.
I've had a Cupra since I was 22, two years now and not paid more than 800 each year.
The computer works out a quote based on their database, if your area, age, vehicle, etc, have a history of claims then the premium will reflect that. If it's really bad then they'll just say no.
I've always added a named driver too.
Use moneysupermarket or comparethemarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pavarotti1980

Jul 18, 2017
Hello, I’m sure this will have been discussed before but thought I’d ask anyway!

The lease on my FR is coming to an end and I’ve been looking at Cupras. I’m happy with the price of the new lease but having done a hypothetical insurance quote with my current insurer, they won’t insure me on that ‘type’ of car...they won’t even insure me on a GTI. I’m yet to ring them to discuss but just wondered who/how other people got insurance.

For reference I’m 22, when I get the Cupra I will be 23, are there any young Cupra owners having the same issues?

Thanks

Would a broker not be the best bet?

Jib

May 22, 2007
Doncaster, South Yorks
I am 31 with 5 years NCB with no convictions or claims and I was getting quotes of around £800-£900. I eventually went with Aviva for £532. No other company could get close to that price.

campbell_p30

Feb 20, 2003
Belfast
Visit site
I am 31 with 5 years NCB with no convictions or claims and I was getting quotes of around £800-£900. I eventually went with Aviva for £532. No other company could get close to that price.

1st Central insurance has always been good for my Cupras.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Greg2904

Dec 27, 2017
For me admiral group, in particular the multicar insurance, was the cheapest for me. No other company would provide a quote, or would give ridiculous prices.
I've had a Cupra since I was 22, two years now and not paid more than 800 each year.
The computer works out a quote based on their database, if your area, age, vehicle, etc, have a history of claims then the premium will reflect that. If it's really bad then they'll just say no.
I've always added a named driver too.
Use moneysupermarket or comparethemarket

Same here, 22 and prices coming in around <£900 with admiral group, direct line quoted approx £1300.

Maybe try a broker such as Adrian Flux?

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
Same here, 22 and prices coming in around <£900 with admiral group, direct line quoted approx £1300.

Maybe try a broker such as Adrian Flux?

Is adrian flux generally cheaper than admiral?
I tried sky insurance, they couldn't give a price and were shocked I was even insured on my car last year. Apparently they don't insure 23yr olds on cupras lol

Greg2904

Dec 27, 2017
Is adrian flux generally cheaper than admiral?
I tried sky insurance, they couldn't give a price and were shocked I was even insured on my car last year. Apparently they don't insure 23yr olds on cupras lol

I haven't actually called them just yet as I won't be getting the cupra for a few months. But probably worth at least a phone call.

Although that being said, currently have a fiesta ST and they wouldn't touch me as they said they have been paying out £8 for every £1 taken on insurance for the car, can't vouch for the truth in that though... With AXA atm and that's approx £650.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Yeah my problem is LV(current insurer) won’t touch me on a Cupra apparently...I looked at Admiral but their reviews online are shocking, are they that bad of a company?

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
Yeah my problem is LV(current insurer) won’t touch me on a Cupra apparently...I looked at Admiral but their reviews online are shocking, are they that bad of a company?

My experience with admiral is nothing to complain about. Throughout the time I've been with them (2 years) ive added many cars and removed cars. The wait time on the phone can be lengthy at times but generally okay. The price is better than anyone else's offering.
Saying that I've only been with admiral, elephant and diamond. Which all are under the same group.
Might be interesting to know if things are different when you're claiming from them...

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
My experience with admiral is nothing to complain about. Throughout the time I've been with them (2 years) ive added many cars and removed cars. The wait time on the phone can be lengthy at times but generally okay. The price is better than anyone else's offering.
Saying that I've only been with admiral, elephant and diamond. Which all are under the same group.
Might be interesting to know if things are different when you're claiming from them...

Yeah a lot of complaints are regarding claiming and them finding any loophole possible to get out of it. Of 800ish reviews they have a 2.8 out of 10, eSure have like 8.3/10 from 3000 reviews so pretty damning!

Greg2904

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah a lot of complaints are regarding claiming and them finding any loophole possible to get out of it. Of 800ish reviews they have a 2.8 out of 10, eSure have like 8.3/10 from 3000 reviews so pretty damning!

I've been with them before and no issues other than call wait times. Cheap and cheerful.

Just make sure all your details are cosher and you shouldn't have a problem if you need to claim. Don't forget GAP if a new car too, don't think admiral offer new replacement in the first year like the higher defaqto insurers.

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016

Wow. The dreaded loop hole
They can really stuff things up for you. I'd choose a different insurance provider but no one is willing to insure me for a price I could afford

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Switched my current insurance to Admiral on their 10 month thing where you earn a Years no claims after 10 months is up which will give me 4 and take me past the 6th year of my licence. Hopefully that’ll be enough for them to insure me on a Cupra for a reasonable amount...

The road to a Cupra continues!!

BopoWarls

Jul 28, 2017
Shropshire
I got my insurance through esure. I got screwed over with insurance due to getting the phone call in the morning to pick my car up that day so the insurance quotes were coming at around £800. I am 26 and took that policy with 0 NCB as it was my first second car purchase. Anyway, I took out the insurance, re-checked / updated the quote on comparethemarket a week later and it came out as £500 (with esure again..). Contacted esure and they told me to cancel my current insurance (within 14 days cooling off period) and just re-take it again for £500 with no penalties etc.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Yeah eSure were cheap for my FR but I was doing hypothetical insurance quotes, adding a year NCB, a year to my licence and a year to my age and Admiral were one of about 4 that would insure me on a Cupra for less than 3k p/a!!! Perks of being a young male I guess

Last edited:

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
This may have been mentioned, but a good proportion of the costs can be down to location. My insurance went up about 40% moving from a small town to Birmingham. All other things were kept the same. I'm never sure how some people get their insurance so cheap though! £350 to get a Cupra insured when you're in your 20s is pretty amazing in this day and age. I'm 32 and pay £650 for a GTI.

Someone mentioned the high costs of insuring Fiesta STs. From what I read about, those things are being stolen faster than they are being sold which might account for that :p

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

surrealjam insurance is about stats / risk and wining market share.

So stats will show a number of cars being stolen in a post code (and if you live on one side of the road it can be cheaper than the other side due to post code differences). They also change prices due to not getting enough new customers, I used to use Tesco's and you could tell by the price if they were after more business. Age is another factor but the bit that supprised me when I told them I had retired they said oh that will put the price up, because I had more time to drive.... Even when I said I would fix the millage to 8k but it just confirms you need to look around and dont leave it till the last month as they seem to raise the price if you are near your renewall..

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.