Input Appreciated: 1.8TFSI 180 FR Power

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
So I picked up a 2014 petrol FR ST DSG in December and from the day I got it, unless I am really gentle with the accelerator pedal, I find it really struggles to put the power down and just spins the wheels.
I have gone and replaced all 4 tyres, there was only. 1000 miles or so left in them and thought it may help, but still the same. If I am in sport mode, S3 and push the accelerator the wheels will spin and the traction control cuts in. I cannot pull out from junctions quickly,it has to be really slow, almost a bit of power, back off and then back on again.
Now it does feel quick for 180, but I could be imagining it as I was rolling around in a diesel for 6 months prior, but another thought is that it may be “chipped”, Bu still wouldn’t have thought Seat would let them be like that and with 280/300 CUPRA's out there, something must be possible to resolve it?
So my questions:
Anyone else have issues putting the power down in a petrol FR?
Any ideas on how I can see if it has been tweaked?
Any ideas on what I can do to help it put the power down.

Many thanks in advance.

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
it is possible a previous owned had it mapped, the 180's go up to 230-240 quite easily looking around.
As above though, what tyres have you put on ?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
So I picked up a 2014 petrol FR ST DSG in December and from the day I got it, unless I am really gentle with the accelerator pedal, I find it really struggles to put the power down and just spins the wheels.
I have gone and replaced all 4 tyres, there was only. 1000 miles or so left in them and thought it may help, but still the same. If I am in sport mode, S3 and push the accelerator the wheels will spin and the traction control cuts in. I cannot pull out from junctions quickly,it has to be really slow, almost a bit of power, back off and then back on again.
Now it does feel quick for 180, but I could be imagining it as I was rolling around in a diesel for 6 months prior, but another thought is that it may be “chipped”, Bu still wouldn’t have thought Seat would let them be like that and with 280/300 CUPRA's out there, something must be possible to resolve it?
So my questions:
Anyone else have issues putting the power down in a petrol FR?
Any ideas on how I can see if it has been tweaked?
Any ideas on what I can do to help it put the power down.

Many thanks in advance.

Sounds like there's two possible problems here:

1. Rubbish tyres - please could you clarify what tyres you have?
2. You're a **** driver (no offence) - try not ragging the tits off it out of junctions?

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
I have the 1.8tsi with the stock Potenza's on the wheels which many say are poor, I am not arguing that fact but I don't suffer from the kind of wheel spin/traction issues you are describing at all, sounds like someone has been tweeking to me and couldn't be arsed to remove before sale.

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
Sounds like there's two possible problems here:

1. Rubbish tyres - please could you clarify what tyres you have?
2. You're a **** driver (no offence) - try not ragging the tits off it out of junctions?

As above
None taken, I'm not ragging out of junctions. But if you want to move off quickly when joining a NS A road, you do have to do it. Surprises me more when you’re doing 40mph and it lights up.
Will try some other tyres, but even with naff/cheap tyres I’d expect better traction.

I'll have to find someone with another FR an doitch it against them to compare as it sounds like it isn’t!t the norm.

marinipersonal

Jan 1, 2017
Mine, same engine, DSG, same thing. If you push a bit more, don't need to be "pedal to the metal", get the ESC light at 40mph dry.
Stock Potenza, which a hate with a passion.
The worst is if you go full throttle, with the DSG, you'll be, in fact, going slower, as the car seems to have a delay, rev without speeding and them engage and speed. Gradual acceleration, in any mode, is the way to go, unless you're changing the gear using the manual mode.

marinipersonal

Jan 1, 2017
PS. I was using a DTUK box, but even without the box, the symptoms were as described, the only difference was that then I could have that at more speed. The lag was shorter, but present. The best way to cure it was using a pedal box. Acceleration was similar to a manual car.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
You don't have to read many magazines to think that lighting up TC in third is a good thing. My first car had 64bhp, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see why a stock 180 would spin up.

Joey_Lofty

Nov 16, 2017
West Yorkshire
I've had the same issue myself, Leon SC 1.8 TSi DSG. It has crap tyres on to be honest but I'm wearing them down before changing them in summer.

I however have installed a 034 Motorsport dog bone mount insert and it is honestly night and day, well worth a look and easy to do.

Hope that helps!

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
You don't have to read many magazines to think that lighting up TC in third is a good thing. My first car had 64bhp, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see why a stock 180 would spin up.

I was looking for input, but opinion is always welcome. My last car (excluding the diesel Volvo hire car) had 360 bhp, but wouldn’t have an issue putting the power down, but appreciate the thought.

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
Mine, same engine, DSG, same thing. If you push a bit more, don't need to be "pedal to the metal", get the ESC light at 40mph dry.
Stock Potenza, which a hate with a passion.
The worst is if you go full throttle, with the DSG, you'll be, in fact, going slower, as the car seems to have a delay, rev without speeding and them engage and speed. Gradual acceleration, in any mode, is the way to go, unless you're changing the gear using the manual mode.

I am noticing this delay you speak about, also when you engage reverse, you have nothing then a surge. Been reading about the DSG box and it’s pros and cons. Appreciate the input thanks.

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
PS. I was using a DTUK box, but even without the box, the symptoms were as described, the only difference was that then I could have that at more speed. The lag was shorter, but present. The best way to cure it was using a pedal box. Acceleration was similar to a manual car.

Excuse the ignorance, what is a pedal box?

MGH74

Dec 17, 2017
I've had the same issue myself, Leon SC 1.8 TSi DSG. It has crap tyres on to be honest but I'm wearing them down before changing them in summer.

I however have installed a 034 Motorsport dog bone mount insert and it is honestly night and day, well worth a look and easy to do.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the input, I shall google what that is now.
It does seem that individual cars are particular to different tyres, so going to play around with some different makes I think and do some research. Noted on the Potenza's
Appreciated

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
It must be something to do with DSG or crappy tyres...
I dont have anything bad to say, only wet / damp roads when ESP is on, it cuts power even before light starts to blink..that is annoying, that is why i mostly drive ESP Sport mode on

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
same problem with my 184 with stock bridgestones on.doesnt have any grip at all when pulling away quickly.a set of Pirellis are next on the agenda once these shitty bridgestines are wore out.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Something seems a bit off to me. I'm currently in a GTI with 230 and DSG. If I'm going, say, 30mph and floor it the traction control light will only come on if the roads are slippy... and even then the tyres aren't spinning madly.

Obviously it's a different story from a standing start but as long as you're not being stupid it's fine. The Leon is obviously available in FWD and 300ps output so 180 shouldn't be causing such problems :blink:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.