Hello, and 300 worth it over 280 or 290

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Hi,

In my past I owned one of the original Ibiza Gti Cupra Sports and then an Ibiza 20VT and loved them. Always kept a bit of a soft spot for SEATs but since then none have really quite matched my needs when I have been changing cars.

In recent years though, for my main car a small quick estate has been what I've needed so now that the Leon can be had in estate form and in Cupra flavour my head turns to possibly having another from Martorell.

I'd obviously love a 300 but having ploughed a load of cash into my house and business in the past few months I'm a little cash strapped. Truth be told my faithful 159 sportwagon is fine but I'm just starting to fancy a swap.

So, given that in the ST body the 300 has 4wd is it really much benefit over the 2wd cars? Or does it actually maybe blunt things a bit? Obviously the 300 has a little more power but the 2wds can always be tuned and they're obviously a bit cheaper due to being a year or so older (I typically buy stuff a couple of years old). I do live out in the sticks so at this time of year 4wd may be a bit more worthwhile than for someone who lives in a city but I'm sure with a decent set of winter tyres it can't be crucial.

I'm hopefully going to drive a 300 4drive later this week and maybe a 280 too.

So - thoughts?

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

Hi,

In my past I owned one of the original Ibiza Gti Cupra Sports and then an Ibiza 20VT and loved them. Always kept a bit of a soft spot for SEATs but since then none have really quite matched my needs when I have been changing cars.

In recent years though, for my main car a small quick estate has been what I've needed so now that the Leon can be had in estate form and in Cupra flavour my head turns to possibly having another from Martorell.

I'd obviously love a 300 but having ploughed a load of cash into my house and business in the past few months I'm a little cash strapped. Truth be told my faithful 159 sportwagon is fine but I'm just starting to fancy a swap.

So, given that in the ST body the 300 has 4wd is it really much benefit over the 2wd cars? Or does it actually maybe blunt things a bit? Obviously the 300 has a little more power but the 2wds can always be tuned and they're obviously a bit cheaper due to being a year or so older (I typically buy stuff a couple of years old). I do live out in the sticks so at this time of year 4wd may be a bit more worthwhile than for someone who lives in a city but I'm sure with a decent set of winter tyres it can't be crucial.

I'm hopefully going to drive a 300 4drive later this week and maybe a 280 too.

So - thoughts?

I am still driving a 280, granted its been modified but as a basic car it ticks all the box's for me. The original 280 vs Golf R (4WD) showed on the track that the 280 was a better car (as you are not carring the extra weight of a 4wd system) and that has been bourne out in my personal experience. I live out in the sticks will lots of windy narrow roads with uneven and broken road surface and it handles it very well in both dry and wet.
As always being sensible about how you drive keeps you on the road and not in the ditch.

Good Tyres are a must espeically if you map to avoid wheel hop.

But as a car its taken the big depreciation hit that the Cupra has, It has all the toys you need, It has family comfort and boy racer modes so does not just become a weekend car.

And for me I still smile every time I get into it and use the power and I prefer the understated looks. I have been very lucky no rattles and no service issues after 4 years of fun and I would not be supprised if it was cheaper to insure.

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Nice one, thanks. That does match what I was wondering. I note that in the DSG spec the 300 is 79kg heavier (I assume due to the 4wd) so it's like carrying an extra passenger around all the time. Hmmmm.

Yes, I'd want a set of spare wheels and winter tyres and a bit of judicious modding (mild remap and things like engine mount and suspension bushing improvements to keep things tied down). Plus, as you note it would save me a few quid.

Tricky.

Deleted member 103408

Nice one, thanks. That does match what I was wondering. I note that in the DSG spec the 300 is 79kg heavier (I assume due to the 4wd) so it's like carrying an extra passenger around all the time. Hmmmm.

Yes, I'd want a set of spare wheels and winter tyres and a bit of judicious modding (mild remap and things like engine mount and suspension bushing improvements to keep things tied down). Plus, as you note it would save me a few quid.

Tricky.
For me its all about the drive. once you have taken them out hopefully it will be obvious which is best for you. i would also call the insunce co to see what the cost is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I chose my 290 ST over a 300 for a number of reasons but mainly for price (the 300 was more expensive but had a worse spec) and the drive. The 300 was a bit numb - plant your foot and go - whereas the 290 takes some thought and finesse.

8000 miles later I've never regretted that decision.

Powerwise on paper it may be 10 or 20bhp down but many will tell you it's all marketing and they actually all produce 300 if not slightly more. Any power deficit would be equalled out by the added weight of the 300 anyway.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
It's down to personal preference. I had a Focus ST before my ST 300 and the traction was bloody terrible in the wet or on poor roads (i.e. most of the time). The 2WD might have an advantage on track as it weighs less, but I don't care as I'm not using it on a track. Having usable performance in all conditions is what I want from my car and the ST 300 ticks all the boxes for me.

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
It's down to personal preference. I had a Focus ST before my ST 300 and the traction was bloody terrible in the wet or on poor roads (i.e. most of the time). The 2WD might have an advantage on track as it weighs less, but I don't care as I'm not using it on a track. Having usable performance in all conditions is what I want from my car and the ST 300 ticks all the boxes for me.

What tyres were you running on your focus ST?

Deleted member 103408

fully agree and happy we dont all like the same thing or the world would be very boring.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Well, saw the 300 in question earlier today. Lovely car, more options ticked on it than the ad showed. To drive it was everything I hoped for - i.e. genuinely quick and very planted. Not up on its toes like some hot hatches can be but that probabaly makes more sense for what I want.

Deal offered is OK but not great so I need to press more. One annoying thing was that my Alfa's PAS pump which I'd trade decided when they were driving it to start screaming on full lock. As such they chipped £500 off the trade in price which wasn't great to start with. Got home, topped it up (it wasn't low but I filled it to max), wound the steering from lock to lock a couple of times and.........silence. FFS

Now need to think whether I'm up for finance as I've always bought cars outright previously but can't just at the mo. A loan for what I'd need would be only a small amount more than their PCP monthly price over the same time so makes more sense. Hmmmm.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I remember the dreaded alfa pas steering whine. You've been lucky, I had to replace the fluid reservoir on 1 of my 159's I owned as it was goosed.

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Yep, it was the epitome of sod's law. What I am slightly irked with is that the trade in wasn't great before they chipped some off for the PAS and after doing some checks today myself was even worse than I thought. That plus a couple of other elements to do with the deal are cooling me on that particular car but at least I have confirmed I want one.

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Well, car bought. ST 300 4drive, heated buckets, upgraded Nav, radar cruise, upgraded sound system, connectivity hub etc etc.

Different one to the one I drove but a better spec for me and a much better deal too without all the "sales" flannel nonsense as well. I now will do my typical buyer's remorse.

Reactions: LouG

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
Well, car bought. ST 300 4drive, heated buckets, upgraded Nav, radar cruise, upgraded sound system, connectivity hub etc etc.

Different one to the one I drove but a better spec for me and a much better deal too without all the "sales" flannel nonsense as well. I now will do my typical buyer's remorse.

Did you buy the Mystery Blue one from Warrington?

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
Yep, that's the one.

Gutted. I enquired about it via email on Friday and again Saturday morning but didn't get a reply. When I rang them Saturday afternoon they told me it had just sold!!!
Can you say what you paid for it (pm me)? I'm going to keep looking but having information about what others have paid makes negotiating easier.
Have you picked it up yet? If you have to go back to the dealer could you ask them if they can get hold of a similar car (love the spec of that one)?
Enjoy it. I'm not jealous at all!!!!

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Ach, sorry. They said someone else was keen but I wondered if it was flannel. I'm not sure though if they meant you or someone else as they said someone else had already seen it and was coming back for a second view.

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
I was very interested but I wasn't prepared to travel up to Warrington without a ballpark figure for my Leon FR ST 2.0TDI 184 as a px.
Can you say what you payed. No worries if you'd rather not.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I was very interested but I wasn't prepared to travel up to Warrington without a ballpark figure for my Leon FR ST 2.0TDI 184 as a px.
Can you say what you payed. No worries if you'd rather not.

Be prepared for a total pi** take on the value of yours.

They are using every excuse under the sun to offer peanuts.
( Dieselgate, Diesel citi tax, government anti diesel attitude etc etc )

My 2015 Leon FR SC TDi 184 with a few option packs and 18" wheels - 25k on clock was valued at just £8,250 against a new Cupra 300.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members