Coolant Help

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
I noticed my coolant was low, as I'm working in Sheffield the closest option I have is halfords.
I couldn't see that the had G13 in but they did have Comma Xstream GG40, they had a ready mixed and concentrate version.
The bottle did say it's vw/seat spec.

Can I use this instead?

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
I don't see a major issue, but you can't mix all anti-freeze. If it's low, but not too low, just fill it up with water. The existing anti-freeze should be fine further diluted (depends on where you live, if it's very cold then you might need to add abit)
Generally if the coolant colour is the same, it should be similar stuff.
In your case, GG40 uses glycol and glycerine. Where as G13 only uses glycerine.
I'm not particularly an expert in this so if you can add water that should be safer than mixing anti-freeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Cheers Mez guess I'll just use water then and see if I can get some proper stuff on the weekend.

salsajoe

Apr 12, 2017
Yorkshire
I don't see a major issue, but you can't mix all anti-freeze. If it's low, but not too low, just fill it up with water. The existing anti-freeze should be fine further diluted (depends on where you live, if it's very cold then you might need to add abit)
Generally if the coolant colour is the same, it should be similar stuff.
In your case, GG40 uses glycol and glycerine. Where as G13 only uses glycerine.
I'm not particularly an expert in this so if you can add water that should be safer than mixing anti-freeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ethylene glycol in the GG40 is poisonous to humans and animals so better to use G13 as glycerine is non-toxic and non-corrosive. Under certain conditions the ethylene glycol can break down to form various acids that can cause corrosion although the additional additives in the mixture normally prevent this. Better to add a little distilled water than mix anti-freeze.

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
I went to my local Seat garage having had a coolant emergency at new year and the parts department was closed. They just told me to go to Halfords. I topped up with the premix Comma GG40.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise