Leon Cupra vs. Golf R vs. Audi S3 - sound

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
Anyone with a Golf R or 290 willing to send their soundaktor overseas?
The one in the 265 is weak, and I won't be able to afford an exhaust or intake in quite a while, but I found it better than nothing and less exhausting than making turbo and engine noises with my mouth

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
The sound actuator can be turned off via VCDS/OBDEleven, most people hate the sound it makes. The cupra 280's exhaust is very restricted from factory and I found my car to be quieter compared to my friend's R. Removing one; or both, silencers will help with the sound of the car considerably, or do it properly and replace the whole system.

+1 This

I've got an ST Cupra 280 DSG and recently removed the centre silencer. No drone whatsoever, not too much louder, proper DSG farts (without sounding daft) and it now crackles and pops on the overrun in S mode.

Has a proper rasp to it that actually isn't a million miles away from an A45.

Honestly couldn't recommend this enough for anyone wanting a more interesting sound without going down the non-res cat back route. Cheap as chips too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
+1 This

I've got an ST Cupra 280 DSG and recently removed the centre silencer. No drone whatsoever, not too much louder, proper DSG farts (without sounding daft) and it now crackles and pops on the overrun in S mode.

Honestly couldn't recommend this enough for anyone wanting a more interesting sound without going down the non-res cat back route. Cheap as chips too.

Interesting. Sounds like something I’d be interested in. Thanks

Liam0161

Apr 23, 2017
Manchester
+1 This

How much did this cost you and where did you get it done? If you don’t mind me asking as I’m from Manchester too.

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
Sorry for a silly question, but is the centre silencer the big one with the wonky pipe under the car?

It's the triangular one on the left of this picture, guess you could actually call it the front one but I've always heard to referred to as the mid or centre box.
f242ff0f7d8aafc859b0cddebe13875a.jpeg

Here you can see it removed:
5a1df7693d5eacb241460186ff992338.jpeg

These aren't my pictures, but I'm fairly sure they are from the ST. The 3 and 5 door models have a different setup I think. Basically if you do this to an ST Cupra 280 you end up with a 290, aurally at least

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Not sure about the S3 but I prefer the noise of my Golf R over my previous Cupra 280. Certainly on the interior it sounds better due to the different soundaktor - sounds more like the old Subaru boxer engine. The exterior sounds different on the R as well because in race mode, the outer exhaust flaps open - in other modes, they stay shut and the estate doesn't have flaps at all. If you see any Rs driving about, you will notice on some that the exhaust tips on the inner pipes are more discoloured or blacker than the outer tips due to the inner pipes always having exhaust gases going through them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I'm quite disappointed with the exhaust sound of the 290ST. After hearing plenty of S3's and R's I assumed it would be similar as it's the same engine but it's so much quieter.

As for the soundaktor I turned it down to 20% which I think is a good level. Adds a bit of depth at low rpm but still let's you hear the engine note which I really like.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

CupraNJ

Apr 4, 2017
Bristol
Trouble with the ST is it has an extra silencer in compared to the 5 and 3 door 290s

Not really. It has resonator directly after the cat. Then the exhaust passes under the rear axle then splits and feeds into a separate silencer either side of the spare wheel well. So it does have three boxes but not in line.

Last edited:

CupraNJ

Apr 4, 2017
Bristol
It's the triangular one on the left of this picture, guess you could actually call it the front one but I've always heard to referred to as the mid or centre box.
f242ff0f7d8aafc859b0cddebe13875a.jpeg

Here you can see it removed:
5a1df7693d5eacb241460186ff992338.jpeg

These aren't my pictures, but I'm fairly sure they are from the ST. The 3 and 5 door models have a different setup I think. Basically if you do this to an ST Cupra 280 you end up with a 290, aurally at least

This isn't the ST setup. It's the 280 SC & 5 door.

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
This isn't the ST setup. It's the 280 SC & 5 door.

I'll take your word for it. Either way the rounded triangular section that was removed in the pictures was the section that was removed from mine. Kept hold of it in case I ever need to revert back to stock.

So if you have a Cupra ST 280 and want to give it a nice rasp, crackle on the overrun and have zero drone for less than £100, you know what to do ✌️

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I'll take your word for it. Either way the rounded triangular section that was removed in the pictures was the section that was removed from mine. Kept hold of it in case I ever need to revert back to stock.

So if you have a Cupra ST 280 and want to give it a nice rasp, crackle on the overrun and have zero drone for less than £100, you know what to do ✌️

That's sounds ideal! Will it affect mot/emissions stuff?

Would it do the same for the 280SC?

Last edited:

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
That's sounds ideal! Will it affect mot/emissions stuff?

Would it do the same for the 280SC?

No the cats are still there and it's not actually that much louder so will pass emissions and noise regs.

I ran a non-resonated 3" cat-back on a MK6 GTI which was much louder and that passed MOT fine.

Long as you don't remove the cats you'll have no issues, unless you removed al silencers and then you might run into noise regs issues. It'd probably be unbearable as a daily driver though so wouldn't recommend that!

Far as doing it on a 280SC, I'm not sure as the setup/exhaust plan is different. I'd start by removing the rounded triangular section that's closest to the front of the car, seeing how that sounded first. It will definitely sound better than stock that's for sure!

Last edited:

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
No the cats are still there and it's not actually that much louder so will pass emissions and noise regs.

I ran a non-resonated 3" cat-back on a MK6 GTI which was much louder and that passed MOT fine.

Long as you don't remove the cats you'll have no issues, unless you removed al silencers and then you might run into noise regs issues. It'd probably be unbearable as a daily driver though so wouldn't recommend that!

Far as doing it on a 280SC, I'm not sure as the setup/exhaust plan is different. I'd start by removing the rounded triangular section that's closest to the front of the car, seeing how that sounded first. It will definitely sound better than stock that's for sure!

Oh and if you want to hear the pops and crackles on the overrun the engine needs to be in Cupra and the gearbox in S. For DSG at any rate.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
in the grand scheme of things a turbo charged 2 litre 4 pot is never going to sound great no matter what you do to it. I hate the speakers system in mine and it sounds daft but I can't be arsed to fiddle with it as its a lease car and my daily. the 5 cylinder in the Rs3 does make a much better noise and growl than the 4 pot.

give me a flat six and GT3 at 8200 rpm with sports boxes any day ;-)

I do love a screaming small block v8 like the m3 and the v10 in a lambo or audi r8 is just amazing.

Last edited:

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
in the grand scheme of things a turbo charged 2 litre 4 pot is never going to sound great no matter what you do to it. I hate the speakers system in mine and it sounds daft but I can't be arsed to fiddle with it as its a lease car and my daily. the 5 cylinder in the Rs3 does make a much better noise and growl than the 4 pot.

give me a flat six and GT3 at 8200 rpm with sports boxes any day ;-)

I do love a screaming small block v8 like the m3 and the v10 in a lambo or audi r8 is just amazing.

While I completely agree with all of that, what you've just said is a bit like popping into a Mc Donald's, ordering a Big Mac and telling the person in the queue next to you that you prefer a good fillet steak

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.