bridgestones are awfull

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
just popped out and the grip on my tyres are awfull.in fact they are dangerous imho!!!
just sat at some traffic lights on a hill and went to pull away and just couldn't get going.everytime I pull away off an island the car just keeps twitching.
I really don't know if this is normal.the car just doesn't feel right at the moment.
I appreciate that there is a lot of torque on the 184 but im only touching the accelerate slightly.
has anyone else been experiencing this?
they are the standard bridgestone potenzas.(I do hope its the tyres and not something wrong with the car)
any feedback much appreciated.

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
I'm getting them changed tomorrow.i just don't have any confidence with the bridgetones at all.

jpor

May 10, 2015
Cheshire
I'm getting them changed tomorrow.i just don't have any confidence with the bridgetones at all.

Had the same problem on my 184 from New with Bridgestone S001s fitted. Switched to Michelin pilot sport 4s on the 18” upgraded alloys and it transformed the car. Had grip felt more confident in the wet and around corners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
The temperature has dipped below 7 degrees again, so summer tyres aren’t at their best.
Winter tyres aren’t just for snow.

Not everyone has space to store a set of wheels for winter nor perhaps the cash for that initial outlay but i would say consider it as an option.

That said the Bridgestones get slated even in the warm weather!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Had the same problem on my 184 from New with Bridgestone S001s fitted. Switched to Michelin pilot sport 4s on the 18” upgraded alloys and it transformed the car. Had grip felt more confident in the wet and around corners.

Are they definitely 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s you had fitted ?

Where did you get them cos I can only find the standard PS4 in 18" not the S

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
my current Leon was my first experience of bridgestone tyres. They are certainly not as good as the other premium brands. The most annoying thing about them was the road noise. Very noisy.

I've now got Goodyear F1A3's on the rear and Michelin PS4 on the front. I can be quite clumsy with the throttle in the wet and the PS4's just grip whereas the bridgestones would easily break traction.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I had the Turanza ER300 Ecopia on my 2.0 TDI 150 DSG... in the wet, foot down, wheelspin + TC light all the way. 205/55 R16s

Even in dry and not too cold...it spins with TC light on. and I only have 150PS! and about 5-6mm tread..

Now got a smaller engine with Bridgestone (AGAIN!) from factory on the car Potenza RE050A this time. But..this one is much better...these are 215/40 R17s. Or perhaps more so the lack of power...110PS only this time.

alper

Feb 28, 2016

The "s" means the plural of "Sport 4" not the actual "Sport 4S" right ?

Pilot Sport 4S only comes in 18" in 245/40/18 (which is stupid high) and only in the US so I think your tyre is Pilot Sport 4, not 4S. That been said, PS4 is a great tire also, just not the same thing as the 4S which is probably the best non track-tire out there currently.

Last edited:

jpor

May 10, 2015
Cheshire
The "s" means the plural of "Sport 4" not the actual "Sport 4S" right ?

Pilot Sport 4S only comes in 18" in 245/40/18 (which is stupid high) and only in the US so I think your tyre is Pilot Sport 4, not 4S. That been said, PS4 is a great tire also, just not the same thing as the 4S which is probably the best non track-tire out there currently.

Yes Michelin PS4 ;)
The s on the end meant all 4 tyres changed to them. Couldn’t wait for the rears to wear as like the poster has quoted they are an awful tyre. These tyres will transform your car to something more enjoyable.

alper

Feb 28, 2016
Yes Michelin PS4 ;)
The s on the end meant all 4 tyres changed to them. Couldn’t wait for the rears to wear as like the poster has quoted they are an awful tyre. These tyres will transform your car to something more enjoyable.

I know the PS4 is already a big improvement to the Bridgestones so I can only guess how better the PS4S with all those raving user reviews, will be. I will be moving to a 19" set mostly because the 4S don't and won't come in 18".

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
How does the Michelin Primacy 4 compare to the Pilot Sport 4s?

Primacy is a Touring tyre - so it's for boring sedans & estate cars, almost all are 45 profile or higher. They are long lasting and give good mpg
Pilot Sport is a Max Performance tyre - for sporty cars with profiles from 30 up. They give grip!

Last edited:

ewen1605

Jan 17, 2016
Sheffield
Primacy is a Touring tyre - so it's for boring sedans & estate cars, almost all are 45 profile or higher. They are long lasting and give good mpg
Pilot Sport is a Max Performance tyre - for sporty cars with profiles from 30 up. They give grip!

Sweet thanks

Thinking of changing out my Bridgestones after the car arrives

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Okay so here's what I'm thinking. I'd love to buy a Cupra DSG when I change cars this/next year, however although we rarely get icy/snowy conditions what's putting me off slightly is how the car will perform in said conditions on standard tyres.

I'm lazy and can't really be ar5ed with this winter tyre swappy thingy, so would something like this be a reasonable compromise or would it completely ruin what the Cupra is all about when driving in normal conditions?

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate#tdp

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Yup. Bridgestones on my last Leon were pants after 6000 miles.

Not as bad as the Toyos that were on my Mazda 3 though... pretty sure you shouldn't get lift off oversteer whilst trundling around a corner at 40mph :O

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I hate my potenzas in the wet, always have done and I'm now at 15500 on them with life left. Unfortunately cash doesn't allow for a new set of boots just because I 'don't like them especially as it's only really when you are slightly more enthusiastic with the right foot (by slightly I mean SLIGHTLY). I only have the 150 fr so God knows how you cupra lads do it if you have them lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
We manage by changing them as soon as possible! Tbh they are decent tyres in the dry but the wet grip is awful. I just had a full set of Goodyear Asymmetric 3 fitted and they are a bit better but not a huge difference imo. I will definitely go for the PS4's next time due to fellow members swearing by them

armd02

Nov 10, 2017
I also believe that Bridgstones are awful tyres. Cost me a lot of money to repair damaged suspension on a previous Subaru Legacy when they let go on a corner, absolute pants. I was running winter tyres year round last 2-3 years as my mileage is low and because my previous Golf GTD Estate came with Potenzas. Changed to a Leon ST in Nov'17 and immediately swapped the Bridgestones (again!) for Pirelli Cinturato All Season Plus (better deal than the Michelin C/C's). Been good so far but the first real test will come today if my wife manages to ge the car out of our estate as it's uphill most of the way.