Handling mods?

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
right,

cars going nurburgring in april,
it was my daily till i sold my boc,

i want it to handle as best as humanly possible.

so ive just ordered:
Bilstein B14s to replace the joms,
OMP front upper Strut brace,
OMP front lower Strut brace,
Whiteline Front Anti Roll Bar,
Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar,
Powerflex- Front Wishbone Rear(Race),
Powerflex- Front Wishbone Front(Race),
Powerflex- Dog Bone Mount(Purple)
Powerflex- Rear Beam mount(Not sure if i need 72.5mm or 69mm) anyone know?
Autec 7.5j et38 8.5KG alloys,
Federal RSR 215/40/17" tyres,
20mm Spacers all round(not 100% it will work yet),
Full Brake rebuild kit(for the APS),
Ferrodo DS2500s (front),
discs im undecided atm- Suggestions?,
Motul RBF660,
Braided lines F+R,

im tempted to buy the Vibratechnics engine mount setup atm, :rolleyes:

but after that im at a loss for what to buy next to make it go!

i cant find anyone selling a forge rear strut brace atm.(if u have one pm me(even if not for sale))

so basically-
Discs- which ones are best? i heat spotted my old Brembo HCs on the boc :whistle:
Rear Beam bush size- ?!?!?
Rear strut brace- where can i get one!!

any other handling mods please list em!

(car will be setup properly once coilovers/etc are fitted)

Pete.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I wouldn't bother with upper strut braces (front and rear), waste of time and don't actually do anything.
Most aren't designed properly either so double waste of time.

If you heat spotted Brembo HC discs then maybe try Brembo Max?

Vibra technics engine mounts would be a good shout if you're running original ones which are probably quite tired and floppy by now.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
I wouldn't bother with upper strut braces (front and rear), waste of time and don't actually do anything.
Most aren't designed properly either so double waste of time.

If you heat spotted Brembo HC discs then maybe try Brembo Max?

Vibra technics engine mounts would be a good shout if you're running original ones which are probably quite tired and floppy by now.

Re strut braces, can't see em doing any harm, and every little helps dude.
But yeah think the vibration mounts will be on order soon.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
If you've got the money to spend then help yourself, but the reality is they do nothing and you're adding weight to a track car.

Front top bars do the least, that area is already fairly strong due to the firewall.
Adjustable braces are fairly useless as well, they'll just flex at the adjustment point, as will any bar thats abit of a slack fit.

If you're serious about stiffening the car up then fit a cage.
If you're serious about track work then fit a cage.

denMla

Mar 27, 2010
Croatia
About front and rear strut bars:
It is not very pronounced difference as doing coilovers but i can asure you every little helps and the outcome is sum of all parts instaled/tweaked. If you want to do some real fast track driving I think you should get strut braces.
I got them and while it is true they do nothing or almost nothing when driving normal or even tad spirited you will apreciate the increased compose of the chassis when you start pushing it real hard.
Also can say instaling poly bushes all around, front and rear get's me massive improvement in handling or steering. Have instaled poly bushes from Stronglex as they where cheaper than usual suspects here and havent regret it.
About spacers - maybe to much 20 mm with 7,5J ET38. Try google "will they fit" or similar. It will show you how much poke you'l get compared with previos setup.
Of course, YMMV aplies as usual. :)

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
About front and rear strut bars:
It is not very pronounced difference as doing coilovers but i can asure you every little helps and the outcome is sum of all parts instaled/tweaked. If you want to do some real fast track driving I think you should get strut braces.
I got them and while it is true they do nothing or almost nothing when driving normal or even tad spirited you will apreciate the increased compose of the chassis when you start pushing it real hard.
Also can say instaling poly bushes all around, front and rear get's me massive improvement in handling or steering. Have instaled poly bushes from Stronglex as they where cheaper than usual suspects here and havent regret it.
About spacers - maybe to much 20 mm with 7,5J ET38. Try google "will they fit" or similar. It will show you how much poke you'l get compared with previos setup.
Of course, YMMV aplies as usual. :)

ive got 20mm on my stock cupra wheels which are 7j et38(i think??) atm, but am only running a 205 40 vs the 7.5j 215 40 i will be running.

denMla

Mar 27, 2010
Croatia
ive got 20mm on my stock cupra wheels which are 7j et38(i think??) atm, but am only running a 205 40 vs the 7.5j 215 40 i will be running.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=40&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7&offset=18&width2=215&aspect2=40&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=7-5&offset2=18

Look here. It might work. Just compare result with what you have now. For ET I was puting 18 as ET38 - 20mm distance equals ET18.
But! Somewhere in the back of head rings like original ET is 43. So in that case you will have something like this difference:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=40&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7&offset=23&width2=215&aspect2=40&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=7-5&offset2=18

Please check what ET you got now so you can compare poke with new setup.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members