Kessy weirdness - am I being thick?

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
So, my new Cupra has Kessy.

To unlock the car I stroll up to it with the key in my pocket, touch the sensor on the door handle and hey presto it unlocks. Get in, press the pulsing starter button and off I go. All, worryingly easy.

To lock it the manual suggests it's a reverse of that, i.e. switch the car off, get out, shut the door, touch the sensor on the handle and it should lock. It doesn't!

The manual even seems to suggest once locked it won't open for a short while to allow you to check door handles to make sure it's locked.

It does lock fine by pressing the button on the key and if you press and hold the mirrors fold as they should etc etc.

Is there some setting somewhere in the system I've missed or accidentally changed and now can't find or is it something else?

I've also noticed that contrary to what the manual says there's no button on the b pillar to switch off the internal sensor. I occasionally leave the dog in the car for 10 minutes or so so I need to be able to do this! A quick search suggests that you actually do it by pressing the lock button a second time and holding it for a couple of seconds. Can anyone confirm that's the case?

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
So, my new Cupra has Kessy.

To unlock the car I stroll up to it with the key in my pocket, touch the sensor on the door handle and hey presto it unlocks. Get in, press the pulsing starter button and off I go. All, worryingly easy.

To lock it the manual suggests it's a reverse of that, i.e. switch the car off, get out, shut the door, touch the sensor on the handle and it should lock. It doesn't!

The manual even seems to suggest once locked it won't open for a short while to allow you to check door handles to make sure it's locked.

It does lock fine by pressing the button on the key and if you press and hold the mirrors fold as they should etc etc.

Is there some setting somewhere in the system I've missed or accidentally changed and now can't find or is it something else?

I've also noticed that contrary to what the manual says there's no button on the b pillar to switch off the internal sensor. I occasionally leave the dog in the car for 10 minutes or so so I need to be able to do this! A quick search suggests that you actually do it by pressing the lock button a second time and holding it for a couple of seconds. Can anyone confirm that's the case?

How exactly are you locking and unlocking the car. Where are you touching the handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Button on the B-Pillar to deactivate the internal sensor was deleted from UK specification cars about 2 years ago or so. It's still available for other markets so unfortunately the all-encompassing owners manual does list some features you don't have.

As for the process for locking, you're describing exactly how it should work, so it's hard to diagnose a possible fault...

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
How exactly are you locking and unlocking the car. Where are you touching the handle?

On the little sensor thingy on the door handle. Covering it with my thumb. Works a treat when opening up. No effect when closing.

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Ta both, it is puzzling as if the sensor on the handle was goosed then it wouldn't open it.

Locking it by pressing the button on the key is hardly a chore and is a nice confirmation that also allows me to fold the mirrors but all the same I'd like to know why it isn't doing it on the handle.

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
On the little sensor thingy on the door handle. Covering it with my thumb. Works a treat when opening up. No effect when closing.

Don’t touch the indent on the outside of the handle to unlock. Put your hand down the inside of the handle and it will unlock. To lock you touch the indent. Hold your finger on it to fold the mirrors in

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
On the little sensor thingy on the door handle. Covering it with my thumb.
Are you holding the handle as you would to pull the door open when you do it?

If you are you could be confusing it. Just touch the indent with your index finger without holding the handle.

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Aha, thanks gents.

Yes, just pulling on the handle opened it nicely.

Still seemed to be no joy on locking it; however it's wet so I rubbed my sleeve over it and "clunk" - locked.

Tried again and the issue seems to have been my thumb technique over the sensor. With my thumb it won't do it, if I put my palm over it, it locks. Thumb obviously not managing to cover it enough.

Phew!

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
Aha, thanks gents.

Yes, just pulling on the handle opened it nicely.

Still seemed to be no joy on locking it; however it's wet so I rubbed my sleeve over it and "clunk" - locked.

Tried again and the issue seems to have been my thumb technique over the sensor. With my thumb it won't do it, if I put my palm over it, it locks. Thumb obviously not managing to cover it enough.

Phew!

I had the same problem. I just hold my index finger on it now. Glad you got it sorted

Benmac

Jan 7, 2018
Are you holding the handle as you would to pull the door open when you do it?

If you are you could be confusing it. Just touch the indent with your index finger without holding the handle.

Ah, that's a good point, yes I was. Not pulling on it but certainly holding it gently. That may be it. What a dumbass! :doh:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I had the same issue when mine was new.

All that effort to master it, looking stupid in front of passengers, and the bl**dy thing's easier to steal as well!

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
Annoying it's only on the front doors though. My old Focus had all doors active, so when you approached the car with your shopping you could open via the rear door.

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
I bought signal blocking wallets for £10 each in Halfords. Key goes straight in that when I get home so they’d need to break in

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
I have a CUPRA 290 no KESSY, however I also have a week old KIA PICANTO GT Line S with KESSY (or KIA equivalent) works a treat, no problems, also works with the tailgate, just touch the button, key in pocket, works always, no issues. To lock the doors, press the button on the door handle, walk away, car locked.Job done.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Don't feel silly. We had our Toyota for months before I discovered keyless entry. My wife told me it was there :redface:

In my defence, she did drive it daily, I didn't.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.