Temporary loan car advice please

Derv4194

Nov 25, 2017
Hi All,

I have a Cupra order due for delivery probably around early June (factory order accepted 8th Jan but no build date from dealer yet - just 20 to 22 week estimation).

I plan to VT my BMW 1 series, but i'm not sure about timing, and what to do in the interim until the Cupra comes. I can VT anytime from now, and car will be due a service, 1st MOT, and probably rear tyres and brakes in probably around 2 - 3 months. So altogether quite a wad of cash!

I always need a car for work, so i think i'm left with the following options and would really appreciate any advice you may have:

1. Keep current car till delivery of new car. Means no time without a car, but extra expenses in maintaining the current car as noted above.

2. VT current car now. Means i wont have to pay big maintenance bills as above, but will need to either buy a banger for a few months, or find someone who can loan me car for a few months (dealer said Seat dont offer anything like this, and the likes of enterprise/hertz etc seem to be about the same price i am paying per month on my current car).

3. Another idea i havent thought of!

Thanks for reading, and for any help you might be able to give.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
You mention a hire car from Hertz or the like. That sounds like the best option to me. Same monthly price but no tax/insurance/maintenance to worry about and will be more reliable than a banger. You can extend a week at a time until you don't need it and don't have to worry about trying to sell it at the end.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Derv4194

Nov 25, 2017
You mention a hire car from Hertz or the like. That sounds like the best option to me. Same monthly price but no tax/insurance/maintenance to worry about and will be more reliable than a banger. You can extend a week at a time until you don't need it and don't have to worry about trying to sell it at the end.

Thanks for your reply. Didnt realise you dont have to have an insurance policy for a hire car - is this definitely correct? I suppose i could keep current car until insurance renews in order to get my years no claims (think that is in next couple of months too actually) then start a new policy on the new car when it comes.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Thanks for your reply. Didnt realise you dont have to have an insurance policy for a hire car - is this definitely correct? I suppose i could keep current car until insurance renews in order to get my years no claims (think that is in next couple of months too actually) then start a new policy on the new car when it comes.
Well I was certain but now you've made me question myself! No, I'm positive you don't it's all in the price. There will be an option to waiver the excess too which would be a good idea if you're having it long term, for a day or two I never bother but a few months is asking for bad luck.

Re your current car you could always hand it back now but keep paying the insurance so you get the no claims while saving a bit of money. If you pay monthly the insurer might even let you pay off the rest in a lump sum and save you a few months interest.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
You are typically looking at around £700+ a month to hire a car with insurance.

Is it going to be any cheaper to service/mot/tyres your car and keep it ?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Re your current car you could always hand it back now but keep paying the insurance so you get the no claims while saving a bit of money.

Be very careful doing this.

There are some well documented cases of people selling a car/bike and not cancelling the insurance.

The new owner does something stupid and invalidates their insurance and has an accident.

Because your policy is still live on the car - your insurance company is liable and so are you.

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
Hi All,

I have a Cupra order due for delivery probably around early June (factory order accepted 8th Jan but no build date from dealer yet - just 20 to 22 week estimation).

I plan to VT my BMW 1 series, but i'm not sure about timing, and what to do in the interim until the Cupra comes. I can VT anytime from now, and car will be due a service, 1st MOT, and probably rear tyres and brakes in probably around 2 - 3 months. So altogether quite a wad of cash!

I always need a car for work, so i think i'm left with the following options and would really appreciate any advice you may have:

1. Keep current car till delivery of new car. Means no time without a car, but extra expenses in maintaining the current car as noted above.

2. VT current car now. Means i wont have to pay big maintenance bills as above, but will need to either buy a banger for a few months, or find someone who can loan me car for a few months (dealer said Seat dont offer anything like this, and the likes of enterprise/hertz etc seem to be about the same price i am paying per month on my current car).

3. Another idea i havent thought of!

Thanks for reading, and for any help you might be able to give.

With regards to the VT, I was told once I give them in writing that I wished to terminate that the car is now back in their possession. Meaning any planned maintenance is their problem?
I went through the process last July and it only took a week from me sending the VT letter in writing to me handing the car back and collecting my new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Be very careful doing this.

There are some well documented cases of people selling a car/bike and not cancelling the insurance.

The new owner does something stupid and invalidates their insurance and has an accident.

Because your policy is still live on the car - your insurance company is liable and so are you.
I also heard the same. Never allow a car you don't own / have responsibility for have a valid insutance policy under your name. Could be very costly.

Derv4194

Nov 25, 2017
With regards to the VT, I was told once I give them in writing that I wished to terminate that the car is now back in their possession. Meaning any planned maintenance is their problem?
I went through the process last July and it only took a week from me sending the VT letter in writing to me handing the car back and collecting my new car!

I agree with what you're saying - if i VT pretty soon they i know i wont have to pay servicing/MOT/tyres/brakes etc, but the downside is i will have to hire a car for longer. So just trying to weigh up the best option and best timing to VT. Im guessing if i VT after the service due date they will say i need to pay for it as im contravening 'fair wear & tear' rules?

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
I agree with what you're saying - if i VT pretty soon they i know i wont have to pay servicing/MOT/tyres/brakes etc, but the downside is i will have to hire a car for longer. So just trying to weigh up the best option and best timing to VT. Im guessing if i VT after the service due date they will say i need to pay for it as im contravening 'fair wear & tear' rules?

Yeah I think you need to ensure it is services but other than that I only paid for scuffed alloys as everything else was considered fair wear and tear

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Scrap that idea then. Not a good option after all.

You can still let the car go - but make sure you tell the insurance to stop covering it.

You can suspend the policy on your current car and just tell them you will provide new car details when it arrives.

The only downside is you will still have to keep paying the insurance.

Derv4194

Nov 25, 2017
Just found some companies are offering a short term car lease, anything from 1 to 6 months on a rolling contract. Seems like it might be a way to go, and some dont include insurance which would mean i could continue my current policy and not lose any no claims bonus.

i imagine they do what they say on the tin as it were, but has anyone had any experience of these short term deals? any recommended companies?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.